The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

starbearer

Broken In
About MSI:
Good quality laptops, used when I was in Seattle but obviously even if you have those in India you first need service shops for those coz then only you should buy laptop....where will you go if your laptop breaksdown after 1 week...you dont want to give it for 1 month only for repair.

Date for y50:
Lets follow on the thread for it, I think some1 already made it. For now got a confirmation from a nehru place wholesaler for lenovo. He used to be the vendor for think laptops for my office, he confirmed from his consumer partner....but still u never know. He also mentioned that these are new category so expect a higher price even as dollar falls.

Laptops to import if you want (taking service risk on ur head)
Gigabyte p35k (cf1 or cf2 or cf3).
Acer aspire v3-772g and other models in series.
Asus ROG 15.6 models, we have only 17inch.
dell 7000 series 17inch model.

Hp has got some models but on higher range with 4gb graphic card models and leap motion series.

Aakhri mein hamara bhartiya sabak:
Any company can be/would be like tata indica, they keep on upgrading and changing with their faults but never have been at that level where the faults would be eliminated. ..hahahahahahha lolz

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
About MSI:
Good quality laptops, used when I was in Seattle but obviously even if you have those in India you first need service shops for those coz then only you should buy laptop....where will you go if your laptop breaksdown after 1 week...you dont want to give it for 1 month only for repair.

Date for y50:
Lets follow on the thread for it, I think some1 already made it. For now got a confirmation from a nehru place wholesaler for lenovo. He used to be the vendor for think laptops for my office, he confirmed from his consumer partner....but still u never know. He also mentioned that these are new category so expect a higher price even as dollar falls.

Laptops to import if you want (taking service risk on ur head)
Gigabyte p35k (cf1 or cf2 or cf3).
Acer aspire v3-772g and other models in series.
Asus ROG 15.6 models, we have only 17inch.
dell 7000 series 17inch model.

Hp has got some models but on higher range with 4gb graphic card models and leap motion series.

Aakhri mein hamara bhartiya sabak:
Any company can be/would be like tata indica, they keep on upgrading and changing with their faults but never have been at that level where the faults would be eliminated. ..hahahahahahha lolz

Rhyansy said something about a dedicated MSI service site. IMO if performance laptops are available in India then importing is a bad option.

Also the amount of vRAM doesn't necessarily mean that the laptop will perform good in games. For instance HP leap motion 17" laptop has 4 GB DD3 GT 750m. This laptop will perform worse than Lenovo Y510p(2 GB GT 755m) because it has DDR3 type memory and not GDDR5. HP costs 1 lakh+ :(

Vincilydic

Right off the assembly line
Hey everyone. So just new to this y510p section. I plan on buying from Flipkart and have a few questions.
Some many have been answered before, but please bare with me.

1) The FK model is GT755M correct ?
Lenovo hasn't updated this info anywhere, Pathetic.
3) Does the Laptop have it's own EMPTY SSD Slot ?

2) I plan on buying a Samsung 840 PRO 500GB SSD, I have 2 options.
a) Add the SSD to the SSD slot of the laptop
b) Shift HDD to Ultra Bay port using a Caddy. Can someone link me to a Caddy that will fit? I hear it needs a special one.

3)Dual Graphics.
Here my problems start,
A) Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5

Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5 | Lenovo | (US)

B)Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5

Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5 | Lenovo | (US)

Since FK model has 755M I buy the GT755M5 correct ? Available for ONLY USD 99!

And a 170W power block, can i buy that in India? Or do i have to import that along with SLI graphics from USA ?
And is the charger compatible with India outlets ?

Vincilydic

*Quoted wrong person sorry. Mod please fix.
Also i hear that SLI does NOT work in Windows 8.1 and that there are problems ?

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V...0p-sli-card-not-detected/td-p/1312283/page/37

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey everyone. So just new to this y510p section. I plan on buying from Flipkart and have a few questions.
Some many have been answered before, but please bare with me.

1) The FK model is GT755M correct ?
Lenovo hasn't updated this info anywhere, Pathetic.
3) Does the Laptop have it's own EMPTY SSD Slot ?

2) I plan on buying a Samsung 840 PRO 500GB SSD, I have 2 options.
a) Add the SSD to the SSD slot of the laptop
b) Shift HDD to Ultra Bay port using a Caddy. Can someone link me to a Caddy that will fit? I hear it needs a special one.

