the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

Krow

Crowman
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

^I am for GlacialPower 650AA. TG-500 is at best a mediocre PSU. Instead OP may have a look at Tagan BZ500.

Dant3

Right off the assembly line

core i5 750
gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
Transcend/Kingston DDR3 RAM 2x2GB Kit or corsair's kit for overclocking
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Cooler Master CM690 cabinet
Tagan BZ500 or corsair VX550W or GlacialPower 650AA PSU
samsung dvd burner or sony bluray combo drive (dvd burn and bluray read)
GPU: better check with store which professional cards they can get (nvidia quadro or ati firegl) under 17k. they won't keep it in stock. once you get the models, we can advice on which one to get
apc 1KVA UPS

Hey Desiibond and Krow...thanks for your replies!
I don't really need such an advanced Graphic card.I presently somehow am managing to work without one.
I was considering making it 'future-proof' by getting the ATI 5770..but would rather wait for Nvidia to release their cards in April.What would you guys suggest?
For the time being I just need something simple that'll allow me to play games such as COD6 and run a full hd 24" monitor.
Krow suggested the GTX 260 Palit SONIC (factory overclocked.)
Hopefully saving some money there,I'd want to look at a slightly better motherboard (Msi P55 GD 65 perhaps or ASUS if you'd recommend any of them with an i5.)
Oh and would I need something more than the stock cooler if I wasn't oc'ing?
Thanks again..
Dante.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

the only dx11 that justifies it's price a bit is HD5850. HD5770 is grossly overpriced.

once you start using a workstation graphics, you will get to know what you were missing till now. :)

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quadro-fx-4800,2258-5.html

my pick would be ATI FireGL V5700 PCIe 2.0 card with 512MB memory which is available inside 20k.

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quadro-fx-4800,2258-10.html

A Quadro FX 4800 moves up to 10 times faster when running workstation applications than the GeForce GTX 280. This leads swiftly to a clear and inescapable conclusion: there's no good reason to use a GeForce graphics card for workstation applications. It just doesn't pay.
-tomshardware.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
in the end, it depends on what you want to do more. gaming or design.

I wouldn't recommend using overclocked processor for 3d design and core i5 is powerful enough to stay off from overclocking. :)

still, if you want to have an aftermarket cooler, my pick would be Megahalem rev.B that supports socket 1156

Last edited:

Dant3

Hey..thanks again Desii.
Checked out the reviews.I see why you're saying those should be my first options...but alas as much as I'd like to have them,they're way beyond my budget at the moment! :(
I think I'll just have to go for a cheaper alternative for now until finances allow me to splurge a bit.
I know and understand absolutely NOTHING about graphic cards other than the fact that there are 2 major companies..Nvidia and Ati.
Would be very grateful if you could recommend a card that I could make do with for basic gaming (and Maya work only involves playblasting..so don't need something very high-end at all.)
Also could you please suggest some other mobos in case the one you mentioned isn't available?
Thanks for all your inputs again..
Dante

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

that was just an example. you can get a workstation card for as low as 5k.
Posted again:
check these mobos for P55:

*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=3913&category_slug=p55-chipset_7z
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=3848&category_slug=p55-chipset
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=3895&category_slug=p55-chipset_vx
Posted again:
GPU:

mainstream: GTX260 that Krow mentioned.
workstation: nvidia Quadro FX580 for some 8k-9k. or FX380 for 6k-7k

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman

But the Gigabyte P55M-UD2 is a really solid and VFM board. I would rather wait for it than splurge money on any other expensive one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ Dant3 - You will not need any 3rd party cpu cooler if you are going to use the cpu @ stock speed.

Get a palit 9800GT @ rs. 5.7K as of now - it supports cuda and will do just fine with your current requirements. Later on say after a year add a good DX11 gpu :p

jeanjosefprasad

hello all - i recently purchased this i7 rig [i have come overseas for college] but im having a twinge of guilt because i have a feeling that i could have gotten this rig much cheaper back home in kolkata - just to quench my curiosity can someone give me a rough estimate of how much this rig would cost back in india?
asus rampage ii extreme
i7 920 d0 stepping
2 sapphire hd 4890's in crossfire
crucial ballistix tracer 1600mhz 8-8-8-20 6gb
antec 1200 case
antec cp-850 psu
acer 22" non-fullhd monitor
basic keyboard/mouse
optiarc dvd writer
the rig cost me 1300 euros [90000 rupees] and im really feeling buyers guilt cuz it would probably be cheaper back home

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

asus rampage ii extreme : 27k
i7 920 d0 stepping : 14.5k
2 sapphire hd 4890's in crossfire : 13k each
crucial ballistix tracer 1600mhz 8-8-8-20 6gb : corsair's for 11k-12k
antec 1200 case : not sure but should be around 9k
antec cp-850 psu : not sure and should be around 9k-10k
acer 22" non-fullhd monitor : 9.5k-10k
basic keyboard/mouse : 700 bucks
optiarc dvd writer : 1.1k

final price would definitely be similar or higher in India, not cheaper.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

I guess, updating the BIOS (each and everytime) as and when its released (might not) be a good idea, i mean for me , i update the BIOS (of my Evga board) only wen the latest bios has sum enhanced features say detecting extra RAM or a specific USB update...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yup, updating to new version of Bios is not required every time. If your system is running stable then there no need to update. If you are facing some probs or minor glitches or wants to upgrade your components that require a bios update then you should update.

BTW, it's recommended to check your mobo manufactuers webite once in a month for any bios updates thouh :p

Dant3

Okay guys slight change in my plan,getting my system oc'd.It's an i5..anything in the same budget range as Hyper 212 plus that you'd recommend?(Within 2k)

Plz also suggest another i7 build within 60k if possible..

thanks

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hyper 212 Plus is good CPU cooler for Core i5. If you can find it under 2K then get it without any second thought as It's the only cheapest cooler available which is compatible with Intel LGA 775 and intel core series ie i5 and i7 and all AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 cpus :p

g_suresh_mps

Proud Core i7 Owner

Friends,

I have Core i7 920+ Gigabyte EX58 UD3R

6 GB Triple channel DDR3 1066Mhz

whenever i do Video ripping using Virtual dub it takes 15 minutes to rip a 30 Minute Video

when i check Task Manager`s Performance i see only 1 Core is under use ...

How can i make use of the other 7 cores ???

Help me ...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ g_suresh_mps - what codec you are using to rip videos?? The cpu optimization greatly depends on which codec and what version of it you are using.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

I have been using JetAudio and it gives 4x speed on my desktop. you can give it a try.

Top Bottom