The mystery of the MacBook Air and the extra screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The mystery of the MacBook Air and the extra screws
Posted Feb. 23, ’08, 11:00 AM PT by Aayush Arya

The Nikkei Electronics Teardown Squad (which, apparently, is an entire squad dedicated just to tearing down gadgets) teamed up with some Japanese PC manufacturers and got their hands on a MacBook Air and, surprise surprise, tore it down.

*www.macuser.com//images/2008/02/01/MacBook%20Air%20insides.jpg

After having a look at how the internal structure of the notebook was held together, they came to a disappointing conclusion. The Air, we now know, uses far too many screws for its own good. And that, my dear friends, solves the mystery of why the thing is so darned expensive. It’s the screws. Why didn’t we think of that! Read more...

[Via MacUser]

Read the full thing and let me know your opinions. :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Some people need to get themselves a real job (I'm talking about the Nikkei Electronics Teardown Squad and not you Aayush :p ).

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Read the article as soon as it was up on their site. So for me its old news. But did get to know most of the things in the Air :)

Some people need to get themselves a real job (I'm talking about the Nikkei Electronics Teardown Squad and not you Aayush :p ).
This is their "real" job! And believe me if you are a hardware guy, like me, its the most interesting job! :)

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
hmmm so apple "screwed" :D
for me its just a great apple product with a little more screws .who's gonna open the keyboard and stuff anyway.

@arya did that video work for u?it doesn't play

narangz

Web developer
Read the article as soon as it was up on their site. So for me its old news. But did get to know most of the things in the Air :)

This is their "real" job! And believe me if you are a hardware guy, like me, its the most interesting job! :)

Absolutely! I would love to be at their place! :(

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It's a crap video, by the way. The whole thing is just them opening the screws. Only the ending is worth it when they remove the cover on the back and squeal like excited babies. :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, well. That's supposed to mean that even assuming that their allegation is spot on, which would make the MacBook Air's insides less "beautiful", I'm going to pretend it's perfect unless they come up with something better.

In fact, of course, the MacBook Air is the most beautiful computer in the world. :D

sourav123

Thinking Different
@Aryayush,

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, will you tell what makes you blindly refute all claims made against Apple. I may not be a senior member here and do not want to start a flame war (especially with you, as you are both from my home town and I like the way you write). But somehow I feel that you base all your decisions on sentiments rather than logic. No company is perfect 100% and we need to admit that.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But somehow I feel that you base all your decisions on sentiments rather than logic. No company is perfect 100% and we need to admit that.

It's Apple & he is a Macboy, ofcouse Steve Jobs is a god for him, & what ever he said is true....he is a blind follower of Mac.

sourav123

Thinking Different
Yes that much I can make out myself. But, when people are posting in public forums, shouldn't they base their statemnts on judgement, or else other people will only laugh.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@Aryayush,

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, will you tell what makes you blindly refute all claims made against Apple. I may not be a senior member here and do not want to start a flame war (especially with you, as you are both from my home town and I like the way you write). But somehow I feel that you base all your decisions on sentiments rather than logic. No company is perfect 100% and we need to admit that.
You know what, irrespective of what I post, there will always be people who disagree with me. When I post something that I don't like about Apple (like the upgrade fee for the iPod touch or the insanely high pricing in India), people start saying that I'm purposely posting controversial posts for hits.

When I post something in favour of Apple, all sorts of people crawl out of the woodwork and label me a fanboy.

So I've stopped listening to criticism that isn't constructive in any way and just do my job. It's our job as Macworld Authors to report the news along with our personal opinions and I'm doing that.

In this particular case, I found their claims stupid (and so did the fifteen people who replied to my post) for the reasons I've stated in my post. It's not a universal, blanket opinion that everyone is expected to agree with. You have the right to disagree.

It's just that when someone labels me as a "sentimental" author, as opposed to a "logical" one, just because I hold an opinion he does not share, I tend to be dismissive of the criticism. I've heard many of them and a lot more are to come in the future. Even David Pogue, one of the best technology columnists I know, gets hate mail by the truckloads. But that does nothing to tarnish the fact that he is a celebrated New York Times columnist.

I know that no company is perfect. It wasn't you who rallied people to sign an online petition demanding Apple to remove the price of the iPod touch upgrade on an Apple centric website and took the flak for it, and yet didn't give up on his stance. It wasn't you who cried foul when they decided to charge in excess of Rs. 90,000 for a secondary notebook. It wasn't you who pointed out that Apple was screwing with AirPort Extreme customers by releasing Time Capsule.

None of those articles was very well received, but that won't stop me from criticising Apple when I think they deserve it. Similarly, your criticism or anyone else's won't stop me from speaking in favour of them either.

And thanks for the appreciation! :)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
one thing in common: fanboys sucks. whether is apples, lin or win. Its really blind to follow one single company/product. Open your eyes and see the wide open world. Taste everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom