The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

jatinrungta

Emerging Gamer :)
Ok I am new here and am not able to read all the 22 pages!
so what is the 4gb and 2gb version?
and how is 4gb cheaper then 2gb?
Is it worth getting the laptop if I am a coder,a mild gamer( in college now :/ ) and heavy movie watcher

udaylunawat

In the zone
Ok I am new here and am not able to read all the 22 pages!
so what is the 4gb and 2gb version?
and how is 4gb cheaper then 2gb?
Is it worth getting the laptop if I am a coder,a mild gamer( in college now :/ ) and heavy movie watcher
nope not at all Jatin if you are a heavy movie watcher cuz the screen is one of the worst TN displays panel ever. You would need to replace the screen which would cost you nearly 6000 bucks .better get a y510p i5 and a badass laptop cooler.

jatinrungta

Emerging Gamer :)
nope not at all Jatin if you are a heavy movie watcher cuz the screen is one of the worst TN displays panel ever. You would need to replace the screen which would cost you nearly 6000 bucks .better get a y510p i5 and a badass laptop cooler.
the problem is y510 is oos and not available :/ I mostly watch movies alone so viewing angles dont matter much to me.
Anything better than this at 75K?
and what about 60K? Anything better than z510 at 60K?

GiMMiG

Broken In
I have been a silent observer on this thread since day 1. I was hoping to see if more people have been facing the same issues with the Y50 as I did. I I am probably the first person on this thread who has got a refund from Lenovo for the Y50 because it was Dead on Arrival. Also, there was some issue with my account on these forums such that I could not make any posts. Thanks to dashing.sujay for escalating it to the mods and getting the issue fixed.

Without further delay, let me tell you guys about how you can check if you have the same issue that I faced with my Y50 and how to check if you have the same issues.

1. Open chrome and open your favourite website. Now use the two finger scroll to scroll up and down a couple of times. Now use pinch to zoom to zoom in and out a couple of times. Keep doing this for some time. If after some time, you realize that two finger scroll results in zoom instead of scroll, you have found the issue. Now try typing something. Do all the keys work or is the laptop doing strange things? If strange things happen, you have the same issue that I had. I could resolve the issue by clicking Ctrl many times. The funny part is, I never clicked control key even once during the usage and yet the laptop behaves as if the control key was stuck?

2. Another issue I faced was with backspace. Open notepad, start typing your favourite song. Once you are bored, just close the lid so they the laptop goes to sleep. Now open the lid and try erasing what you typed with backspace. If the backspace speed is very slow or the backspace starts printing characters instead of erasing text, you have found the second issue that I had.

I was lucky that I accidently came across these issues on day one of my purchase itself. While Lenovo did refund the entire amount for the laptop, it took more than a month for the refund process to complete.

Has anyone else been facing any major issues with the laptop like I did? If yes, I would recommend that you report the issue to Lenovo ASAP because DOA claim is only valid of you report the issue within the first week of purchase. If Lenovo gives you an option to repair the laptop, don't do it because it doesn't make sense repairing something that is only one week old.

I really loved the Y50. I used it for a month while Lenovo was taking their own sweet time to send someone to my house to pick it up. I need a laptop but I won't be going for the Y50 because I am no longer confident about its durability. What's the point of spending 75k if the laptop is going to need repairs early in its life?

jakephilips

Broken In
hey all.. does anybody know a good usb hub i could buy which could support my xbox360 controller and mouse at the same time?? i borrowed a usb hub from a friend but while gaming the Xbox controller keeps disconnecting and reconnecting due to the high demand of the game. Brand suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

unuckfut

Right off the assembly line
Where can i find the IPS LCD Screen for this laptop if i decide to replace it from TN panel in future?

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
hey all.. does anybody know a good usb hub i could buy which could support my xbox360 controller and mouse at the same time?? i borrowed a usb hub from a friend but while gaming the Xbox controller keeps disconnecting and reconnecting due to the high demand of the game. Brand suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

I have Enter 7 port usb hub with blue led lightings and individual switches for each. If bright lights are not a concern, it handles 2 xbox controllers, a wifi dongle, usb mouse, receiver of my wireless kb and a pen drive at the same time.
It also comes with a power adapter to connect to it for using external hard drives but I havent used it yet.
It has no model number mentioned but I picked it up from ebay for like 500 bucks.

jakephilips

Broken In
I have Enter 7 port usb hub with blue led lightings and individual switches for each. If bright lights are not a concern, it handles 2 xbox controllers, a wifi dongle, usb mouse, receiver of my wireless kb and a pen drive at the same time.
It also comes with a power adapter to connect to it for using external hard drives but I havent used it yet.
It has no model number mentioned but I picked it up from ebay for like 500 bucks.

