The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

icebags

Technomancer
Yes. Directly register in Axis. You'll have to do it in every fund you invest to start. Another option is to do it from here:

*mfs.kfintech.com/mfs/

I prefer registering in official website first then do the transactions from the mobile apps. You also need to do full kyc or else you'll be limited to max 50k investment per FY in each fund.
o ok, thanks.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
If you are going to do multiple investment then you can use Groww. Registering for various funds house and remembering several account passwords seem cumbersome to me. Earlier I was also planning to regsiter on Axis MF site for Large cap fund but stopped since I will doing investments from other providers as well. Groww can help me segregate all the investment under single roof for easy access and maintenance.

icebags

Technomancer
If you are going to do multiple investment then you can use Groww. Registering for various funds house and remembering several account passwords seem cumbersome to me. Earlier I was also planning to regsiter on Axis MF site for Large cap fund but stopped since I will doing investments from other providers as well. Groww can help me segregate all the investment under single roof for easy access and maintenance.
any charges there need to be paid to groww ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can tolerate outdated design mfutilites is supposed to be best.
www.mfuindia.com
It is missing some important features, last time a friend told me that you can not see current asset value in it(or something like that) which is easily available in other apps like groww or zerodha coin.

icebags

Technomancer
do you people watch expense ratio during investing ? i am finding hdfc has considerably higher expense ratio than axis funds.....

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you people watch expense ratio during investing ? i am finding hdfc has considerably higher expense ratio than axis funds.....
Just my observation but top rated funds usually don't have too high expense ratio & those that do most often don't appear in top performing MFs of that category.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
No body to comment on mutual funds ?
I wish I knew about this thread when it was started. I started my journey in Nov 2017 at age 38.

My dad tells me not to invest in Mutual Funds. His justification is that its not worth the risk.
Dads have some beliefs that are very difficult to change. Back in their days MFs probably had no good returns. Indian economy picked up pace in early 2000s. They don't understand things are way different now.

I have invested in Bajaj Allianz SIP for 30 years!!
Share your profit details/thoughts man! That's a long time. 3 decades!

Bump. Is someone playing the Investment game? Heard it have got a recent patch "covid19" that increases it's difficulty.
I did some reading on how economy suffers post pandemics then recovers and usually reaches new heights. Invested aggressively after market crash in march 2020. Now my portfolio looks great.

All mutual funds are in negative state due to this Pandemic and Economic loss. Best time to buy funds for investment as the NAV will be lower.
Market will get stable in future.
I did. Heck I even sold some 40 year old gold lying in the house when gold prices were sky high! Invested everything in MFs.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Banks don't provide "Direct" MF plans of their competitors on their platform, for that you must use either MF own site or a 3rd party site which offers direct plans for all major MFs like Groww/paytm/coin by zerodha(it keeps MF units in demat acc unlike other providers so you must open/use dmat acc too which is a bit of a hassle)

ELSS is good for tax savings but you will have to calculate how much you are saving on tax vis-a-vis investing same amount in index fund like niftybees for same number of years.
If we do ELSS and fill up 80C we can save around 30k taxes per year. That itself makes it the first logical choice to invest in ELSS as priority. The 36 months lock is on each transaction not the full amount invested. When I started investing in 2017 I started with 2 ELSS funds. Axis Long term equity fund and Aditya ELSS. In Jan 2121 when almost all funds were performing great I noticed Aditya ELSS hovering at around 10/15% : It was not performing well. I started withdrawing from it since some transactions were older than 36 months and invested in better performing funds.
I also plan to further withdraw from Aditya ELSS in this FY and invest in the strong performing AXIS ELSS if I find I don't have enough funds.
My point: Regular monitoring helps.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
what about lumpsum MF investment for 7+ years ? are they better than SIP ?
No. SIPS are preferred specially if you want to do a big lumpsum amount. At least spread out the full amount in 24 SIPS. This is to safeguard against any major dips in the future.

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Yup, I am aware about the IPOs not being an easy money. That's why I mentioned those YTers from which I get my insights. I like the funda of Invest Aaj for Kal channel:
> First see if an IPO is good enough.
> Always wait to see market response and apply on the last day (3rd day)
> If probability of market gains is good, only then apply for the IPO
> If you get a lot, sell it asap to get the listing gains.
> If you want to reinvest in that company, wait for atleast a couple quarter results.

Sadly, what happened with Burger King was a trap. And the channel fully explained how it played out like it did! (here)

I think those lost huge amounts must be dealing with F&O. I understand how risky that could be, and hence completely avoiding the same.
True. IPOs are risky and nothing can really give us any idea on what stock/IPO will turn into a multibagger. That luck happens rarely.
Eicher is a legendary example but back in 2004/5 who knew they will scale those heights just by selling bullets.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
just trying to make sure money getting invested to right funds.....
There is no such thing as "Best fund" even the best performing funds in the past tend not to perform in some years. Stick with some good rated good performing funds now ..... make some analysis after a few years and tweak/change as needed.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Just started...these 3 funds...SIP basis...other than this Anything to include or exclude?
Suggestions welcome...

*i.imgur.com/Fqfnexz.png

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You can never go bad with investment in Mutual funds, IF:
1. You are investing for long term (more than 5 years)
2. Your MF are diversified enough (that is shares in different MF are not overlapping by a great margin).

Also, set a goal! This is a very important factor to consider, that may who invest don't make goals.
Goal means, planning on the intent of investing in a particular MF.

Example of a goal can be "saving for car in 5 years". So when it's 5 years you withdraw that amount to fulfill your goal (provided market isn't in depression).
If we don't have goals, we end up reaching "somewhere", but not where we want to.

This is something I myself is lacking though, my aim in next month is to make goals and stick to it. I think I will open an account in Kuvera for the same.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
You can never go bad with investment in Mutual funds, IF:
1. You are investing for long term (more than 5 years)
2. Your MF are diversified enough (that is shares in different MF are not overlapping by a great margin).

Also, set a goal! This is a very important factor to consider, that may who invest don't make goals.
Goal means, planning on the intent of investing in a particular MF.

Example of a goal can be "saving for car in 5 years". So when it's 5 years you withdraw that amount to fulfill your goal (provided market isn't in depression).
If we don't have goals, we end up reaching "somewhere", but not where we want to.

This is something I myself is lacking though, my aim in next month is to make goals and stick to it. I think I will open an account in Kuvera for the same.
My goal is to achieve FIRE : financial independence retire early. This may take 10 /15 + years but I am on it. Few years ago I used to think of buying a car. Now I can (with the interest I have earned already!) but now I think invest more to retire early. Long term goal lol .. but I am fickle minded. I don't know how I will mentally evolve after a few years. No real use having 3 crores corpus (although that won't be bad) but living a miserable life. We got one life... gotta think on those terms too. Short terms goal is to invest all I can. If some expense comes up I withdraw from MF and invest the leftover again. I think of MFs as a savings account that just has a lot more interest rate.

Top Bottom