The Official Antivirus Thread

Which one of the following is the best according to you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironfreak

Journeyman
well my question is- how beneficial is purchasing security suit ? those are for free offer less protection ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
well if you are a person with decent knowledge of what goes in and out of your OS then definitely go for free solution.
I would say AVIRA + Comodo Firewall + Common sense. Its the best combo and even beats paid ones.

Or if you have spare bucks then get KIS security suite, its the most VFM .

But beware none of them can save you against a reckless noob user.

PS: I have tried every other antivirus and firewall before coming to a coherent conclusion. Zonealarm suck balls, avast is good but interferes a lot with other apps, avg is a piece of blueprint copy. but yeah views may differ ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
the thing is that here free ones are much better than paid ones, paid ones are generally used by organizations who need instant support and other services.

But for a home user who is aware of PC, do not need such support as such. Better put your money into something which is rare and more important.

Beside you have a whole community support for Comodo firewall, their forum is awesome. About antivir I never had any trouble to ask in forums.

ironfreak

Journeyman
I see, so AVIRA + Comodo Firewall will serve my purpose..... my main purpose is to protect pc from viruses , spy and other stuff that could crash OS, HD and destroy data.. Btw just want to know can some person (hacker) access our PC through internet ? can we protect from it ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
A good firewall can be one of the soultion to protect from hacker. Comodo will take care of that. Close the ports you dont need. Disable telnet, instead use SSH clients. There are books on network security you may like to see them

But remember there is nothing hacker proof. Coz you can't always be sure that your softwares are 100% bug free and thats the key for hackers to exploit any undetected bugs.

D

Deleted member 26636

i used avira premium trial ,norton antivirus 2009 trial & eset nod 32..on my 1gb & core2 du0 2.5ghz system...scanned a little more than 300000 files..the scanning level was set to high.with strict cleaning for all three..i was using 3ds max at the moment.

nod32 took 1hr 10mins to complete a full scan..it also consumed quite a low 6-10mb of memory...but the resident guard seemed to be using around 52mb..since in the task manager i saw two instances of nod32..so the total consumption was 6-10 + 52mb...had no problems in running 3ds max.

avira premium took 32 minutes to do the same but consumed around 12mb..its resident guard however consumed less memory than nod32..the total memory consumption was lower than nod32. while woring on 3ds max the view port sometimes freezed for 3-5 secs..apart from that..i faced no other problems.

norton antivirus 2009 took 30 minutes..memory consumption was around 6-7mb..the resident guard consumed around 50mb..the total memory consumption was lower than nod32...faced the same problem as avira..

i checked av-comparatives.org & av-test.org---both have rated avira as the top product but it also shows many false positives..out of the three eset had lowest false positives..norton in the midle..however in my case..avira didnot report any false positive..avira & norton both were awarded advanced+ by av-comparatives.org while eset nod32 received advanced.

so..now i am finally to decide between avira & norton...i wont go with eset nod32 due to longer scanning times.......but i am confused -should i use avira or norton? please suggest.

Raccoon

Journeyman
I wouldn't touch Norton, if I were you. Mc Afee and Norton are known to slow your system more than any AV on the planet.

Why dont you consider the super light weights like Dr. Web and F-Prot?

I'm surprised that NOD32 took up so much RAM on your system. When I last looked, NOD32 was v low on system resources amongst the better AVs. Also, I hope you have noticed that AVs take up varying amounts of memory... its not static. Check the usage at various times while doing various things, etc.... else you wont get a correct picture.

arijit_2404

still find time for games
You can also try Avast Home Edition. It's uses very less RAM. You can also juice up few MB RAM too!!

It has 7 detection engines -
Network Shield (LAN protector)
P2P Shield (not for torrents, for other p2p networks)
Standard Shield (plain old system protection)
Web Shield (web browsing scan)
Instant Messaging, Internet mail, Outlook/Exchange (microsoft products only)

Now if you don't have to enable all of these. For example, you can disable last 3 options if you don't use any of these. Also "Web Shield", if surfing is slow to you. P2P shield may be disabled if you're using "Torrents" for P2P.

So ultimately you will end up using 2 to 4 engines out of these. Thus reducing RAM usage.

I think Avast! is the one of the best detection ability among all of the AV. Also Home Edition is free for Life (free home license need to be renewed every year with zero cost). So you'll be using a legal product with mental peace.

Symantec’s latest offering is lighter than ever and an extremely effective security package. RAM footprint almost same as Kaspersky.

It seems Norton is back with bang.

details here: *www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/127995,norton-internet-security-2009-believe-the-hype.aspx

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

I wouldn't touch Norton, if I were you. Mc Afee and Norton are known to slow your system more than any AV on the planet.

Why dont you consider the super light weights like Dr. Web and F-Prot?

I'm surprised that NOD32 took up so much RAM on your system. When I last looked, NOD32 was v low on system resources amongst the better AVs. Also, I hope you have noticed that AVs take up varying amounts of memory... its not static. Check the usage at various times while doing various things, etc.... else you wont get a correct picture.

i wouldn't have touched norton either but tests around the globe & my own personal experience compells me too..& the amount of memory consumption at varying times quite near to what i mentioned in my earlier post..i was looking at the memory consumption at different times..doing different things..like using max, playing a movie or copying stuff..i also noted the memory usage when the system was idle.so after much thought i have decided to give Norton antivirus 2009 a try.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Norton AV 2009 is lighter compared to it's own previous versions, but seriously, KIS 2009 is better. It's engine is more efficient than that of Norton.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Give Me Your EMAIL address and I will send you KASPERSKY -KAV AND KIS Both
Trial Resetters
With Instructions
-Surely NO SPAM...............!!!

GiveMe ur email adres.
Will give u Kaspersky Trial Resetter
.................. No Sure SPAM.......for u
Should we "REPORT" you???

Status
Not open for further replies.