3)Dual Graphics.
Here my problems start,
A) Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5

Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5 | Lenovo | (US)

B)Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5

Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5 | Lenovo | (US)

Since FK model has 755M I buy the GT755M5 correct ? Available for ONLY USD 99!

And a 170W power block, can i buy that in India? Or do i have to import that along with SLI graphics from USA ?
And is the charger compatible with India outlets ?

Yes the GT755M5 is the correct card.
You will need the 170w brick to play games and it is not compatible with Indian ports. You need a US to India converter which costs 30 bucks locally but I suggest getting a good quality of at least 150 bucks which is surge protected.

Vincilydic

Yes the GT755M5 is the correct card.
You will need the 170w brick to play games and it is not compatible with Indian ports. You need a US to India converter which costs 30 bucks locally but I suggest getting a good quality of at least 150 bucks which is surge protected.

Oh perfect. So i beleive the Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5 SLI thingy is what i need.
Im shocked that it sells for only USD 99. Surprised in fact.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Oh perfect. So i beleive the Y510P Removable Graphics GT755M5 SLI thingy is what i need.
Im shocked that it sells for only USD 99. Surprised in fact.

You better buy it fast before Lenovo decides to increase the price. Anyways you got the laptop yet?

Vincilydic

Just placed an order on Flipkart.
Also there are 2 170W charergs on ther website
One for USD69 other for USD39 or USD29 . Not sure which one.

God do i hate lenovo for not updating their listings.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Just placed an order on Flipkart.
Also there are 2 170W charergs on ther website
One for USD69 other for USD39 or USD29 . Not sure which one.

God do i hate lenovo for not updating their listings.

See which one is for Ideapad. Thinkpad one won't fit in.

iamzero

Broken In
hey guys,

My cracking sound issues is still not solved even after all parts replaced. During last onsite service report they asked me to give my laptop in office for thorough diagnosis (lame excuse) and on that point did not proceed for DOa. Laptop was bought on diwali so again they are sending an engineer for thorough diagnosis, can anyone tell me how to convince them for DOA.

Or if they again order same parts, can anyone tell me how to legally sue them in consumer forum online/offline and what costs and mental bearings and time does it take? I have all recorded calls and all proofs and have been waiting for 2 and a half months and issues still not solved.

What if engineer orders same part again? then they will say you did not allow us to order parts and blah blah! ?

I want to get something done quickly, Any advises are welcome. How to convince them for DOA? They are not understanding and my issues remains as it is. The previous engineer said for DOA but mentioned not allowed for office diagnosis and on that basis they got few more days for not taking any action. How to go about now?

Let me know details of going in consumer forum and is it worth it? How is AKOSHA? Is it able to get a customer DOA?

iamzero

Broken In

someone help em with my query!

- - - Updated - - -

hey guys,

My cracking sound issues is still not solved even after all parts replaced. During last onsite service report they asked me to give my laptop in office for thorough diagnosis (lame excuse) and on that point did not proceed for DOa. Laptop was bought on diwali so again they are sending an engineer for thorough diagnosis, can anyone tell me how to convince them for DOA.

Or if they again order same parts, can anyone tell me how to legally sue them in consumer forum online/offline and what costs and mental bearings and time does it take? I have all recorded calls and all proofs and have been waiting for 2 and a half months and issues still not solved.

What if engineer orders same part again? then they will say you did not allow us to order parts and blah blah! ?

I want to get something done quickly, Any advises are welcome. How to convince them for DOA? They are not understanding and my issues remains as it is. The previous engineer said for DOA but mentioned not allowed for office diagnosis and on that basis they got few more days for not taking any action. How to go about now?

Let me know details of going in consumer forum and is it worth it? How is AKOSHA? Is it able to get a customer DOA?

Help!!

starbearer

Broken In
For y510p SSD:
Y510P doesnt have the msata slot..In fact it has the new upgraded version of m2.sata aka ngff connector. Look into my early post with pics.

For DOA:
Retailer DOA : first 7 days
Lenovo DOA :On discretion of engineer

First get your engineer to write as DOA case plus also mention " done all possible steps even replaced the hardware, only solution is replacement as complete faulty unit.
Get this thing on the Inspection sheet that the engineer gets.
contact the below lencare ppl
lencare@lenovo.com
customercare@lencare.co.in

Let them know the complete issue...describe each issue with more pain and problem...see what they respond....if they cant assist ... forward me their reply on "pm" I will then give you some names that might help at lenovo.
**plz understand ur laptop is pretty old so u can expect a negative answer also but there isnt risk in fighting for it.

ultrabay features:

Initial options were Blue Ray drive, cooling fan, dual graphic card, Hard disk, Optical drive.

