The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

nrvpnchl

Broken In
ok thnx for that... just one doubt how i can get the correct iso which u r talking... is there any system to check ? sorry if am asking too many questions....

Check your 'Computer Properties' for your Windows SKU. It will be any one of this:
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 Single Language
- Windows 8.1 Pro

You can even use All-in-One ISO that contains all editions and you can select any one before installation.

I still don't have my laptop delivered so I don't know which edition is there in Y50.

GiMMiG

Broken In
I have been a silent observer on this thread since day 1. I was hoping to see if more people have been facing the same issues with the Y50 as I did. I I am probably the first person on this thread who has got a refund from Lenovo for the Y50 because it was Dead on Arrival. Also, there was some issue with my account on these forums such that I could not make any posts. Thanks to dashing.sujay for escalating it to the mods and getting the issue fixed.

Without further delay, let me tell you guys about how you can check if you have the same issue that I faced with my Y50 and how to check if you have the same issues.

1. Open chrome and open your favourite website. Now use the two finger scroll to scroll up and down a couple of times. Now use pinch to zoom to zoom in and out a couple of times. Keep doing this for some time. If after some time, you realize that two finger scroll results in zoom instead of scroll, you have found the issue. Now try typing something. Do all the keys work or is the laptop doing strange things? If strange things happen, you have the same issue that I had. I could resolve the issue by clicking Ctrl many times. The funny part is, I never clicked control key even once during the usage and yet the laptop behaves as if the control key was stuck?

2. Another issue I faced was with backspace. Open notepad, start typing your favourite song. Once you are bored, just close the lid so they the laptop goes to sleep. Now open the lid and try erasing what you typed with backspace. If the backspace speed is very slow or the backspace starts printing characters instead of erasing text, you have found the second issue that I had.

I was lucky that I accidently came across these issues on day one of my purchase itself. While Lenovo did refund the entire amount for the laptop, it took more than a month for the refund process to complete.

Has anyone else been facing any major issues with the laptop like I did? If yes, I would recommend that you report the issue to Lenovo ASAP because DOA claim is only valid of you report the issue within the first week of purchase. If Lenovo gives you an option to repair the laptop, don't do it because it doesn't make sense repairing something that is only one week old.

I really loved the Y50. I used it for a month while Lenovo was taking their own sweet time to send someone to my house to pick it up. I need a laptop but I won't be going for the Y50 because I am no longer confident about its durability. What's the point of spending 75k if the laptop is going to need repairs early in its life?
Guys, sorry for reposting this. My Y50 had issues from day one of purchase. I got a refund from Lenovo for the same. Can you guys check your Y50 for the issues I have described above? Also, how many of you guys use the touchpad heavily for the Y50? I need a laptop urgently and thinking of buying the Y50 once again but I am not sure if it is durable enough to last 3-4 years.

vineetpratik

Broken In
Guys, sorry for reposting this. My Y50 had issues from day one of purchase. I got a refund from Lenovo for the same. Can you guys check your Y50 for the issues I have described above? Also, how many of you guys use the touchpad heavily for the Y50? I need a laptop urgently and thinking of buying the Y50 once again but I am not sure if it is durable enough to last 3-4 years.

I checked your issues , but in my case 2 finger scrooling and pinch to zoom woks fine , i tried for about 3 minutes.

However the other problem of slow repeat delay persists , and there are a few fixes for it

1)Go to control panel >> Keyboard and reapply existing repeat delay settings ,

On googling I found that the problem is not limited to Y50 or Lenovo , its been reported on other laptops too.
Just google "Keyboard Repeat Delay are Reset after Sleep" and see the results
there are a few apps too that can fix it , you can get them by googling...

GiMMiG

Broken In
I checked your issues , but in my case 2 finger scrooling and pinch to zoom woks fine , i tried for about 3 minutes.

However the other problem of slow repeat delay persists , and there are a few fixes for it

1)Go to control panel >> Keyboard and reapply existing repeat delay settings ,

On googling I found that the problem is not limited to Y50 or Lenovo , its been reported on other laptops too.
Just google "Keyboard Repeat Delay are Reset after Sleep" and see the results
there are a few apps too that can fix it , you can get them by googling...
You are right when you say that the backspace issue is not specific to Lenovo products. I went to another Lenovo store today and tried to reproduce the other issue with scroll and zoom on the Y50 they had on display. Guess what, I was able to reproduce this issue on their piece as well. There is a specific way to reproduce it. For example, open Flipkart.com. On the home page, do a long pinch zoom in and a zoom out. Keep doing this till you notice that your pinch zoom gesture and the zoom on the screen are not in sync. That is, the screen should be zooming in or out even when you have stopped doing anything on the touchpad. It's at this particular millisecond that you need to start doing two finger scroll. You will notice that two finger scroll results in zoom instead of scroll. I have become an expert at reproducing this issue. I have been able to reproduce this issue on 3 Y50 Laptops so far. I am sure I can reproduce it on your laptop as well and I am sure it's only specific to Lenovo Y50 because I tried to reproduce it on some Dell Laptops on display but in vain.

Some people might say that there is a very low chance of getting this issue in normal usage. Guess what, I found this issue many times even while normal usage.

One more thing, does the 4GB version come with Kepler or Maxwell?

Last edited:

Nancydig

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum in eagerness to know more :razz:

Wanted to get quick reviews on this lappy.

Earlier I wanted to buy y510p and have finalized that but later i found that y50 is coming and so I put my decision on hold waiting for the new beast.

FYI,I am not a serious gamer I wanted this for development purpose so I can multitask smoothly between heavy apps without any lag issues,graphics card is not very much useful to me.

Now as I am figuring out Ultrabay has been removed and laptop battery has been placed internally so cannot be removed(there are times when there is a need to take out battery - say to cut all powers from the laptop OR carry an extra battery while travelling or getting it replaced with 6 cell) + always on USB feature is removed as well + removed the dvd writer though they are giving an external dvd writer.

Inspite that what I only like is they have upgraded to a much better i7 4710 HQ and are providing SSD which will atleast help somewhat in multitasking speed,also the look and feel has been made better.

As per the comments I doubt the laptop is good at its perfomance and screen display is worst,but wait I noticed lenovo has made a change and are now stating the screen as "FHD" on the dostore I am not sure what does they exactly mean by adding that.

In addition I heard wifi issues as well which indeed is a big decision maker for me.

There are also models availabe in Z series Z50(i7-4510U),I am now confused.

I will appreciate all of yours time spent providing valuable feedback based on the above post.

Thanks
Nancy

Any comments/Feedback Guys ? :cool:

GoldenPheoniX

Broken In
Check your 'Computer Properties' for your Windows SKU. It will be any one of this:
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 Single Language
- Windows 8.1 Pro

You can even use All-in-One ISO that contains all editions and you can select any one before installation.

I still don't have my laptop delivered so I don't know which edition is there in Y50.

even i downloaded the all in one... once i tried it i ill let you know..

by the way i am facing one issue seems to be a major one to me...

laptop freezes in programs when i try to open or it will take more time to load applications this issue is major while copying files from hdd to other media and vice versa.. :( and this win8.1 is laggy seems to be sometimes...

this is the main reason of making a clean installation of windows am looking at so tht every partioons ill wipe out and keeping only 2 partions . :)... ITS WIN8.1 SINGLE LANGUAGE

- - - Updated - - -

Any comments/Feedback Guys ? :cool:

screens are ok in my opinion. its better to have a look at the store by person then u can decide instead of seeing the comments videos go anfd have a look at the item u r self. so u r a heavy user of which kind of programs... replacing u r hdd with a good sdd is an option to do all multi tasking..

otherwise its better to stick with the same...

Last edited:

ayushtaneja

Got myself y50 4gb for 74k from lenovo store chandigarh.... Really happy with tge purchase.... Just a slight query, the text is appearing slightly blurry in some menus. Any solution for the same?

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Got myself y50 4gb for 74k from lenovo store chandigarh.... Really happy with tge purchase.... Just a slight query, the text is appearing slightly blurry in some menus. Any solution for the same?

