The news isn't good for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnathelord

In the zone
floopy era is gone
in about 5 yrs u wont even have a option to have a floopy

i have benn assembling comps for around 2 and 1/2 years and i dont remember any instance when i need a floopy

premrajeev

Journeyman
Krishna, pls dont feel bad about the following questions .

1. Have u ever updated a BIOS or flashed a corrupted one ?

2. Have u ever tried to install OSes without a Bootable CD?

3. Have u ever tried to install drivers which comes with samsung monitors, almost all NIC's and the drivers which comes in Floppies only?

I cant believe in 2 years u have not used FDD's once !!..

ARE U JUST ASSEMBLING OR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEMS IN THEM TOO ???

I too asembled not less than 50 PC's in my life (till dt), nd most cases, i use a FDD to boot a fresh PC.

I am not a Service mechanic nor a copm professional, But I have done my BTech in Electronics and done some h/w courses. I was a tech geek all my life..

rohanbee

Padawan
What are you talking about. I haven't used a floppy too......................
Installed XP in my comp without floppy.
Updated bios directly from the intel website.........its a self installer package and is regularly updated there!!!
You need bootable cd's not floppy drives..........

Krishna is right just like audio tapes haven't completely vanished after the cd's came in similarly the floppy's haven't vanished either by the advent of the cd-rom but they are on a quick trail to extinction...........

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Dear Friends!

Plz stop fighting.

Those who use FDDs - Plz don't tell others da advantages of using FDD. If they don't want 2 know n want 2 argue. so just don't answer them. They r happy without FDD, llet them be happy.

Those who don't use FDDs - Plz don't tell FDD users if u r happy not using Floppies. v know why do v need floppy n u know why u don't need floppy, so plz don't argue upon using or not using FDD. V r happy using them so plz don't tell us why not 2 use them.

I started this topic here coz i wanted 2 know da prices n gud performing FDDs. So i got my answer. Dear Mods if u want u can lock topic.

Dear Users. I'm really sorry that coz of my topic sum ppl here started arguing. so its all my fault that i posted it here. i must not hav posted it here. but do hav gone in da market n cried for sum FDD. perhaps sum 1 wud help me n no 1 will be arguing so just SORRY 2 post da topic. :oops:

Dear Mod i request 2 to lock da topic. Now its all upon u.

SORRY once again. :roll:

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Keith Sebastian said:
Updates are possible via binaries executed in Windows. I've updated/downgraded BIOS's scores of times. NO, I have not used floppies for this after early 2000's (say around 2002). WHY? BIOS updates are available as executables that run from Windows.

Keith

So can u tell me how 2 execute binary files under win 98 se. I've 3 updates for my BIOS but unable 2 do so as my FDD is not with me.

So plz tell how 2 execute binary files under win 98 se with cautions n precaution. Thanx :wink:

premrajeev

Journeyman
THERE are still ppl using FDD's and with older systems, older O.S's , FDD remains a convenient option for inputting DATA. This does not mean that all of us who uses FD's are sticking to old,obsolete technology..I do have a DVD writer installed in my system, and using a usb drive to transfer data now. Still, I USE FD's. They are as twice as costly whn compared to CD media, still...It depends how one uses it.That's all.

THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT. JUST WANNA EXPRESS MY VIEWS

not all ppl in the world shares the same thoughts...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Some people still find regular use for FDDs while some others consider them totally redundant or obsolete. To each his own.

@The Incredible, hey, don't feel bad about the arguments. It's not your fault. And arguments like these are a healthy way of exchanging views and opinions, and other readers who don't take part in the discussion can also benefit from the opinions expressed here.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Keith Sebastian said:
Yamaraj said:
Keith Sebastian said:
The Incredible said:
Guys The news is that "mera floppy disk drive kharaab ho gaya hai. So, i'm planning 2 buya new floppy drive so which 1 do u recommend. My budget is Rs.500
Thanx. :) [/i]

What's a floppy drive? :wink:

Keith

You'll know when your mobo BIOS goes bad, or whenever you need to
install drivers while installing any mainstream OS, with Windows not
being an exception. :wink:

- Yamaraj

Been there done that sonny. I've lived without a floppy for 2 yrs now. As for mobo bios going bad - never happened to me. Previous mobo had dual BIOS. Current one has Crashfree BIOS with auto recovery from supplied CD. Also have an image of it backed up for safe keeping.

ASUS CrashFree BIOS2
The CrashFree BIOS2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process.
ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM

Installing drivers from floppy in DOS. I run all my disks in NTFS. No DOS possible.

If you still think floppy's are a neccessity you're either -
A) Living in the past.
B) Ignorant. (i.e. never explored alternatives)
C) Have an archaic system.

Keith

You never know what's there up for you, Freddy.
While the more expensive boards do feature dual-bios or easy recovery
at a premium price, the more common ones still require the now-much-
hated floppy solution.

And, probably all you've experienced is Windows. Almost every Linux
flavour requires one to shove in a floppy disk to create an emergency
recovery disk. The Solaris OS needs driver diskettes if the host system
has some non-standard or rare elements.

So, if you've never encountered a need for a floppy disk, you're :-

(a) Apple pie lover (Steve Jobs?)
(b) a Windows-happy user, or
(c) someone with a bitter past.

And, here's my specs to counter your beliefs of it being archaic :-

AMD64 3200+ (Venice core)
ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe (Not a gamer, bought the best in the market)
Kingston KVR DDR400 2*512MB
ASUS 6200 256MB (Not a gamer)
Samsung 19" 955b CRT
Antec TrueBlue 480W (28A on +12V rails, mind you!)
TVSE LanUPS 700M
Samsung Stereo Speakers (Not an audiophile)
Seagate 80GB HDD
Samsung 1.44MB FDD (haha!)
Samsung DVD drive
HP CD16ri 16x CDRW
ASUS StarIce Cooler (Not installed right now)

If I've not included these in my signature its not because I'm ashamed of
my system specs, only that I consider it too loud for a person I am.

- Yamaraj

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
gues wat

i asked for a sony FDD n seller gave me Panasonic FDD

when i opted to return it

he said dat he'll gimme Sony but if dat 'll not work then he'll not gimme bacj dat Panasonic one

:cry:

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
gues wat

i asked for a sony FDD n seller gave me Panasonic FDD

when i opted to return it

he said dat he'll gimme Sony but if dat 'll not work then he'll not gimme bacj dat Panasonic one

:cry:

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I know this one's a pretty old thread revived by the_incredible,but let me tell you my view as well. When I bought a new system this june, I thought I had it with fdd and that I don't have to buy one coz I had bought Asus A8Ne with crash free bios and a boot cd with a backup bios in it.
But, as I was planning to have a sata raid array, I was shocked when installing windows that it still required me to fumble with a floppy.
So, unless the OSes provide us with alternates like installing raid drivers from cdrom, we have to flop around with a floppy.

[edited to replace dots with spaces]

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No.
It.shows.how.idiotic.these.OS.ppl.are.
I.mean.why.should.I.copy.the.raid.drivers.from.the.motherboard.cd.and.put.that.in.a.non-reliable.and.outdated.medium.like.floppy.drive?
What.could.their.small.minds.be.thinking?
I.mean,the.os.itself.runs-off.the.cd.drive,whic.damn.well.means.that.a.cdrom.drive.is.present.and.working.
So.u.can't.say.that.the.install.team.thought.that.the.target.system.may.not.have.a.cdrom.

premrajeev

Journeyman
yes...srishb is absolutely correct.I have personally gone through the headaches of installing raid drivers in an array of systems,which fails to read a floppy...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom