The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
If Y50 in India has the GTX 860M Kepler than it is gonna produce way more heat. This is because of the high number of shaders.

nah..lenovo isn't that bad to send us kepler..:|

..:-D

oh n I forgot to mention the difference in battery capactities..but that hardly matters..

noceur

Broken In
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. Any reason to reconsider? I know the screen is horrid. But is it manageable? I'm afraid that what MSI has to offer is going to be more pricey than this. Anything else worth waiting for coming out? Will Lenovo Y50's 860M 4GB variant launch in India(Lenovo Rep. said it won't be released in India)?

vineetpratik

Broken In
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. Any reason to reconsider? I know the screen is horrid. But is it manageable? I'm afraid that what MSI has to offer is going to be more pricey than this. Anything else worth waiting for coming out? Will Lenovo Y50's 860M 4GB variant launch in India(Lenovo Rep. said it won't be released in India)?

Yea may people said it is manageable , i don't think msi would be able to match the pricing of lenovo, the display is not good as y510p but its definitely not horrible.. other than that its a beast!

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006

hmm..I would recommend all future/urgent buyers to atleast wait for Indian variant of Y50's review(s) and then make a decision.
Also, do read my above post

I got myself a y510p because:

- it has indeed a better screen viewing angles, brightness, color reproduction are better than Y50's TN panel (checked from notebookcheck/youtube vids/Y50's owner(s)/lowyat forums

- has a m2.ngff slot + an ultrabay if you're considering more storage as an option or better going for SLI capability (I will be doing this real soon before lenovo thinks abt discontinuing removable 755m's permanently)

- y50 is slim, helps in carrying around..overall a neat portable but IMHO that GPU power would be a sheer waste if it's not made to handle temps..if you grab a pic of y50's mobo layout (which inspite of having dual fans is somewhat weird..the fans are stashed at one corner wheres the heatsink's long pipes do the stuff..now checkout the Gigabyte's P34G V2 CF2's layout and see for yourself:)

The slim form factor also does not give enough space(as Y50 is so cramped up from the inside) if you want to OC, play CPU/GPU intensive games and p34g v2 is the best I've seen so far which deals with heat. Infact I am getting ~70 FPS in SP mode in arma 3 which is considered to be one of the most CPU/GPU intensive games of all times maintaining about ~71*C and I couldn't even hear heatsink's fan noise.

- oh n btw a 755m SLI config beats a 860m by a slight margin apart from any* SLI probs(+/- 1-5%) and the heat generated (a bit:-D) and would give you 4GB of DDR5 vid mem.

There isn't a perfect notebook/laoptop/ultrabook out there..it's just a matter of which is better than the rest..if you want the best..build a proper rig :cool:

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
hmm..I would recommend all future/urgent buyers to atleast wait for Indian variant of Y50's review(s) and then make a decision.
Also, do read my above post

I got myself a y510p because:

- it has indeed a better screen viewing angles, brightness, color reproduction are better than Y50's TN panel (checked from notebookcheck/youtube vids/Y50's owner(s)/lowyat forums

- has a m2.ngff slot + an ultrabay if you're considering more storage as an option or better going for SLI capability (I will be doing this real soon before lenovo thinks abt discontinuing removable 755m's permanently)

- y50 is slim, helps in carrying around..overall a neat portable but IMHO that GPU power would be a sheer waste if it's not made to handle temps..if you grab a pic of y50's mobo layout (which inspite of having dual fans is somewhat weird..the fans are stashed at one corner wheres the heatsink's long pipes do the stuff..now checkout the Gigabyte's P34G V2 CF2's layout and see for yourself:)

The slim form factor also does not give enough space(as Y50 is so cramped up from the inside) if you want to OC, play CPU/GPU intensive games and p34g v2 is the best I've seen so far which deals with heat. Infact I am getting ~70 FPS in SP mode in arma 3 which is considered to be one of the most CPU/GPU intensive games of all times maintaining about ~71*C and I couldn't even hear heatsink's fan noise.

- oh n btw a 755m SLI config beats a 860m by a slight margin apart from any* SLI probs(+/- 1-5%) and the heat generated (a bit:-D) and would give you 4GB of DDR5 vid mem.

There isn't a perfect notebook/laoptop/ultrabook out there..it's just a matter of which is better than the rest..if you want the best..build a proper rig :cool:

If you want the SLI card, the time is NOW.
Lenovo has discontinued the GT755M5 SLI card LONG ago. It's not available in Lenovo US website, eBAY(from where I got) or Amazon.
Some links I found:
Lenovo Y 15 inch Removable Graphics GT755M5 (Lenovo Warranty) - Buy at Best Price from iPmart Malaysia
Lenovo Y 15 inch Removable Graphics GT755M5 (Lenovo Warranty) (Selangor, end time 3/29/2015 MYT)

I don't know about the authenticity of these sites so beware. You can also wait for ebay to stock up but I don't think that's gonna happen. Also, GT 650m and GT 750m SLI cards are EXTINCT.

