The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
That's correct but don't say Loses are rare. Investors are gaining and losing money everyday. That's why they say Investments (Stocks, MF) are subject to market risks please read the offer document carefully.

Today if your MF portfolio is showing 20% returns tomorrow it could be 10%. Everything is a gamble here and luck.
Yes that's why average returns can be approximately 15/20 over a decade or 2. Traders loose gain money everyday not really mf investors unless they withdraw at a loss.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Not particular one but MF(s) are not full proof. They rely of Stocks or other Bonds and show the up/down as per market. I took only 2 MF(s) last year and it was showing +growth of 32~34k profit and today its showing 28k
Bro nothing is fool proof. Murphy's law applies on everything

icebags

Technomancer
what are some good axis equity funds for sip ? please suggest.

Not correct. You think hdfc, reliance, icici, kotak, axis, tcs, infosys etc are going to close down even in next 10-15 years? A good large cap MF invests in such companies only which are basically an indicator of a country's economy. If such companies start closing down then no hope from anything in that country's economy whether it is FD or PPF or land.
if you sense such thing is going to happen, warn us please.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what are some good axis equity funds for sip ? please suggest.

if you sense such thing is going to happen, warn us please.
If I sense such thing I would be planning to get out of this country & advise others to do the same :) On a more serious note, nothing short of world war 3(or until global Earth temp cross the 2 degree Celsius increase limit) would result in such a situation.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never talked about HDFC/Reliance will close down. And you are talking about the 3rd category of MF which is Large Cap Fund. Every investor knows about Small/Mid-Cap/Large-Cap funds and the proportion of Risk(s) involved with each and how they work.
No company will give guarantee to its investor that it will give X% of returns in X amount of time and also it does not take time for any Company(s) to Shut down its operations. E.g.: Bankruptcy/Company Scandal/False Balance Sheet are various events which bring down the money of investor down to ZERO.
The probability of getting hit by lightening while walking outside in typical monsoon season is also not zero(aka no guarantee you won't be hit by lightening in monsoon season while walking outside) but that doesn't mean one should not get out of house at all during monsoon season. You should also read about the rules & regulations of sebi under which all MFs in India operate.

Take a look at worst performing MFs in India for more than 5 years of opeeration & you will see that 3 of them are Gold traded funds which have nothing to do with market but rather the value of gold & the rest are debt funds(which again are not equity funds aka nothing much to do with market).
*www.fundsupermart.co.in/main/fundinfo/worst_Funds.svdo
@rockfella @TheSloth

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
right, so i invested some in bluechip. but how is axis triple advantage direct growth plan ?
Check its portfolio, it holds around 20% under "Others" category which mainly consists of MF units & TREPS so need some opinions from a more knowledgeable person in such matters. I will ask one such person & will update here whenever I get the reply.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The probability of getting hit by lightening while walking outside in typical monsoon season is also not zero(aka no guarantee you won't be hit by lightening in monsoon season while walking outside) but that doesn't mean one should not get out of house at all during monsoon season. You should also read about the rules & regulations of sebi under which all MFs in India operate.

Take a look at worst performing MFs in India for more than 5 years of opeeration & you will see that 3 of them are Gold traded funds which have nothing to do with market but rather the value of gold & the rest are debt funds(which again are not equity funds aka nothing much to do with market).
@rockfella @TheSloth
How the gold ETF funds are in loss? I thought gold ETF bonds are the best gold related investment since they can be sold at exact current gold prices of the day(unlike gold jewelry which depreciate the moment one buys) and gold prices have always been increasing. Then how the these funds have incurred loss?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the gold ETF funds are in loss? I thought gold ETF bonds are the best gold related investment since they can be sold at exact current gold prices of the day(unlike gold jewelry which depreciate the moment one buys) and gold prices have always been increasing. Then how the these funds have incurred loss?
Gold prices fluctuate a lot & they don't always increase(rule of thumb is when stock market is booming gold goes down & vice versa, very rare exceptions like corona times are there though) or their increase is less than inflation rate. Also that axis triple advantage fund is not a good option in the long term compared to bluechip fund as per my friend's opinion who knows much more about market.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
right, so i invested some in bluechip. but how is axis triple advantage direct growth plan ?
It's not pure equity from what I find. It has investments in other mutual funds and a small amount is kept as FD too. 7% approx is put into government bonds too. It might not return too much compared to some pure equity MFs during a hard bull market but it will fall much less compared to those others during bear markets too.

If the shares don't overlap with your other mutual fund can look for this fund to bring a bit of stability to your portfolio as some are investments in debt and other fixed return schemes.

Can anyone recommend good index funds to invest in ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Personally, I feel it's better to do directly via NIFTY bees. Less tracking error and no issue of expense fees. No lock-in period that you can sell and buy like shares only.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
That is why gold is not an investment. Just an emotional purchase. Try convincing people.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Is this safe for long term investments, like MF? Where can I read more about this? or some youtube video?
Safety depends on the company itself. Now if you buy stocks of TCS you are very safe but if you pick up some penny stocks and expect it to balloon up you may loose your money. Similarly if you invest in good companies you can expect better returns than average 15-20% returns of MFs.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Safety depends on the company itself. Now if you buy stocks of TCS you are very safe but if you pick up some penny stocks and expect it to balloon up you may loose your money. Similarly if you invest in good companies you can expect better returns than average 15-20% returns of MFs.
I don;t want to get stocks as of now. Since I still dont know how it all works. I am getting comfortable with MF but was curious about Nifty Bees since I heard about it few time now.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@rockfella @TheSloth
What kind of lame example is that Dude ? The probability of catching Corona is also there even if you wear Masks and Roam outside :)

Investing in Stock market or MF is not a Snooker game where you enter and exit at your convenience. Most of us select the MF based on its performance graph of last 2~5 yrs but that doesn't guarantee it will perform the same in next 4~5 years.
Making decision of selecting a Stock or MF is careful study of a Company day to day operation and by that it means the Balance Sheet/ P&L statement/Annual Report/Expense Ratio/Debt Ratio and other financial terms to Analyze which most of us don't do at all bcoz that is taken care of by the MF Fund manager to make our Job easier. That is why we pay to Stock Broker/Fund Manager to avoid the headache of looking at 3~4 monitors of fluctuating share prices graph.

And Debt funds are dependent on Market but they are less volatile than Equity.

*economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealt...ned-returns/articleshow/74622658.cms?from=mdr

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Why they can't ? Gold is also an investment tool and is volatile depending on Market condition. Long time back people used to invest in Gold a lot. Even now if you ask the older generation (Grand parents) they believe in gold investment.

Top Bottom