The news isn't good for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys The news is that "mera floppy disk drive kharaab ho gaya hai. So, i'm planning 2 buya new floppy drive so which 1 do u recommend. My budget is Rs.500
Thanx. :) [/i]

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I know only a very few words in Hindi, so let's see if I've got this right -

Mera = my
kharaab = bad
ho gaya hai -> not sure, but something like "gone" ??

So I think it means that your FDD has gone bad, is that right ? :) :)

Anyway, many people will tell you not to bother with floppies, but they still have their uses. The problem is that they have become so unreliable. Most people tend to blame the disks but I think manufacturers have also become more and more uncaring in making the drives too. This results in drives with improperly aligned R/W heads and mechanisms, and once you write with one drive and change the contents with another drive, the disk quickly becomes useless.

As to choice of drives, TEAC drives are good but they may no longer be available in many places. My experience is that Sony drives are better than Samsung drives. The price is around 300, +/-50 depending on the source.

Biplav

In the zone
Get one from Sony -costs Rs300 works well . no problem till date. but hey there is hardly any comparision u ll find between the floppy disk drives.get any samsung is also good.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
go for samsung or sony... btw.. i think it's very important to install a floppy disk drive, coz it's not a expensive thing and u never know when u need one :wink:

The Incredible said:
Guys The news is that "mera floppy disk drive kharaab ho gaya hai. So, i'm planning 2 buya new floppy drive so which 1 do u recommend. My budget is Rs.500

What's a floppy drive? :wink:

Keith

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Keith Sebastian said:
The Incredible said:

Keith

You'll know when your mobo BIOS goes bad, or whenever you need to
install drivers while installing any mainstream OS, with Windows not
being an exception. :wink:

- Yamaraj

supernova

Mr. S Nova
Even my floppy drive got wrecked a year back. i just burned a bootable CD and never bothered to buy another fl drive.
And now got a new laptop which don't even come with a floppy drive.

MORAL: Burn a DOS bootable CD and forget Floppy Drive

godsownman

Padawan
Sony it will come in your budget also and its a reliable drive.

I said reliable drive because it does not get spoilt as fast as the floppies do.

mamba

In the zone
1st time seeing a thread on the forum bout , which FDD 2 buy :lol: ( they say , therez always a 1st time )

go 4 sony . u will get it at the 1st place u enquire bout it

rohanbee

Padawan
My computer doesn't have a floppy. What do you use it for anyways???
Might as well use 128mb usb................serves the same purpose...........

mohit

The Hardware Labs
go for a sony drive it costs around 350-400/- .... btw i have removed mine just coz i dont like the god damn cables in my cabinet :evil:

Yamaraj said:
Keith Sebastian said:
The Incredible said:

Keith

You'll know when your mobo BIOS goes bad, or whenever you need to
install drivers while installing any mainstream OS, with Windows not
being an exception. :wink:

- Yamaraj

Been there done that sonny. I've lived without a floppy for 2 yrs now. As for mobo bios going bad - never happened to me. Previous mobo had dual BIOS. Current one has Crashfree BIOS with auto recovery from supplied CD. Also have an image of it backed up for safe keeping.

ASUS CrashFree BIOS2
The CrashFree BIOS2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process.
ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM

Installing drivers from floppy in DOS. I run all my disks in NTFS. No DOS possible.

If you still think floppy's are a neccessity you're either -
A) Living in the past.
B) Ignorant. (i.e. never explored alternatives)
C) Have an archaic system.

Keith

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Well Keith either u want it now or not but u will know its use when "u r updating BIOS' this updating can b done only by a floppy disk" n what if while updating da BIOS u hav a power failure. ur mobo wud b gone.

D

dinesh_singh

very true.....every now and then situation comes when only a floppy drives save me.....like updating bios.
and for norton ghost bootable disk.
and the biggest point is i love to work with these drives even though i have a dvd writer

The Incredible said:
Well Keith either u want it now or not but u will know its use when "u r updating BIOS' this updating can b done only by a floppy disk" n what if while updating da BIOS u hav a power failure. ur mobo wud b gone.

Updates are possible via binaries executed in Windows. I've updated/downgraded BIOS's scores of times. NO, I have not used floppies for this after early 2000's (say around 2002). WHY? BIOS updates are available as executables that run from Windows.

:lol: this updating can b done only by a floppy disk :lol:

Read my previous post again. In case of BIOS corruption, recovery is possible via supplied ASUS CD. The whole process is automated.

I'm no newbie to corrupted BIOS'es et al. Been in the game since early 90's. The only way to recover a corrupt BIOS then was to get the EEPROM chip removed, reprogrammed and re-soldered. With the current Crashfree BIOS from ASUS (I'm sure other board manufacturers will have similar technologies) recovering from a corrupt BIOS is as simple as popping in the BIOS recovery CD, reset/restarting your comp and have a cup of coffee while it does it's thing. No sweat. :wink: :lol:

Hope I've made myself clear.

Keith

premrajeev

Journeyman
do u belive my teac fdd is in operation since 97 ? TEAC drives are simply superb, and have a different mechanism inside. I have had sony's and samsungs, but none comes near TEAC.

dont know wether they are available now or not.
My case is black and my teac was white so ::just painted it in black..and u know, the upper body of this teac is rusted so removed the protective cover..it worked with my p1 133 mhz, thn amd k6-2-333 and now with my athlon xp 1.4ghz. working just fine. and read/write rate of sucess is 85%. mostly, if i try to put floppies i n other drives,they still get error msgs...but teac is superb..

mohit

The Hardware Labs
premrajeev said:
do u belive my teac fdd is in operation since 97 ?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: man that is surely an antique and u must be in love wid it dat u have kept it for sooooo long ... anyways may ur fdd have a long life . this just shows how good quality was before .. now the prices have gone no doubt but manufacturers have started compromising on quality :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom