The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

ajmusicm

Broken In
Hey guys. Nice to see a thread for the Lenovo Y50 inspite of the launch being a month from now. So looking at the specs of the Lenovo Y50, I think that they will launch only the base variant with following specs in India:

1) i7-4702HQ
2) GTX 860M (Maxwell GM107 Core) variant with 2GB VRAM
3) FHD (1920X1080) Display Non-Touch/Touch (UHD :?:)
4) 8 GB RAM
5) 1 TB HDD (With MSATA I Guess?)

And remaining standard specs like WIFI, Bluetooth, Card Reader, etc.; Though it won't be equipped with a DVD Drive as it has been clarified before.

So for these specs, I think that the price tag of the Lenovo Y50 should be around 85K for the Non-Touch Model and 90K for the Touch Model. (This should be the Official Lenovo Price without any discounts and so the final price SHOULD be lower)

And if they do price it at his price, then I think the sales of the Lenovo Y50 should really take off as the GTX 860M is pretty powerful for a FHD Display and should be able to handle almost any game (with a few exceptions) on Ultra settings.

What do you guys think? Is the Y50 worth 80-85k for these specs?

P.S.: Currently, a 10% Discount offer for many laptops is going on at Flipkart which includes the Y510P (i7 version) so the price is around 70K.

Happy Gaming,

Aj.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
mSATA HDDs don't exist. mSATA SSDs do.
An 1 TB mSATA SSD costs 50k bucks.
GTX 860m won't be able to handle 2014 AAA games(except Wolf new order) at ultra. Watch_Dogs=Med-High. Witcher 3(2015)=most certainly med.

nrvpnchl

Broken In
We have to wait a little longer :'(
*m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=736490106394101&id=118880728155045&refid=17

ajmusicm

Broken In
mSATA HDDs don't exist. mSATA SSDs do.
An 1 TB mSATA SSD costs 50k bucks.
GTX 860m won't be able to handle 2014 AAA games(except Wolf new order) at ultra. Watch_Dogs=Med-High. Witcher 3(2015)=most certainly med.

Well sorry for the mSATA confusion. I actually meant 1 TB with mSATA SSD in a Hybrid Solution (Official Lenovo website has the specs written as Hybrid 1 TB + 8 GB mSATA SSD. So I don't know if the mSATA SSD will also be available in India).

But yeah, the GTX 860M should be able to do atleast Medium for all games. I had high hopes for the GTX 860M but I guess in 1 year's time, even this card will become yesterday's news. (Better buy a PS4 then :) )

And now they've delayed the launch as well. This will really hurt their sales as now was the perfect time to launch this laptop as it has the best specs in the market (atleast in terms of price/performance ratio).

This is the best laptop for its price (Atleast in the US). And delaying the launch will not do any good for them. I hope that they launch it sooner than later else other laptops will start popping up.

P.S.: What do you guys think of the AMD Mobile Kaveri APU (The FX-7600P) ? Do you think that pairing this APU with a dGPU in Crossfire will come close to the GTX 860M performance? (Ofcourse given that Micro-stuttering stays away)

Happy Gaming,

Aj.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, one more question. In the US, this laptop is shipping with i7-4700HQ and NOT i7-4702HQ. So the heat dissipated will be more I assume? And is the cooling of the Y50 sufficient to keep things under check during intense gaming sessions?

Happy Gaming,

Aj.

Last edited:

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Well sorry for the mSATA confusion. I actually meant 1 TB with mSATA SSD in a Hybrid Solution (Official Lenovo website has the specs written as Hybrid 1 TB + 8 GB mSATA SSD. So I don't know if the mSATA SSD will also be available in India).

But yeah, the GTX 860M should be able to do atleast Medium for all games. I had high hopes for the GTX 860M but I guess in 1 year's time, even this card will become yesterday's news. (Better buy a PS4 then :) )

And now they've delayed the launch as well. This will really hurt their sales as now was the perfect time to launch this laptop as it has the best specs in the market (atleast in terms of price/performance ratio).

This is the best laptop for its price (Atleast in the US). And delaying the launch will not do any good for them. I hope that they launch it sooner than later else other laptops will start popping up.

P.S.: What do you guys think of the AMD Mobile Kaveri APU (The FX-7600P) ? Do you think that pairing this APU with a dGPU in Crossfire will come close to the GTX 860M performance? (Ofcourse given that Micro-stuttering stays away)

Happy Gaming,

Aj.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, one more question. In the US, this laptop is shipping with i7-4700HQ and NOT i7-4702HQ. So the heat dissipated will be more I assume? And is the cooling of the Y50 sufficient to keep things under check during intense gaming sessions?

Happy Gaming,

Aj.

Y50's having 2x fans; 1x for the GPU and the other for CPU. just search on youtube "y50 ram"

and in US they're first selling off the 4700HQ model as fast as they can though 4710HQ's also selling but lenovo is delaying their production/delivery whatever.

I am also considering to get myself a y50 but holding off as I need the 4710HQ model IKR there isn't much of a diff. but let's see. 4710HQ is exclusively selling off lenovo's own e-store (might be available on others as well but it's priced way off my budget) and they're fkn delaying random customers so who knows. I am not going to buy it if it's above $1300 what so ever..from where ever so I'll be waiting for some time 2-4 days and will see if I can get myself a 4710HQ or lastly the 4700HQ 860m 2gb model.

I've seen pretty close up pics of a y50 from one of my friens in the US and trust me it's really a bang for the buck!
And yes am pissed off by Lenovo India.:-x

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Looks like Y50 is not much of a upgrade over Y510p SLI or even Y500 SLI version.
Keyboard is same.
Resolution is same(1080p) but it has touch capabilities.
Laptop is a considerably slimmer.
No DVD Drive option.
Not much improvement in the CPU department either.

nougain

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] - Where have you hooked in 128GB mSATA SSD on your personal Y500 -- through Ultrabay? Also, what do you use it for?

I was making-up my mind to buy Y510p (over HP and Dell) later this month until I came across this Y50 news. Now this Y50 is making me tempted towards it. In double mind because of uncertainty around it's India release date/price/L&F/performance but yet I would prefer to have something that will remain relevant for next 3+ years.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] - Where have you hooked in 128GB mSATA SSD on your personal Y500 -- through Ultrabay? Also, what do you use it for?

I was making-up my mind to buy Y510p (over HP and Dell) later this month until I came across this Y50 news. Now this Y50 is making me tempted towards it. In double mind because of uncertainty around it's India release date/price/L&F/performance but yet I would prefer to have something that will remain relevant for next 3+ years.

I have an extra mSATA slot in my laptop. I use the SSD as a boot drive and Ultrabay stores the graphic card with occasional transition to the DVD department.

sama

Broken In
lenovo posts y50 specs on Indian site

Lenovo Y50 Laptop | 15.6" High-Performance Gaming Notebook PC | Lenovo (IN)

vineetpratik

Broken In
How powerful will it be in terms of gaming?

Can easily max out most of games at 1080p except a few very demanding titles that will run fluently at high settings.
Check notebookreview mobile graphic benchmark list and you can look YouTube for gaming videos too.

- - - Updated - - -

Congo guys!
Expected date-End of this month!

Recently had a chat with lenovo executive!

great news , but on facebook when i asked they told launching date of august.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Can easily max out most of games at 1080p except a few very demanding titles that will run fluently at high settings.
Check notebookreview mobile graphic benchmark list and you can look YouTube for gaming videos too.

Watch_Dogs--> Medium.

Top Bottom