The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
what about lumpsum MF investment for 7+ years ? are they better than SIP ?
Post COVID when everything crashed by almost half in march end/early april was the golden (most probably one of the the best time in our life to invest aggressively (Assuming we don't see another pandemic for another 100 years or WW3 or some major recession like 2008). Lumpsums in general is not recommended in large amounts. SIPs are preferred unless you do lumpsum amounts of whatever you can do every month or even weekly ( I have done that in the past / just a few clicks on the phone app). Go for SIPs :)

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
After 10+ years they should be similar because market cycle averages extreme highs & lows. Also sip is the only way to invest regularly, lumpsum investment is for the times when you suddenly get a big amount & have no plans of spending it as much like some big bonus in a year when there are no big purchases planned.
Yep. If sudden expense comes up withdrawal time is around a 7/10 calendar days.

icebags

Technomancer
Hi, all. I am also thinking of starting investing in mutual funds, but I don't really know what to do.
I guess I will need to create one investor account with some mutual fund provider first. So, should I just go ahead and register at somewhere like hdfc mutual fund or axis mutual fund sites ?
Will there be any physical / hard copy submission required for anything ?

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi, all. I am also thinking of starting investing in mutual funds, but I don't really know what to do.
I guess I will need to create one investor account with some mutual fund provider first. So, should I just go ahead and register at somewhere like hdfc mutual fund or axis mutual fund sites ?
Will there be any physical / hard copy submission required for anything ?

Sign up here with all dox they ask. They will do full KYC for you. The others will do ekyc that will limit you to invest max 50k in one fund each financial year.
*upstox.com/open-demat-account/?exp...U7FkWo_K5WwBWlyVVj2oVwOp_xJGqguYaAp2TEALw_wcB

Yes this is a demat account application (free of cost) you don't need a demat account to invest in MFs.

icebags

Technomancer
Sign up here with all dox they ask. They will do full KYC for you. The others will do ekyc that will limit you to invest max 50k in one fund each financial year.
*upstox.com/open-demat-account/?exp...U7FkWo_K5WwBWlyVVj2oVwOp_xJGqguYaAp2TEALw_wcB

Yes this is a demat account application (free of cost) you don't need a demat account to invest in MFs.
ok, so i have created an account in hdfc, and created a folio. now i need to invest.
i guess i need to look for some equity with growth option scheme. but there are many such schemes, which one to choose and how ?

i will be investing for 15-20 years at about 3k-5k pm.

shreeux

Movie Buff
ok, so i have created an account in hdfc, and created a folio. now i need to invest.
i guess i need to look for some equity with growth option scheme. but there are many such schemes, which one to choose and how ?

Analyze on your own...Ask quey here

*www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/

*www.morningstar.in/tools/mutual-fund-screener.aspx

*www.moneycontrol.com/mutualfundindia/

*economictimes.indiatimes.com/mf/best-mutual-funds-to-invest

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

3-5k is too little, it is alright if you are starting in job field but don't set it as target for the rest of your career. It is suggested to invest around 25% of your monthly income. I will post some MF options later.

vito scalleta

In the zone
3-5k is too little, it is alright if you are starting in job field but don't set it as target for the rest of your career. It is suggested to invest around 25% of your monthly income. I will post some MF options later.
do you mean that it is suggested to invest 25% of monthly income in MF alone ? or just do investments with 25% of the income ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you mean that it is suggested to invest 25% of monthly income in MF alone ? or just do investments with 25% of the income ?
25% is the recommended minimum one should invest out of which at least 70% should be mf investment, rest 30% you can split between savings acc & gold bonds. It is recommended to have at least 3-4 months expenses equivalent amount in your savings acc.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
My suggestion is to do whatever you can. I do whatever I can and if I need funds I withdraw it, takes about a week for funds to show up in savings account. Some months I have done 90% of salary when I had less monthly expense. Some months it is just the SIPs that go through. I have some regular SIPs that I tweak as per my mood/financial year and I do lumpsums whenever I can. I have seen many people rot their savings in FDs and saving account. Think of mutual funds as your savings account that just has a lot more ROI. Apart from ELSS there is no lock on any funds. Withdraw anytime you want but whenever you do understand withdrawing will disturb your ROI and compounding. Ofcoure YMMV.

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
how is this fund here ?

1615797673107.png
1615797738315.png

thinking whether to go with hybrid or pure equity .....

1615797984151.png
1615798058109.png

second one seems to have steep ups and downs, whereas first one is more flatter growth.

may be i should..... need to start with something first though.

Attachments

• 1615797598008.png
    1615797598008.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 108

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
how is this fund here ?

View attachment 20075 View attachment 20076

thinking whether to go with hybrid or pure equity .....

View attachment 20077 View attachment 20078

second one seems to have steep ups and downs, whereas first one is more flatter growth.

may be i should..... need to start with something first though.
Yes start with any amount .. once you see your money growing you can always tweak things later ... some funds give you the option to increase SIP amount by 10% automatically every year too. Start asap. Key is time in the market not timing the market.

Consider this one:
*www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/15688/axis-long-term-equity-fund-direct-plan/

One of the best ELSS funds out there.
Pro: Gain wealth and save taxes as well with this one.
Cons: Each transaction (Sip/lumpsum) will be locked for 36 months.
Pro: Since each transaction is locked for 3 years this can be a great ++ as it will grow (because you won't be able to withdraw it.

For service people ELSS should be top priority specially from the start of new financial year : April. Investing in ELSS funds then paying 30k taxes does not make sense to me. I do ELSS funds first rest everything comes after.

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Yes start with any amount .. once you see your money growing you can always tweak things later ... some funds give you the option to increase SIP amount by 10% automatically every year too. Start asap. Key is time in the market not timing the market.
just trying to make sure money getting invested to right funds.....

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
just trying to make sure money getting invested to right funds.....
Go with Axis Long term equity fund (Direct plan only) go only with direct plans. It is a solid performer as of now. But bear in mind old performance does not guarantee good performance in the future.

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Go with Axis Long term equity fund (Direct plan only) go only with direct plans. It is a solid performer.
registered at hdfc few days ago. i guess i cant do that axis fund from there, right ? so, do i need to go to axis mf site and register another account? or is there any other option ?

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
registered at hdfc few days ago. i guess i cant do that axis fund from there, right ? so, do i need to go to axis mf site and register another account? or is there any other option ?
Yes. Directly register in Axis. You'll have to do it in every fund you invest to start. Another option is to do it from here:

*mfs.kfintech.com/mfs/

I prefer registering in official website first then do the transactions from the mobile apps. You also need to do full kyc or else you'll be limited to max 50k investment per FY in each fund.

Top Bottom