Nice, I am buying it tomorrow :)

For ur problem, right click on the application, application> properties> compatibility> "disable display scaling on high dpi settings"

GiMMiG

Broken In
I bought my second Y50 today. My first Y50 was dead on arrival. I got this one for 74K without the 2 year extended warranty. I have to send a DD of 999 rs to Lenovo and they will send me the extended warranty certificate along with a 1000 mAh portable charger.

I am facing an issue with one key recovery. I created a recovery image on a brand new Dell 32GB pen drive. Just to make sure that the recovery image works, I tried to recover my partition using the recovery image from the pen drive but got a "divide by zero" error after which I kept getting the dreaded blue screen even after rebooting the laptop. The only way to fix this was to use the Nova key and recover my partition from the base image provided by Lenovo.

What am I doing wrong? I am not sure if I will be allowed to create another recovery image from what I have read.

imakhya

Can anyone please send me the link to lenovo settings that comes with this laptop. I tried but could not find any. So if any one can help.

About to pull the trigger on y50 4gb/2gb version, i wanted to know about getting the extended warranty and accidental protection. And from where to buy the laptop in Mumbai to avail the warranty (free or paid). And any other laptop with similar power maxing 80k?

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
About to pull the trigger on y50 4gb/2gb version, i wanted to know about getting the extended warranty and accidental protection. And from where to buy the laptop in Mumbai to avail the warranty (free or paid). And any other laptop with similar power maxing 80k?

I bought mine yesterday, the 4gb version from lenovo store in delhi at 74000. It comes with 1 yr warranty and 1 year accidental protection.
Now I need to send a DD of rs 1099 to lenovo bangalore to get 2 years extended warranty and a lenovo powerbank of 10000 mAh.
Will do it soon.

and No, no other laptop with similar power even under 1 lakh.

P.S- I got the Chei-Mei display. contrary to popular belief, after calibration, it looks better than the auo one (Maybe i am a bit partial :p)
But it is no way a poor display, viewing angles suck but colors look good after calibration. Much better screen than my old laptop.

Thanks a lot [MENTION=289390]rishi_sethi[/MENTION] !
From where did u buy it in delhi?
All lenovo stores (the do stores) offering 4gb variant for 74k?
Edit:
Please explain the warranty like this:
1st yr accidental
2nd yr against manufacturing defects
3rd yr against manufacturing defects
2nd and 3rd yr is extended?

Last edited:

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Thanks a lot rishi!
From where did u buy it in delhi?
All lenovo stores (the do stores) offering 4gb variant for 74k?

I contacted 6-7 lenovo stores including several at nehru place. Many gave a quote of 76k.
I bought it from the one near my house at janakpuri district centre for 74k on cash. Got some shitty goodies too, like a cheap headphone, mouse, cleaning kit n keyboard guard.

agarwalmohit

Broken In
I bought my Y50 from Kolkata on 27th Sept, got it for 74k (no goodies).

Then they asked me to register at lenovopromo.net, which I did on 2nd Oct.

There website is showing 'For the offer ending on the 28th of September customers can register till the 10th of October 2014'

I have already registered and got a ticket number, but no notification as of yet. What can I do?

Tried calling on 08032467455, no one picks it up :(

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Any current Y50 owner, using any kind of Cooling pad or stand?

I need something to keep my laptop on while gaming, any suggestions?

avinashgietg

Hi Mohit ,

Myself avinash from kolkata. I have the same concern and also tracking the ticket link is not working on lenovopromo.net. I will call lenovo support and will see if they can provide some update on our ticket. BTW, they usually take 3 weeks to do the needful.

There website is showing 'For the offer ending on the 28th of September customers can register till the 10th of October 2014'

I have already registered and got a ticket number, but no notification as of yet. What can I do?

nitinvertigo

Broken In
Hi I also purchased mine on 1st october and the showroom guy himself registered my system for the extended warranty. He took the screenshot of the confirmation receipt and mailed me and told me to wait for 21 days for the confirmation mail from lenovo. He also told me to contact him if the confirmation doesn't come within 21 days

avinashgietg

Hi Mohit,

I just called 08032467455 and quoted my ticket# and i was tolded that it has been confirmed on the 1st Oct. And i will be receiving an email from lenovo between 21st Oct to 26th Oct with my extended warantee certificate.

Top Bottom