1 can install two hdd in one laptop using hdd caddy available at 700rs and use the internal dvd drive as external using casing for rs 600
(I use 2hdd both at 5400rpm, avoid diff rpm's hdd)
I have installed separate thermal paste inside hdd caddy to avoid temps as all games and major heat increasing software is in this hdd, helps keeping the hdd at low temps :)

Cooling fan --- closed from lenovo
Blue Ray --- No need yet

2nd graphic card
Available at 99$ at lenovo, better use 170w charger otherwise use existing laptop with underclocking gpu and cpu power. ..what yse then...exactly!!!!
*for gt755m

Moving OS to another drive:
Personally I have to try that soon as it interests me more.
options: either on m2.sata or on 2nd hdd.
Avoid formatting the original hdd as it has all the partitions such as for one key recovery (very imp) and OS and Drivers...so I feel no use.
So better take that out use as external as it has huge space.
Now comes my project:
Will use 500gb of 7200rpm speed for initial os on win7 plus another 500gb at 7200rpm only for programs and 64gb m2 sata only for cache... (expensive project)
My gain????

Useless money scraped on 2 new drives...hence project scrapped!!!!

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
ultrabay features:

Initial options were Blue Ray drive, cooling fan, dual graphic card, Hard disk, Optical drive.

1 can install two hdd in one laptop using hdd caddy available at 700rs and use the internal dvd drive as external using casing for rs 600
(I use 2hdd both at 5400rpm, avoid diff rpm's hdd)
I have installed separate thermal paste inside hdd caddy to avoid temps as all games and major heat increasing software is in this hdd, helps keeping the hdd at low temps :)

Cooling fan --- closed from lenovo
Blue Ray --- No need yet

2nd graphic card
Available at 99$ at lenovo, better use 170w charger otherwise use existing laptop with underclocking gpu and cpu power. ..what yse then...exactly!!!!
*for gt755m

Wut? Thermal paste for HDD!? No offense but isn't that kind of stupid and wastage of money. Thermal paste is a great conductor of heat, it's applied on the CPU/GPU to transfer heat quickly to the heatsink. Now the unless the HDD directly touches the heatsink, which I believe it does not, applying thermal paste on it is pointless.

Don't try to use ultrabay GPU without 170w charger. The clocks WILL NOT underclock but instead the whole system will perform a kind of mini-shutdown. Screen will switch off, Nvidia Kernel will crash and all applications/games will shut down.

Also getting a 7200RPM drive is a good idea when you don't want to switch over to a Raid 0 setup as it will provide that little extra speed. If you wanna go Raid 0 then you will need same RPM drives.

starbearer

Broken In
Wut? Thermal paste for HDD!? No offense but isn't that kind of stupid and wastage of money. Thermal paste is a great conductor of heat, it's applied on the CPU/GPU to transfer heat quickly to the heatsink. Now the unless the HDD directly touches the heatsink, which I believe it does not, applying thermal paste on it is pointless.

Don't try to use ultrabay GPU without 170w charger. The clocks WILL NOT underclock but instead the whole system will perform a kind of mini-shutdown. Screen will switch off, Nvidia Kernel will crash and all applications/games will shut down.

Also getting a 7200RPM drive is a good idea when you don't want to switch over to a Raid 0 setup as it will provide that little extra speed. If you wanna go Raid 0 then you will need same RPM drives.

No offense....

Not knowing wat use the hdd will go into u cant call the idea stupid...right...and i aint need of any money and I got loads to waste let me know if u need some

there are hdds that have fan mounted on them to keep them cool...logically in desktops. ..since people have installed water cooling in laptops....thermal isnt a waste but infact helps the 2nd hdd better as there is no vent or exhaust fan for 2nd.
**hope u know when cooler it runs better and performs better....unless u can provide a solution of installing a Fan and 2nd hdd is same space I think ill stick to stupid idea...also thermal isnt pasted directly to hdd nor in direct contact..there are special tapes that are heat absorbent ....so thermal is evenly placed under that tape and then u got the hdd in caddy. Try it u will notice the stupid idea is a better thought. ...goodluck

Top Bottom