The new top digit top laptops are out and Lenovo has been underated.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Most powerful Windows 8 laptops to buy in India - Laptops | Laptop | Notebooks Reviews | ThinkDigit Features

Lenovo gets serious in the power game: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59-390016)
Price: Rs 77,029

Last year, Lenovo got into the power game big time, with the Z series of notebooks. Not soon after, the Y500 arrived, with clear intentions of appealing to the gamer crowd who could not afford the expensive gaming laptops. The Y510p is another example of that trend, the latest example. The specs include - Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor clocking at 2.4GHz, 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M (2GB) graphics. The 15.6-inch screen runs on a Full HD resolution and the laptop packs in a 1TB hard drive. The laptop also has an “Always-On USB Port”, which allows users to charge a smartphone even if the laptop may be powered off and unplugged.

Way of life for HP: HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j109tx

Price: Rs 84,990

Quite honestly, we have not been able to figure out the difference between the HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-J001tx and this laptop, but HP decided to change the model number for some reason. We are perplexed because the spec sheet is exactly the same - Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor clocking at 2.4GHz, 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia GeForce GT 740M (2GB) graphics. In the benchmark tests, this spec is the most powerful under the virtual (and bank account) ceiling of Rs 1,00,000! For gamers, the Nvidia GeForce GT 740M has more than adequate grunt to drive the latest games. The only sacrifice for this machine is the battery life, which with so much power on board, suffers.

How did HP one beat the Y510p in benchmarks when Y510p has a much better GPU? How come it is the best under 1 lakh just because it has a touchscreen?
How is GT 740m with DDR3 memory which can barely run Thief 2014 in low enough for gamers?
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Has Digit been bribed by HP? :conspiracy:

Mods may delete this post if this seems offensive to the magazine we all love.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^^^ I dont think HP is one is for gamers :lol:
DDR3 GT740???

exactly. How can Digit do such a mistake claiming it performs best in benchmarks. At least they should posted their hypothetical benchmarks to prove it.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Don't get your panties in a bunch :)

Thinkdigit has incorrectly mentioned the specs of the HP envy leapmotion, the laptop features a 750M with a titanic 4 GB of VRam.

*hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Produc...x_Leap_Motion_TS_SE_Notebook_PC_(ENERGY_STAR)

Although I am surprised not to find Dell Insprion 15R on the list which beats the 4700mq/740m config of Hp envy 15 j109 in all-most all the benchmarks except CPU.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Don't get your panties in a bunch :)

Thinkdigit has incorrectly mentioned the specs of the HP envy leapmotion, the laptop features a 750M with a titanic 4 GB of VRam.

*hpshopping.in/hponlinestore/Produc...x_Leap_Motion_TS_SE_Notebook_PC_(ENERGY_STAR)

Although I am surprised not to find Dell Insprion 15R on the list which beats the 4700mq/740m config of Hp envy 15 j109 in all-most all the benchmarks except CPU.

Nah they are correct, the 17" has 4gb(which it will never be able to use) while the 15" does not. They got this correct check again.

But seriously what did they use to benchmark? FailMark 2015?

- - - Updated - - -

the "titanic" 4gb vram wont do any good in gaming with that gpu^^

Even worse it's DDR3, it's purely a marketing gimmick.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Nah they are correct, the 17" has 4gb(which it will never be able to use) while the 15" does not. They got this correct check again.

But seriously what did they use to benchmark? FailMark 2015?

- - - Updated - - -

Even worse it's DDR3, it's purely a marketing gimmick.

Ahh !, I thought you were comparing Lenovo to the HP Leapmotion laptop.Lenovo Y510 is definitely better than the Hp Envy 15.

The 4GB Vram helps in cases where you have more than one monitor connected or your laptop/computer has 3D capabilities(This leapmotion gimmick)

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ahh !, I thought you were comparing Lenovo to the HP Leapmotion laptop.Lenovo Y510 is definitely better than the Hp Envy 15.

The 4GB Vram helps in cases where you have more than one monitor connected or your laptop/computer has 3D capabilities(This leapmotion gimmick)

Is more than 1 external monitor even possible? What's the use? You won't be able to game with a multi-monitor setup due to the slow card.

tkin

Back to school!!
Well its been months since digit has been frantically recommending Xolo/Micromax over any major brands, and I see more exposure for chinese phones than the likes of Moto G etc(the facebook posts), so don't get so panicked, you know where to get the real picture ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Is more than 1 external monitor even possible? What's the use? You won't be able to game with a multi-monitor setup due to the slow card.
That card won't run latest games in FHD maxed out, let alone multimonitor. For that look at custom laptops.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

Yes it is possible, you will need a docking station.Also Nvidia cards support upto 4 external displays whereas AMD cards support upto 6 external displays.

Gaming wont be possible, but if you want to run multimedia content(movies etc) on say 3 displays a graphics card with 4GB Ram would be better than a GPU with 2 GB Vram because the former wont have to borrow the system RAM(graphics card borrows RAM from the system when its own is used up).

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well its been months since digit has been frantically recommending Xolo/Micromax over any major brands, and I see more exposure for chinese phones than the likes of Moto G etc(the facebook posts), so don't get so panicked, you know where to get the real picture ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That card won't run latest games in FHD maxed out, let alone multimonitor. For that look at custom laptops.

