the moniter flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
I have a LG Studioworks 700E 17 inch CRT monitor

My monitor flickers at the edges constantly.
And for games or when the refresh rate is around 60-70 hz
then the screen shakes violently.

When the refresh rate goes to 85 hz then the flickering is present
only at the corners.

I have tried degaussing also.

Current resolution= 1024x768x32@85 hz.

I have XFX Geforce 5700 le (256 mb) card.

I have the latest 77.12 or something WHQL drivers.
The flickering started with driver no. 61.77 after five months of using
it with no problems.

I have also removed my subwoofer cum speakers from the pc but still the same.

Any other solution and mainly,

Is my Monitor gone bad or the graphics card(no, don't say this one!)

I have 3 RAM slots with Kingston 400 mhz (256 mb) RAM filling each one of the slots on a ASUS K8VX MBO.

Now don't tell me the RAM's bad too.

Any voltage problem related to this?

The monitor's only one year old.

Help me, and if its not a major problem tell me so,
Because I have to work a lot in it and can't give it away for a week for repairs.

Answers are being awaited

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
First possibility : External AC electromagnetic field. The most common source is the speakers, particularly the one that has the speakers' power supply transformer in it. This is usually the sub-woofer. But since you have already moved the speakers away from the monitor, this is not likely to be the case.

Does your speaker system happen to be one of those that have a separate power supply unit ? If that's the case and the PSU is still close to the monitor, it's likely to be the culprit. Unplug the speakers from the mains plug socket and see what happens.

Second possibility : Your monitor is defective. First suspect would be that the main power supply filter capacitor has dried up, leaked or vented. This is not something you can check yourself unless you're experienced in electronics servicing.

If possible, connect your monitor to another computer, and also connect your CPU to another monitor. This will quickly tell you which one is at fault.

Is there any other thing using AC power near the monitor - something that was not there before you had this problem ? E.g. a table fan ?

paid

Journeyman
One such case in my knowledge the problem was due to electricity cable of the new airconditioner installed by a neighbour in next apartment of the same floor. The cable was raised to ceiling and the problem was solved. May be this in your case.

krish

Journeyman
Hi,

Does the screen flickers or Shakes?? If it shakes voilently then u have to get it checked by a good technician. It is not a big problem but can only be solved by a technician who is well versed in repairing Monitors.

Thanks
Krish

cybershastri

Journeyman
deathvirus_me said:
try degaussing the monitor ....

In his post readermaniax has already mentioned that he has tried degaussing the monitor.

Ok..I had similar problem. And I had tried all sorts of things to solve the problem. Finally I came to know that the UPS was the culprit. If the UPS is kept near to the monitor then surely it will cause flickering. So if you have the UPS near to the monitor then move it away, better still check the monitor without the UPS. Hope this helps you.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Do you have UPS???.

It maybe due to bad voltage or irregular power supply to u r system..??Else try to contact u r vendor...Or LG customer care....

Charley

Just Do It
right then , speaking of that I'd like to divert a bit. I have different colors in my monitor , it seldom gives me the normal monitor collor. I have no speakers next to it.
When I tap it sometimes hard , the color turns normal

What cud be the reason for that.

AlienTech

In the zone
I get this too sometimes. But my speakers are over 5 feet away. But the UPS is much closer. It happened with my old samsung 17 too as well as the new 793MB. I cant believe the monitors are this picky. Maybe the new age monitors dont have as good shielding as the older ones where I have had all kinds of stuff next to it without too much problems. I had to bring a magnet to the screen itself to get it to do anything. Voltage variations?? But these monitors are set to work from 80V to 240V automatically. Just real picky.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@achacko@dataone.in, When the display colour of your monitor goes bad, is it uniformly wrong over the whole screen and not in spots ? Like reddish, purple, etc ? If so, it's because one of the red, green, blue (RGB) signals are not feeding properly.

The fault could be at one of three possible points - at your graphics card output, in the monitor signal cable (usually an intermittent break in the wire near the connector), or inside the monitor itself (usually a dry solder point).

@AlienTech, I've installed many Samsung 17" monitors over the years, from the 753 to the current 793 models, both non-flat and flat MB. I'm using both the 793S and MB at my house right now. I've never known them to be overly sensitive to external fields. So there must be some other factor you have not thought of yet.

Charley

Just Do It
AlienTech said:
Yes I noticed that. When I shut off the computer it stops flickering/waving.

Huh, ur talking something different from the prob I have, mine is only change in color of the screen[red, blue, yellow, etc]

pimpom said:
When the display colour of your monitor goes bad, is it uniformly wrong over the whole screen and not in spots

Its all over the screen , not spots. I never get the normal screen color , its either blue, yellow, red...

