The new top digit top laptops are out and Lenovo has been underated.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
HP & Dell are two big names, so they think their laptops will surely sell..........
My friends were like "What !!!" when I told that my laptop has better specs than Alienware 14x(at that time it had 900p display, i7, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD @ 90k) even though marginal difference but 25k is a good amount of money

It is a common practice by many companies to bribe reviewers to give good review of their product

Once GSMArena guys told that they were threatened by Apple that they won't get free review units if review was bad(this was mentioned in a story posted in their blog, I think it was S3 vs iPhone 4s)

So long ago I stopped trusting the verdict given by sites ..... I analyse them myself by reading reviews in different sites

ULV processors are a big money making strategy for Dell, HP........ One of my friend bought HP laptop with i5 ULV rather than Z500(i5 3rd fen), just because it had 4th gen i5 & was HP
Exactly sir... I have seen even the retailers around here advise to go for ULV ... i even had an experience of a guy telling me that 3337u is better than 3230m..

Nerevarine

Incarnate
There's a big difference in the recommended rigs suggested in Digit Magazine and Digit Forums.. Just see through the pages, you will know what Im talking about
Who spends 50k for "Entry level gaming PC"

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Yea that Alienware model was still around when I bought my Y500. I briefly considered it but when I saw Y500 I was like WTH!
Even now I can brag my laptop is better than Alienware 17 because of "4GB graphic card". They don't know much more than that. Just three of my hundred friends/acquaintances knew the real deal. ^.^
your 3 friends know this !!! wow i am yet to met a single person who knows that GPU memory doesn't brings the performance difference they expect... and one of them got placed @ NVIDIA!!!

- - - Updated - - -

There's a big difference in the recommended rigs suggested in Digit Magazine and Digit Forums.. Just see through the pages, you will know what Im talking about
Who spends 50k for "Entry level gaming PC"
surely the people who thinks 2Gb HD4000>>1 gb Nvidia 650m

@rohitshubham

Same here. All my friends only refers to cards on their memory, not the name. When I ask the name they reply "only 1Gb da". Am trying to change that by askin them to find out the names of their cards at least. Am sure they have got the infamous GT210.

Shiva

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Exactly sir... I have seen even the retailers around here advise to go for ULV ... i even had an experience of a guy telling me that 3337u is better than 3230m..

Cinebench R 11.5

Core i5 4200U : 2.5 points

Core i5 3230m : 3 points

Battery life

Core i5 4200u : 6+ hrs

Core i5 3230m : 4 hrs

So a ulv is slower than an ivy bridge std DC by 17% while offering 50% better battery life.

For a gamer that 17% increase is important but for a general pupose user that 50% increase in battery life is much more important than the 20% increase in performance(which the user will hardly have the oppurtunity to observe).

For a person who doesn't play games or doesn't run any heavy apps I would always recommend a ULV because of the exceptional battery life it offers without compromising much on the performance. Also the haswell I7 ULV'S(CORE I7 4500U) run as fast as the 3230m whilst offering the same exceptional battery life

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
core i7 4500U is an extremely weak processor as per "core i7" standards. It's weaker than core i5 4200M.

PassMark - Intel Core i7-4500U @ 1.80GHz - Price performance comparison

PassMark - Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz - Price performance comparison

nearly 7% percent weak.

The difference between standard and ULV processors increase in high end segment.

Take for eg. the mainstream i7 4700MQ.
PassMark - Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40GHz - Price performance comparison

It's increase in performance over the core i7 4500U is more than 100% while at the same time, it's power requirement in increased by 200% if and only if both the processors are being used 100% which is nearly impossible in case of QM processor except when running Prime95 as QM processors rarely cross the 50% mark let alone 100%. 100% in ULV processors are common occurrences. In a real world scenario, the battery consumption of a QM processor will be twice at most than ULVs.

TL;DR It's either battery life or performance. Take ULVs for shitty performance and superb battery life, vice versa for desktop replacements and performance.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
core i7 4500U is an extremely weak processor as per "core i7" standards. It's weaker than core i5 4200M.

PassMark - Intel Core i7-4500U @ 1.80GHz - Price performance comparison

"Nearly 7% weak !", because 7% is the difference between running BF4 at 20 FPS and 40 FPS, isn't it ?

PassMark - Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz - Price performance comparison

nearly 7% percent weak.

The difference between standard and ULV processors increase in high end segment.

Take for eg. the mainstream i7 4700MQ.
PassMark - Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40GHz - Price performance comparison

It's increase in performance over the core i7 4500U is more than 100% while at the same time, it's power requirement in increased by 200% if and only if both the processors are being used 100% which is nearly impossible in case of QM processor except when running Prime95 as QM processors rarely cross the 50% mark let alone 100%. 100% in ULV processors are common occurrences. In a real world scenario, the battery consumption of a QM processor will be twice at most than ULVs.

TL;DR It's either battery life or performance. Take ULVs for shitty performance and superb battery life, vice versa for desktop replacements and performance.

I will take 7% weak/6+ hrs of battery life of the I7 4500U over the 7% strong/4 hrs of battery life of the 4200M anyday !

Are you really comparing a quad core processor to a dual core processor ?, I7 4500U may belong to the I7 family but it is a dual core processor and cannot be compared to the quad core's of the I7 family(Surprise !, I7 family has other dual core's too :)...)

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I will take 7% weak/6+ hrs of battery life of the I7 4500U over the 7% strong/4 hrs of battery life of the 4200M anyday !

Are you really comparing a quad core processor to a dual core processor ?, I7 4500U may belong to the I7 family but it is a dual core processor and cannot be compared to the quad core's of the I7 family(Surprise !, I7 family has other dual core's too :)...)

core i5 4200M processors are found in laptops from 35k-45k(Y510p is an exception) whereas core i7 4200U is found in laptops from 56-80k range even though core i7 is weaker of the two. So yea paying up 15-20k more for just 2 hrs+ of battery life in justifiable.

Please. Everyone knows that core i7 4500U has 2 real cores 2 hyper threaded ones and is not a noob like you who looked it up just now. It is sold in the same segment as the core i7 4700MQ, ie 56-80k and therefore it IS comparable to i7 4700MQ.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I will take 20kINR any day over 2 hrs+ of battery life.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
core i5 4200M processors are found in laptops from 35k-45k(Y510p is an exception) whereas core i7 4200U is found in laptops from 56-80k range even though core i7 is weaker of the two. So yea paying up 15-20k more for just 2 hrs+ of battery life in justifiable.

Please. Everyone knows that core i7 4500U has 2 real cores 2 hyper threaded ones and is not a noob like you who looked it up just now. It is sold in the same segment as the core i7 4700MQ, ie 56-80k and therefore it IS comparable to i7 4700MQ.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I will take 20kINR any day over 2 hrs+ of battery life.

I wanted to explain to you that how a dual core processor with HT is not equivalent to a quad core proccy and how the cost of a laptop is not determined by only the processor but I won't bother and will leave you to your flawed conclusions.Instead I will tell you a story.

Once I went to a car showroom in order to buy a car, the car salesman showed me two models.

Model A : Top speed : 180 Km/hr , Mileage : 10 Km/L, Price : 10 L

Model B : Top speed : 150 Km/hr, Mileage : 15 Km/L, Price : 10 L

I was in a conundrum, I looked at the two models and thought hard. Model A was faster but offered poor mileage whereas model B offered good mileage but was slower. Damn ! I thought, now I have to choose betwixt the two.

In desperation I asked the guy, isn't there a car which is both fast and offers good mileage ? because I want both.He said, Yes Sir !, there exists such a model, but if you want both speed and mileage you will have to pay extra !

He showed me a third model

Model C : Top speed : 170 Km/hr, Mileage : 15 Km/L, Price : 15 L

15 Lakhs ? !, I cried in astonishment !, that is a good 5 lakhs more than the previous cars !.If you want both "performance and mileage" this is the price you must pay !, he said.

and so I bought home the model C.

snap

Lurker
^^in reality in that story the car would be 160 km/hr : 15 km/l, price 20 L

20 Lakhs!? I cried, but he spewed some nonsense about how this has some 4th gen i7 engine and better than model A with i5 and fooled me :rolleyes:

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
^^in reality in that story the car would be 160 km/hr : 15 km/l, price 20 L

20 Lakhs!? I cried, but he spewed some nonsense about how this has some 4th gen i7 engine and better than model A with i5 and fooled me :rolleyes:

Did you just say "in reality" to a fictional story ? :-D

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I wanted to explain to you that how a dual core processor with HT is not equivalent to a quad core proccy and how the cost of a laptop is not determined by only the processor but I won't bother and will leave you to your flawed conclusions.Instead I will tell you a story.

Once I went to a car showroom in order to buy a car, the car salesman showed me two models.

Model A : Top speed : 180 Km/hr , Mileage : 10 Km/L, Price : 10 L

Model B : Top speed : 150 Km/hr, Mileage : 15 Km/L, Price : 10 L

I was in a conundrum, I looked at the two models and thought hard. Model A was faster but offered poor mileage whereas model B offered good mileage but was slower. Damn ! I thought, now I have to choose betwixt the two.

In desperation I asked the guy, isn't there a car which is both fast and offers good mileage ? because I want both.He said, Yes Sir !, there exists such a model, but if you want both speed and mileage you will have to pay extra !

He showed me a third model

Model C : Top speed : 170 Km/hr, Mileage : 15 Km/L, Price : 15 L

15 Lakhs ? !, I cried in astonishment !, that is a good 5 lakhs more than the previous cars !.If you want both "performance and mileage" this is the price you must pay !, he said.

and so I bought home the model C.

Leaving gpu entirely out of this as only the Dell Inspiron 15/15R has a good one, my argument is that it's useless to buy the core i7 4500u based entirely on cpu performance + battery as it gives you extremely poor performance+ battery gain is not much over core i5 4200m even though you are paying premium.

Btw model a is still better....... Recheck.
Your second argument is rubbish and invalid as one barely reaches 100 on Indian roads let alone 180. Whereas processors can be made to reach 100% usage easily.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well this is getting bit off topic.
What I am saying is that no one should criticize the reviewer since it is his job. But what I am saying is that sometimes people with less knowledge look at this guide and will buy whatever is at the top of the list. And if he has the budget will result in buying the same and in the end it will result in a total loss of money.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well this is getting bit off topic.
What I am saying is that no one should criticize the reviewer since it is his job. But what I am saying is that sometimes people with less knowledge look at this guide and will buy whatever is at the top of the list. And if he has the budget will result in buying the same and in the end it will result in a total loss of money.

Precisely. Sorry for OT. Damn some people will never admit that core i7 4500u is trashy.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Leaving gpu entirely out of this as only the Dell Inspiron 15/15R has a good one, my argument is that it's useless to buy the core i7 4500u based entirely on cpu performance + battery as it gives you extremely poor performance+ battery gain is not much over core i5 4200m even though you are paying premium.

Btw model a is still better....... Recheck.
Your second argument is rubbish and invalid as one barely reaches 100 on Indian roads let alone 180. Whereas processors can be made to reach 100% usage easily.

Do you have any data to support your "extremely poor performance theory" ?

Review HP Envy 15-j011sg Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews : This one has a 4200M

Review Dell Inspiron 15R-5537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews : This one has a 4500U

If you look at the CPU benchmarks, I can see a performance gain of only 0.4/2.8*100=14 % for the 4200M, where is this extremely poor performance that you speak of ?

And if you compare the battery runtime benchmarks, you will observe how humongous the battery life gain is.

Oh and BTW, I did 160 in my friends Chevrolet Optra on the Delhi-Greater Noida highway !

snap

Lurker
i think what seamon meant is that people get duped and fooled in believing that i7 ulv version is superior to the i5 version but in fact i7 ulv is relatively inferior

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Do you have any data to support your "extremely poor performance theory" ?

Review HP Envy 15-j011sg Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews : This one has a 4200M

Review Dell Inspiron 15R-5537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews : This one has a 4500U

If you look at the CPU benchmarks, I can see a performance gain of only 0.4/2.8*100=14 % for the 4200M, where is this extremely poor performance that you speak of ?

And if you compare the battery runtime benchmarks, you will observe how humongous the battery life gain is.

Oh and BTW, I did 160 in my friends Chevrolet Optra on the Delhi-Greater Noida highway !

All are ideal scenarios. Real world scenario, in India, the cheapest core i7 4500U I could find was:-
Dell 15R 5537 Laptop (4th Gen Intel Core i7 4500U- 16GB RAM- 1TB HDD- 15.6 Inches Touchscreen- Win8-1 Year Seller Warranty) (Silver) - Buy Online @ Best Price | Snapdeal.com

whereas the cheapest core i5 4200M is
Dell 15R 5537 Laptop (4th Gen Intel Core i7 4500U- 16GB RAM- 1TB HDD- 15.6 Inches Touchscreen- Win8-1 Year Seller Warranty) (Silver) - Buy Online @ Best Price | Snapdeal.com

HP has gone HTC this year and are overpricing their laptops....this is the very reason why this thread was created in the first place. I am not ignoring the fact that core i7 4500U gives a superb battery life but with it comes a huge performance decrease(over core i7 4700MQ) and also a price increase(but less performance decrease if compared to core i5 4200M). For most people 6 hours of battery life is enough and if battery life is the single most important thing one is looking in a laptop then it is advisable to get a macbook air in the first place.

I still don't understand why Dell didn't go for core i7 4702 MQ instead of 4500U even though it is cheaper than core i7 4700MQ and comes with has a good balance of battery life+performance.

BTW Max I have ever done is 60 kph as I am still learning to drive :D. I was not talking about highways, you don't use them everyday. =.=

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
All are ideal scenarios. Real world scenario, in India, the cheapest core i7 4500U I could find was:-

whereas the cheapest core i5 4200M is

HP has gone HTC this year and are overpricing their laptops....this is the very reason why this thread was created in the first place. I am not ignoring the fact that core i7 4500U gives a superb battery life but with it comes a huge performance decrease(over core i7 4700MQ) and also a price increase(but less performance decrease if compared to core i5 4200M). For most people 6 hours of battery life is enough and if battery life is the single most important thing one is looking in a laptop then it is advisable to get a macbook air in the first place.

I still don't understand why Dell didn't go for core i7 4702 MQ instead of 4500U even though it is cheaper than core i7 4700MQ and comes with has a good balance of battery life+performance.

BTW Max I have ever done is 60 kph as I am still learning to drive :D. I was not talking about highways, you don't use them everyday. =.=

Theek hai bhayiya,aap jeet gye aur main haar gya.

4200M....4700mq...every processor in this world is better than the i7 4500U.

I wont even bother giving a suggestion or making comments from now on,it will only make my powerful hardware less unique

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Theek hai bhayiya,aap jeet gye aur main haar gya.

4200M....4700mq...every processor in this world is better than the i7 4500U.

I wont even bother giving a suggestion or making comments from now on,it will only make my powerful hardware less unique

wilt thou be a post then?

Top Bottom