Wish that privilege was available to Indians. Otherwise look at my Y500. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is possible, you will need a docking station.Also Nvidia cards support upto 4 external displays whereas AMD cards support upto 6 external displays.

Gaming wont be possible, [/b]but if you want to run multimedia content(movies etc) on say 3 displays a graphics card with 4GB Ram would be better than a GPU with 2 GB Vram because the former wont have to borrow the system RAM(graphics card borrows RAM from the system when its own is used up).[/b]

2GB is enough for multiple displays when watching movies. Besides it won't even look good, imagine a fine firing his gun on screen 1, bullet passing through laptop screen and finally a man is hit on the third screen.

obvio..........I hope you know you can easily overclock your card upto GT 755m levels without ANY heating issues.

Planning to do those after warranty period gets over..........still have 11 months left !!!!
Moreover in my college area, temp rises upto 45C, during which my laptop runs at high temp (65-70C, even when idle)

$hadow

Geek in making
Well it was surprising to see that they arranged them as per the prices not as per the gaming requirements. Because gaming is not always about graphic card or cpu.
It is a mixture of best of both worlds which a device can offer. So there is always a need of power with performance. And as stated earlier by anupam even 650m will beat 740m so there is no need of comparing it with 755m. Though little difference but not certainly need coz it will beat it with ease.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well it was surprising to see that they arranged them as per the prices not as per the gaming requirements. Because gaming is not always about graphic card or cpu.
It is a mixture of best of both worlds which a device can offer. So there is always a need of power with performance. And as stated earlier by anupam even 650m will beat 740m so there is no need of comparing it with 755m. Though little difference but not certainly need coz it will beat it with ease.

My argument is that how the hell did they say that HP envy 15 topped all the benchmark tests below 1 lakh? What software they used? No actual benchmarks. Now say a lay man who doesn't give a damn about graphic card numbers(740m, 750m etc) and just follows this guide. He sees that HP one has been rated the best while Lenovo Y510p which is a much better device has been rated mediocre. Suppose he is a gamer , now he'll go for the HP if he reads this review whereas he could have gone for the better laptop. People look up to Digit to enlighten them but here they are themselves jumping up the bandwagon like other media/laptop company guys.

This is the only reason why the laptop gaming industry in India is not flourishing. Meanwhile Dell is cheating customers by selling Alienware 14x/17x series(not talking about Alienware 14 and 17) Haswell edition with core i7U processors.

What does HP think it is? Are they doing what HTC guys are doing in the mobile market?

My argument is that how the hell did they say that HP envy 15 topped all the benchmark tests below 1 lakh? What software they used? No actual benchmarks. Now say a lay man who doesn't give a damn about graphic card numbers(740m, 750m etc) and just follows this guide. He sees that HP one has been rated the best while Lenovo Y510p which is a much better device has been rated mediocre. Suppose he is a gamer , now he'll go for the HP if he reads this review whereas he could have gone for the better laptop. People look up to Digit to enlighten them but here they are themselves jumping up the bandwagon like other media/laptop company guys.

This is the only reason why the laptop gaming industry in India is not flourishing. Meanwhile Dell is cheating customers by selling Alienware 14x/17x series(not talking about Alienware 14 and 17) Haswell edition with core i7U processors.

What does HP think it is? Are they doing what HTC guys are doing in the mobile market?

HP & Dell are two big names, so they think their laptops will surely sell..........
My friends were like "What !!!" when I told that my laptop has better specs than Alienware 14x(at that time it had 900p display, i7, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD @ 90k) even though marginal difference but 25k is a good amount of money

It is a common practice by many companies to bribe reviewers to give good review of their product

Once GSMArena guys told that they were threatened by Apple that they won't get free review units if review was bad(this was mentioned in a story posted in their blog, I think it was S3 vs iPhone 4s)

So long ago I stopped trusting the verdict given by sites ..... I analyse them myself by reading reviews in different sites

ULV processors are a big money making strategy for Dell, HP........ One of my friend bought HP laptop with i5 ULV rather than Z500(i5 3rd fen), just because it had 4th gen i5 & was HP

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
HP & Dell are two big names, so they think their laptops will surely sell..........
My friends were like "What !!!" when I told that my laptop has better specs than Alienware 14x(at that time it had 900p display, i7, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD @ 90k) even though marginal difference but 25k is a good amount of money

It is a common practice by many companies to bribe reviewers to give good review of their product

Once GSMArena guys told that they were threatened by Apple that they won't get free review units if review was bad(this was mentioned in a story posted in their blog, I think it was S3 vs iPhone 4s)

So long ago I stopped trusting the verdict given by sites ..... I analyse them myself by reading reviews in different sites

ULV processors are a big money making strategy for Dell, HP........ One of my friend bought HP laptop with i5 ULV rather than Z500(i5 3rd fen), just because it had 4th gen i5 & was HP

Yea that Alienware model was still around when I bought my Y500. I briefly considered it but when I saw Y500 I was like WTH!
Even now I can brag my laptop is better than Alienware 17 because of "4GB graphic card". They don't know much more than that. Just three of my hundred friends/acquaintances knew the real deal. ^.^

Top Bottom