AlienTech

In the zone
pimpom said:
@AlienTech, I've installed many Samsung 17" monitors over the years, from the 753 to the current 793 models, both non-flat and flat MB. I'm using both the 793S and MB at my house right now. I've never known them to be overly sensitive to external fields. So there must be some other factor you have not thought of yet.

The color change on parts of the screen was caused by magnetism. You could move the monitor and it would change. I moved the speakers from 3-4 feet to 6-7 feet away and I dont see it anymore.

But the waving I am not sure about. It is like its degaussing itself but it does not happen very often and when it does there are power problems at the time, but I also got a UPS on line. So not sure what causes it.

There isnt anything else around so... except the modem and some cd's.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
hey ..
i didnt want to start another thread ..

My monitor recently showed up with a weird problem ..
Its a 4yr old HCL monitor which came with the whole set of HCL Infinity 2000.
Now, the problem is that .. it occasionaly turns blue .. yes .. the screen colours appear as if you're looking at it from a blue filter. and the picture also shows some hazyness .. just like motion-blur in photoshop :p .. little bit like it.
It occurs quite randomly .. stays that way for 5-10 seconds and then turns normal. Keeps on happening once every 5-15 mins. Occasionaly, minimizing or maximising windows make it turn to normal or a slight bang from side :p also helps at times.
I havent been able to understand the trend .. so as to .. when it occurs . but probly its more frequent while playing video files.

any help !

-----
alibi

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
My monitor 793mb is on a desk and below the desk there is my altec lasnign 251 (45watts rms model,standard is 60watts nah?)sub woofer and also ups microtek 800va
in games rise of nations,cossacks II
i feel when i move the cursor that the pixels are shaking/moving/vibrating maybe a better word.

My speaerks when in use are normally at a dist of abt 1m or less or more.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Now there are several questions from different members in this thread. Let's see if I can sort them out properly.

@achacko@dataone.in and alib_i, your problems are probably caused by either an intermittent break in your monitor's signal cable or dry solder(s) inside the monitor. The second possibility is more likely because you said that banging on the monitor sometimes helps. It should not be too difficult a job for a good electronics technician.

If the Green signal is not reaching the picture tube, the display will appear purple. If the Blue signal is missing, the display will be yellow. And so on.

@akshayt, your problem is probably with your graphics system and not with the monitor. Could be a driver problem.

@AlienTech, I'm surprised that your speakers still exert a visible influence from 3-4 feet away, but I'm not saying that it's impossible. Do you know if your speakers use unshielded magnets ? The effect of the speaker magnets will be constant as long as you don't move either the moniotr or the speakers.

The wavy picture can be caused by power line faults that are too severe to be filtered out by the PSU of either the monitor or the CPU - probably the monitor's. A full explanation will be quite lengthy and technical.

AlienTech

In the zone
akshayt said:
My monitor 793mb is on a desk and below the desk there is my altec lasnign 251 (45watts rms model,standard is 60watts nah?)sub woofer and also ups microtek 800va
in games rise of nations,cossacks II
i feel when i move the cursor that the pixels are shaking/moving/vibrating maybe a better word.

My speaerks when in use are normally at a dist of abt 1m or less or more.

Ah yep... this must be because of the USP then cause I have the same thing. My UPS is only like 2 feet away, it used ot right next to it but I have now moved it a little further.

pimpom said:
@AlienTech, I'm surprised that your speakers still exert a visible influence from 3-4 feet away, but I'm not saying that it's impossible. Do you know if your speakers use unshielded magnets ? The effect of the speaker magnets will be constant as long as you don't move either the moniotr or the speakers.

The wavy picture can be caused by power line faults that are too severe to be filtered out by the PSU of either the monitor or the CPU - probably the monitor's. A full explanation will be quite lengthy and technical.

These are pretty big speakers. Its only like 250 watts but you turn it up and it shakes the foundations. Best effect with movies like matrix when Neo goes into the lobby... They are over 25 years old too.. I know my friends sansui is 400watts and the speakers are smaller. Yes his is louder and you can feel it when you get into the building. He used to live on the 7th floor. His new sub woofer is even smaller but packs a much higher punch. I mean it will drop you off the sofa when watching Blade.. But he paid I think $2500 for that and the amp for it. I dont know the magnetic effects of those since its a floor below his computer and it should not affect it other than shaking the table and such.

The wavy I think is definitely magnetic disturbance since I also got a UPS on line. If the power was varying so much the computer should lock up. But the UPS might be kicking up the magnetic field... Hmmmm have to test that out... It really bugs out your eyes, the entire screen sort of like gets the shivers. But it happens so rarely and lasts only a few seconds that is is hard to pin down.

When I had the other UPS close by the old monitors would wave much slower. Yes even the speed varies but not sure if it is the UPS/monitor combination or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom