The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Shipping out date changed from 31st July to 4 August.
Also heard from a local dealer that we are getting the kepler version, same as some other countries.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Shipping out date changed from 31st July to 4 August.
Also heard from a local dealer that we are getting the kepler version, same as some other countries.

yes..it's now 4th Aug

Contact details for "this" dealer of yours? o_O Also, I'd to know a country who has only got the kepler version and not the maxwell one for the 2GB version. (talking about legit/genuine/country's authorized sets and not grey-market/imported etc)

A point I want to make here is..dealer's don't usually know $h!t about what architecture the graphics card will be based on..unless they themselves go abroad and import the sets and/or are from private corp.(s) who sell in bulk..
then too the chances are really low..depending upon their technical prowess/curiosity/taking care of "things" a customer would be willing to buy

I'd wait..for some credible info to get out there..

Last edited:

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
yes..it's now 4th Aug

Contact details for "this" dealer of yours? o_O Also, I'd to know a country who has only got the kepler version and not the maxwell one for the 2GB version. (talking about legit/genuine/country's authorized sets and not grey-market/imported etc)

A point I want to make here is..dealer's don't usually know $h!t about what architecture the graphics card will be based on..unless they themselves go abroad and import the sets and/or are from private corp.(s) who sell in bulk..
then too the chances are really low..depending upon their technical prowess/curiosity/taking care of "things" a customer would be willing to buy

I'd wait..for some credible info to get out there..

Actually, I was quoting a friend (who asked some dealer), so apologies for that, shud have mentioned.

AFAIK all 2GB models are Maxwell while some/all? 4GB models are Kepler. Going by logic, we should get Maxwell.
Eagerly waiting for an Indian Genuine Review.
Wanted to buy Y510p i5 version, but it has been discontinued i guess, as it is not available anywhere for that 56k price.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Actually, I was quoting a friend (who asked some dealer), so apologies for that, shud have mentioned.

AFAIK all 2GB models are Maxwell while some/all? 4GB models are Kepler. Going by logic, we should get Maxwell.
Eagerly waiting for an Indian Genuine Review.
Wanted to buy Y510p i5 version, but it has been discontinued i guess, as it is not available anywhere for that 56k price.

no worries..:-D

well afaik..kepler has been shipped in mixed mode..for ex. 90% maxwell stocks and 10% randomly distributed kepler stocks (yes I myself have never read/seen pictorial proof about 2GB kepler in a lenovo Y50 but yes for 4GB keplers are out there)

y510p i5 variant is available on thedostore if you're still interested; don't remember it's price..

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
no worries..:-D

well afaik..kepler has been shipped in mixed mode..for ex. 90% maxwell stocks and 10% randomly distributed kepler stocks (yes I myself have never read/seen pictorial proof about 2GB kepler in a lenovo Y50 but yes for 4GB keplers are out there)

y510p i5 variant is available on thedostore if you're still interested; don't remember it's price..

It is out of stock there.
Lets wait for the y50 indian review or personally check it out at a store, if the screen is decent, I think an 860m with a lighter n cooler body , plus an i7 is worthy of the extra 18-20k.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Check out this link: *www.facebook.com/LenovoIndia/photo...8880728155045/763871356989309/?type=1&theater

Someone has posted CPU-Z/GPU-Z screenshots.

GPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614748872054&set=p.10204614748872054&type=1&theater - 860M
GPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614747432018&set=p.10204614747432018&type=1&theater - Onboard
CPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614745791977&set=p.10204614745791977&type=1&theater

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Check out this link: *www.facebook.com/LenovoIndia/photo...8880728155045/763871356989309/?type=1&theater

GPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614748872054&set=p.10204614748872054&type=1&theater - 860M
GPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614747432018&set=p.10204614747432018&type=1&theater - Onboard
CPU-Z: *www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204614745791977&set=p.10204614745791977&type=1&theater

that keyboard pic?:|

any confirmation to these cpu/gpu-Z shots..as to where these are from? taken from an imported variant of lenovo Y50? as shipping date was shifted from 30th jul to 4th aug

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
^^
The comments. Not the picture. The guy who posted the photos said he received his laptop yesterday (2nd August, 2014) and that it comes with backpack+external DVD drive. He did mention it somewhere about it being the Indian version and not imported.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
^^
The comments. Not the picture. The guy who posted the photos said he received his laptop yesterday (2nd August, 2014) and that it comes with backpack+external DVD drive. He did mention it somewhere about it being the Indian version and not imported.

my bad..my plugin..filtered all the f**crap out:-D

Last edited:

eruku.ade

Broken In
According to the screenshots it seems to be the Maxwell version (GM107). Can someone post the exact laptop model variant number so that I can verify at the stores?

vineetpratik

Broken In

thats some good info , sweet maxwell , can some one guess when it would be available in local shops ?

pr94rr

Broken In

I really doubt that the images are from the Indian version.
I actually want to buy the Y50 so I inquired with 4 exclusive stores in Bangalore who said that they are yet to receive the product and then I called up Lenovo sales contact itself and asked them the fastest way to get this product and they told me it's via the DoStore website and that the first batch will be shipped on 4th from Mumbai and could take a week to reach me.

vineetpratik

Broken In
I really doubt that the images are from the Indian version.
I actually want to buy the Y50 so I inquired with 4 exclusive stores in Bangalore who said that they are yet to receive the product and then I called up Lenovo sales contact itself and asked them the fastest way to get this product and they told me it's via the DoStore website and that the first batch will be shipped on 4th from Mumbai and could take a week to reach me.

I just talked to that person priyank bahl on facebook , it seems pretty sure he got it from indian do store website , he told me he ordered on 30th and got it in 2nd Aug , and he is from delhi... Although i asked him to reply to this thread too

Here is another image too.. he posted
*www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204617481540369&set=p.10204617481540369&type=1

chillz88

Broken In
it would be good to know which display panel he got too.. maybe the first few indian batches might have the same panels

pr94rr

Broken In
I just talked to that person priyank bahl on facebook , it seems pretty sure he got it from indian do store website , he told me he ordered on 30th and got it in 2nd Aug , and he is from delhi... Although i asked him to reply to this thread too

Here is another image too.. he posted
*www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204617481540369&set=p.10204617481540369&type=1
Well then it seems the sales guy was telling me about the 2nd batch. I talked to them on 1st morning and that's what he told me - 1st batch leaving on 4th and could take 4-7 days to reach bangalore from there warehouse in Mumbai.
Bu yeah this Priyank guy seems legit.

ajmusicm

Broken In
Well then it seems the sales guy was telling me about the 2nd batch. I talked to them on 1st morning and that's what he told me - 1st batch leaving on 4th and could take 4-7 days to reach bangalore from there warehouse in Mumbai.
Bu yeah this Priyank guy seems legit.

So far the pics seem like they're definitely legit. And from the GPU-Z screenshots, it seems like the GPU is DEFINITELY the Maxwell variant of the GTX 860M. And from the clock speeds, they seem like they haven't under clocked it so it should give the same performance as that of the regular GTX 860M.

But the Y50 is currently available only for pre-order on the Lenovo Website. I still don't understand as to why didn't they make the same panels as that of the Y510P. Maybe to save costs, they had to cut some corners? But I was watching a video where they were showing off the Y50 UHD touch model and it was looking fantastic to say the least. But of course the UHD model might never get released in India. But on that Facebook page, Priyank did say that the screen is not as bad as the reviews say it is. So I guess for general use and Gaming, it should be manageable.

And [MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION], I was afraid the GTX 860M might not be good enough for gamin on Max settings at 1080P with MXAA and Textures turned up to full. But if we disable Multi-Sampling and turn the textures to High then it should give a decent FPS (>30 FPS). But an year down the line, the GTX 860M may not be able to handle even High settings for the next-gen games. So I guess a PS4/XBOX ONE + an HDTV combo still dominates the Laptop segment sans for the portability.

Last edited:

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
If the screen is indeed bad, and people complain about it , then I am confident Lenovo might release a new version with a better screen, but in about 4-5 months time (might even push the price a lil higher?).

I hope Lenovo restocks the y510p i5 version for around 55k, for budget gamers.
I also expect the y50 to be available for around 72-73k when it is widely available in local stores and other websites like flipkart etc. So if the screen is decent, then for that price y50 is a killer of a deal, considering MSI still haven't released their line of laptops and rumours suggest they cant match the pricing of lenovo.

ajmusicm

Broken In
If the screen is indeed bad, and people complain about it , then I am confident Lenovo might release a new version with a better screen, but in about 4-5 months time (might even push the price a lil higher?).

I hope Lenovo restocks the y510p i5 version for around 55k, for budget gamers.
I also expect the y50 to be available for around 72-73k when it is widely available in local stores and other websites like flipkart etc. So if the screen is decent, then for that price y50 is a killer of a deal, considering MSI still haven't released their line of laptops and rumours suggest they cant match the pricing of lenovo.

Yeah, that's true. But the price drop will happen only after a few months time. Until then the price will remain at around 77k. But when the price drop will happen, there will be more laptops from other manufacturers with similar specs in the similar price range which might not make the Y50 as tempting as it seemed before. But I agree that the Y510P was an awesome laptop at that time.

I just hope that in a few years time, all manufacturers release their laptops at the same time as that of the other countries. This will mean fair pricing and more availability as people do buy gaming laptops in India as we'll and not just mid-range laptops. It will also increase the competition in the gaming segment laptops which will result in aggressive pricing also. Let's hope for the best!!!

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Yeah, that's true. But the price drop will happen only after a few months time. Until then the price will remain at around 77k. But when the price drop will happen, there will be more laptops from other manufacturers with similar specs in the similar price range which might not make the Y50 as tempting as it seemed before. But I agree that the Y510P was an awesome laptop at that time.

I just hope that in a few years time, all manufacturers release their laptops at the same time as that of the other countries. This will mean fair pricing and more availability as people do buy gaming laptops in India as we'll and not just mid-range laptops. It will also increase the competition in the gaming segment laptops which will result in aggressive pricing also. Let's hope for the best!!!

I was not talking about price drop bro, what I meant was that in some offer (like 3000-4000 cashback or interest free emi etc) we might get the laptop with effective pricing of 73k, which is excellent given the fact that it is the only gaming laptop in this range currently.

Heard MSI is having some issues with Indian government, which is postponing their launch.

ajmusicm

Broken In
I was not talking about price drop bro, what I meant was that in some offer (like 3000-4000 cashback or interest free emi etc) we might get the laptop with effective pricing of 73k, which is excellent given the fact that it is the only gaming laptop in this range currently.

Heard MSI is having some issues with Indian government, which is postponing their launch.

Oh ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Till date only Dell Alienware, ASUS ROG series have made it to India as true gaming laptops other than the Lenovo Y series. I don't consider HP, Vaio, Samsung, Acer, etc. laptops as true gaming laptops. Sure they have decent CPU's but their GPU's are only mid-range. I hope Razer, MSI also make their mark in India as those are amazing laptops.

The MSI G70 is a pretty awesome laptop albeit it's price. But MSI can come up with some budget gaming laptops as well which can compete with the Y50. The biggest obstacle right now for the Y50 is it's screen. If that obstacle is removed, then it will be the BEST laptop for its price.