Hey bro.. thanks for the quick reply. Is the model u have ..Enter E-HP70 ,7 port USB Hub with external power supply?? Thanks again. ☺

jakephilips

Broken In
I will place the order ASAP! Will the hub work smoothly on the USB 2.0 port or will I hav to connect it always to my 3.0 port to get the best performance? Also, did u have to buy an external power adaptor or is it included with the package? If u got one wat are the adaptor specs? Thanks. ☺

ashikns

ByTeS fLoWiNg ThRu VeIns!
I will place the order ASAP! Will the hub work smoothly on the USB 2.0 port or will I hav to connect it always to my 3.0 port to get the best performance? Also, did u have to buy an external power adaptor or is it included with the package? If u got one wat are the adaptor specs? Thanks. ☺

This is a discussion thread for the Y50. General queries should go in the appropriate forum. If you want a USB hub to go with the Y50, Lenovo currently has an offer by which you can buy a Lenovo USB hub along with the Y50 for discounted prices.

jakephilips

Broken In
This is a discussion thread for the Y50. General queries should go in the appropriate forum. If you want a USB hub to go with the Y50, Lenovo currently has an offer by which you can buy a Lenovo USB hub along with the Y50 for discounted prices.

Apologies. End of discussion.

imakhya

Guys i have accidentallly uninstalled the LENOVO SETTINGS software while uninstalling the regular bloatware of lenovo . So can anyone please send me the link where i can download the lenovo settings. The one it shows in windows app store is not working . So if any one can help .

Nancydig

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum in eagerness to know more :razz:

Wanted to get quick reviews on this lappy.

Earlier I wanted to buy y510p and have finalized that but later i found that y50 is coming and so I put my decision on hold waiting for the new beast.

FYI,I am not a serious gamer I wanted this for development purpose so I can multitask smoothly between heavy apps without any lag issues,graphics card is not very much useful to me.

Now as I am figuring out Ultrabay has been removed and laptop battery has been placed internally so cannot be removed(there are times when there is a need to take out battery - say to cut all powers from the laptop OR carry an extra battery while travelling or getting it replaced with 6 cell) + always on USB feature is removed as well + removed the dvd writer though they are giving an external dvd writer.

Inspite that what I only like is they have upgraded to a much better i7 4710 HQ and are providing SSD which will atleast help somewhat in multitasking speed,also the look and feel has been made better.

As per the comments I doubt the laptop is good at its perfomance and screen display is worst,but wait I noticed lenovo has made a change and are now stating the screen as "FHD" on the dostore I am not sure what does they exactly mean by adding that.

In addition I heard wifi issues as well which indeed is a big decision maker for me.

There are also models availabe in Z series Z50(i7-4510U),I am now confused.

I will appreciate all of yours time spent providing valuable feedback based on the above post.

Thanks
Nancy

GoldenPheoniX

Broken In
hi to all,

i have a few question about the lenovo y50, though i had purchased this 4GB version one week back.
any one know how to get the windows 8.1 oem setup files from the recovery disk, so tht i can make a clean install,
i already taken a backup image of entire hdd with both acronics true image and with lenovo recovery tool,
so any one know how to get the above one. :)

nrvpnchl

Broken In
hi to all,

i have a few question about the lenovo y50, though i had purchased this 4GB version one week back.
any one know how to get the windows 8.1 oem setup files from the recovery disk, so tht i can make a clean install,
i already taken a backup image of entire hdd with both acronics true image and with lenovo recovery tool,
so any one know how to get the above one. :)

I recommend you to do a clean install with official Microsoft image( you can get this from torrents and its completely legal). You can even make your own custom recovery image.

-Install Windows
-Install drivers
-Install your favorites apps
-Create a custom image using this command in command prompt:
recimg -CreateImage C:\Refreshimage

You can use this image by selecting 'Refresh' option in PC settings.

GoldenPheoniX

Broken In
I recommend you to do a clean install with official Microsoft image( you can get this from torrents and its completely legal). You can even make your own custom recovery image.

-Install Windows
-Install drivers
-Install your favorites apps
-Create a custom image using this command in command prompt:
recimg -CreateImage C:\Refreshimage

You can use this image by selecting 'Refresh' option in PC settings.

ok. got your point, but here am asking about the windows setup files , is really any setup files is there in the recovery?
so tht i can make a bootable dvd and from tht i can make a clean install,
so tht i wont be require any kind of thirdparty cracks to activate windows.
by the way the windows key is not stamped outside the lenovo panels.
retail dvds wont accept oem keys. even i try to download directly from the msdn site.. its require a retail key not oem key :)

nrvpnchl

Broken In
ok. got your point, but here am asking about the windows setup files , is really any setup files is there in the recovery?
so tht i can make a bootable dvd and from tht i can make a clean install,
so tht i wont be require any kind of thirdparty cracks to activate windows.
by the way the windows key is not stamped outside the lenovo panels.
retail dvds wont accept oem keys. even i try to download directly from the msdn site.. its require a retail key not oem key :)

You can get Windows ISO from torrent and it's not illegal as long as you use your own OEM key to activate Windows. Your key is stored in your BIOS and Windows will automatically detect it if you use the correct ISO.
Once again I'm taking about official Microsoft images not cracked one. You can use to install Windows.

note: while installing Windows, use the generic keys from Microsoft then after installation is it will detect your key and will activate Windows automatically.

GoldenPheoniX

Broken In
You can get Windows ISO from torrent and it's not illegal as long as you use your own OEM key to activate Windows. Your key is stored in your BIOS and Windows will automatically detect it if you use the correct ISO.
Once again I'm taking about official Microsoft images not cracked one. You can use to install Windows.

note: while installing Windows, use the generic keys from Microsoft then after installation is it will detect your key and will activate Windows automatically.

ok thnx for that... just one doubt how i can get the correct iso which u r talking... is there any system to check ? sorry if am asking too many questions....

Top Bottom