Also SLI doesn't give you 4GB of GDDR5 vRAM. Each card uses it's own 2 GB memory to render half the frames so effectively you still have 2 GB vRAM. Even though both vRAMs have the exact same textures in it, the cards can't share it. It's a limitation of SLI.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
If you want the SLI card, the time is NOW.
Lenovo has discontinued the GT755M5 SLI card LONG ago. It's not available in Lenovo US website, eBAY(from where I got) or Amazon.
Some links I found:
Lenovo Y 15 inch Removable Graphics GT755M5 (Lenovo Warranty) - Buy at Best Price from iPmart Malaysia
Lenovo Y 15 inch Removable Graphics GT755M5 (Lenovo Warranty) (Selangor, end time 3/29/2015 MYT)

I don't know about the authenticity of these sites so beware. You can also wait for ebay to stock up but I don't think that's gonna happen. Also, GT 650m and GT 750m SLI cards are EXTINCT.

Also SLI doesn't give you 4GB of GDDR5 vRAM. Each card uses it's own 2 GB memory to render half the frames so effectively you still have 2 GB vRAM. Even though both vRAMs have the exact same textures in it, the cards can't share it. It's a limitation of SLI.

discontinue..?:cool: well yes and no.
It's been out of stock but I've seen it return thrice on lenovo's own website for $99.99.

IPmart is a legit site but ~$17x for that card is bs (have even seen a pkg of a 755m+170w adaptor for abt $400 now that was total bs..~$72 worth of a adaptor+~$100 for the card that's $200 max. this then again if somebody's in US..I guess I'll have to ring up somebody ove thr:-?

my bad:-Dmust b having beer.. yes they work in parallel but effective perf is much greater so yea..all in all ++:)

chillz88

Broken In

i am going to buy one.. its easily better than the y510p in my needs and opinion.. i have tried hard for to get the the second gpu when i was planning to get the y510p .. dont think thats the way to go.. y50 is the way to go forward, slim, sleek, a single good 860m and so less heat... i might change the screen.. it isnt that tough and if you are lucky, you could change it back to the old lenovo screen and lenovo might never know it..

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
i am going to buy one.. its easily better than the y510p in my needs and opinion.. i have tried hard for to get the the second gpu when i was planning to get the y510p .. dont think thats the way to go.. y50 is the way to go forward, slim, sleek, a single good 860m and so less heat... i might change the screen.. it isnt that tough and if you are lucky, you could change it back to the old lenovo screen and lenovo might never know it..

+1 for the spirit..err..for changing the screen:cool:

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I myself regularly beat GTX 860m benchmarks. My cards are clocked much higher than normal GT 755ms.
The ultrabay concept is amazing in itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I myself was looking for an IPS screen for Y500 but I guess the original screen is not bad.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
I myself regularly beat GTX 860m benchmarks. My cards are clocked much higher than normal GT 755ms.
The ultrabay concept is amazing in itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I myself was looking for an IPS screen for Y500 but I guess the original screen is not bad.

apart from lap burning heat:-D

Y50x series is built as a desky replacement(the SLI party:cool:) for sure and ultra thins coming in nowadays...erm..y5x are for portability no doubt..860m is the cherry part :mrgreen: but with y50's own +/- ve's

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
apart from lap burning heat:-D

Y50x series is built as a desky replacement(the SLI party:cool:) for sure and ultra thins coming in nowadays...erm..y5x are for portability no doubt..860m is the cherry part :mrgreen: but with y50's own +/- ve's

Arctic Silver V FTW. I am thinking of switching over to IC Diamond for additional cooling.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
It's actually pretty fun.

allright..am just testing out arma 3 my machine just hit ~80*C mark maintaining 30-40FPS at standard/high @1080

will post updates...so far so good; that's without me switching on the AC for a room temp @ 22-24*C avg

ajmusicm

Broken In
Well I hope the Y50 comes soon and that too with the Maxwell GPU. And hope it's priced around the 75k mark like the Y510p.

And just recently, the Z50 was launched in India with the 840M GPU. So let's hope that the Y50 will also be launched soon.

P.S.: What are your thoughts on the Kaveri APU? Namely the FX-7600P?

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well I hope the Y50 comes soon and that too with the Maxwell GPU. And hope it's priced around the 75k mark like the Y510p.

And just recently, the Z50 was launched in India with the 840M GPU. So let's hope that the Y50 will also be launched soon.

P.S.: What are your thoughts on the Kaveri APU? Namely the FX-7600P?

It has been launched @77k.

eruku.ade

Broken In
Does anyone have any idea when the Y50 is going to be available in the stores? I'm planning to buy it around mid August. Also can anyone suggest some good shops in Nehru Place, Delhi, where I can get it at a reasonable price?

One more thing, the motherboard of my Dell N5010 recently died, that's why I am planning to buy the Y50. Now from the reviews I'm seeing that people are saying that the screen and keyboard are really bad. I thought that the screen and keyboard of the N5010 was really bad. As my next laptop, will the Y50's screen seem that awful as the reviewers are saying?

Last edited:

XxillexX

New to this forum
Guys you dont need to worry about the screen it'll be manageable as the screen of Y50 is 15.6" TN(twisted nematic) panel not "IPS Panel", which is the screen used for pure gaming.
Although, IPS display has better colour reproduction & viewing angles than the TN panel but it has very less response time (it's the time a pixel needs to turn white from black) compared to TN panel & that's the quality of TN panel it has no or very less Ghosting effect meaning very smooth and faster refresh rates than the IPS panel.

IPS panel is good for Movies, photography, desginers, etc. whereas TN panel is good for gaming. So, this rig is made for pure gaming...Enjoy.

Top Bottom