The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You can try underclocking your GPU to GT 650M levels to keep it cool. This applies when the game is not demanding and the GPU is getting used to provide 60 fps+. For eg. Today I was playing Sleeping Dogs with heavily OCed GT 650ms and the ultrabay card reached 93 degrees. I was getting 60-70 FPS with everything maxed out and AA set to normal. I dropped the OC and reduced clocks to stock GT 650m and I am now getting 50-60 FPS @ 83 degrees max.

starbearer

Broken In
Any1 faced:

1) Camera not found while entering the password/veriface id detection (please note camera not found will only appear if u have veriface enabled for password enter screen and you want the laptop to use ur face as password)
-》reinstalling drivers or recovery doesnt help!

2) At lowest/dimmest brightness level the screen flickers (irrespective of laptop being on power cord or not I can see the screen flicker)
-》 changing dpi to 60htz from 59dpi doesnt help, reinstalled the graphic driver still no luck.

Please check at ur end and let me know your findings :)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Any1 faced:

1) Camera not found while entering the password/veriface id detection (please note camera not found will only appear if u have veriface enabled for password enter screen and you want the laptop to use ur face as password)

2) At lowest/dimmest brightness level the screen flickers (irrespective of laptop being on power cord or not I can see the screen flicker)
-》 changing dpi to 60htz from 59dpi doesnt help, reinstalled the graphic driver still no luck.

You sure are an unlucky one aren't you? First defective Y500, now this.

starbearer

Broken In
Unlucky is a small word my friend...im lucky to have got this eye for satisfaction in worth of money spent...if im spending 75k I think ideserve 100% satisfaction...anyways to top these issues there is hinge difference in locking of keyboard to the laptop...I did rectify the monitor beezel which wasnt correctly installed...2 laptops from same retailer..im sure im going to order a new one if I will only from direct lenovo this time..

I sometime wish I do not catch things so easily which are wrong and I cud live upto it...but I cant.....but thats just me.

**word of advise...do check ur laptops everyone once its new so "DOA"doesnt become an issue and above all when ure buying this laptop brand new... ure safer when its not at ur home for u to find issues.. :)

udit247

Journeyman
Any1 faced:

Found no problems as such.

iamzero

Broken In
they have not replaced the heat sink yet and will do in there next visit.
the sound issue i not yet solved: touchpad replaced 2 times, cover where motherboard is placed 1 time, now only the abck cover is to be checked.

can anyone tell me how to proceed for a refund in this case or get everything solved completely

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
they have not replaced the heat sink yet and will do in there next visit.
the sound issue i not yet solved: touchpad replaced 2 times, cover where motherboard is placed 1 time, now only the abck cover is to be checked.

can anyone tell me how to proceed for a refund in this case or get everything solved completely

What temps are you getting now? Remember 90 is normal for Y510p during intense gaming because Lenovo themselves increased the voltage for the GPU. The sample in notebookcheknet reached upto 96 on ultrabay GPU.

What sound issue? When you go for the checkup stay with them and test the device there and then.

iamzero

Broken In
What temps are you getting now? Remember 90 is normal for Y510p during intense gaming because Lenovo themselves increased the voltage for the GPU. The sample in notebookcheknet reached upto 96 on ultrabay GPU.

What sound issue? When you go for the checkup stay with them and test the device there and then.

Still 90 on arkham origins high settings for 20 min duration. Before that i crossed the hard mode around 75 only. in the i am night mode it raises to 95 and then throttles as it uses intel card.

The right area besides touchpad when pressed makes a cracking sound, already replaced the touchpad and part where motherboard is fitted where serial no is pasted. They are going to give a try again with back cover at last and then ill see.

They are coming with replacing the heat sink, is it the thermal module or is it separate?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Still 90 on arkham origins high settings for 20 min duration. Before that i crossed the hard mode around 75 only. in the i am night mode it raises to 95 and then throttles as it uses intel card.

The right area besides touchpad when pressed makes a cracking sound, already replaced the touchpad and part where motherboard is fitted where serial no is pasted. They are going to give a try again with back cover at last and then ill see.

They are coming with replacing the heat sink, is it the thermal module or is it separate?

what thermal module?

starbearer

Broken In
They mite replace the thermal solution which would be grey in color and/or replace the copper rods attached to the fan as well to check the temps then..my best bet is replacing the thermal heat solution could do the job and if it does...go ahead and secure your investment by buying artic silver from amazon and ship it to india...then open ur laptop by yourself or a local engineer and apply that paste.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
They mite replace the thermal solution which would be grey in color and/or replace the copper rods attached to the fan as well to check the temps then..my best bet is replacing the thermal heat solution could do the job and if it does...go ahead and secure your investment by buying artic silver from amazon and ship it to india...then open ur laptop by yourself or a local engineer and apply that paste.

IC Diamond is better in the sense if it accidentally gets in the circuit, it won't short circuit.

starbearer

Broken In
Arrey! It was me who only mentioned ic diamond to you sometime back remember? Lolz...
Unfortunately artic silver is cheaper than ic diamond....and I dont think so someone would want to spend 3000 on just the thermal...hahahhahaha

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Arrey! It was me who only mentioned ic diamond to you sometime back remember? Lolz...
Unfortunately artic silver is cheaper than ic diamond....and I dont think so someone would want to spend 3000 on just the thermal...hahahhahaha

IC Diamond is cheaper than Arctic Silver.

IC Diamond 24 Carat 4 8 Gram Thermal Compound | eBay

I saw IC Diamond first in Xotic PC website and it's much safer than Arctic Silver.

falcongamer

Broken In
Hey, I'm planning to buy a multimedia notebook and am leaning towards the Y510p. I have a few questions before I make the decision:
Is it currently being shipped with Synaptics or Elan touchpad? Which is better? Have all the issues been resolved for both touchpads finally?

Any other issues or variations model-to-model that I need to look at before I buy?

Are the CPU and GPU both overclockable and underclockable in this laptop? Can core voltages be changed? Im sorry if it sounds like a newbie question, have almost zero experience with laptops.

How is the build quality? How much of it is metal?

Thanks.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey, I'm planning to buy a multimedia notebook and am leaning towards the Y510p. I have a few questions before I make the decision:
Is it currently being shipped with Synaptics or Elan touchpad? Which is better? Have all the issues been resolved for both touchpads finally?

Any other issues or variations model-to-model that I need to look at before I buy?

Are the CPU and GPU both overclockable and underclockable in this laptop? Can core voltages be changed? Im sorry if it sounds like a newbie question, have almost zero experience with laptops.

How is the build quality? How much of it is metal?

Thanks.

Synaptics is better and your model should contain the Synaptics one.

No specific issues. Just check which SSD slot you have before ordering a SSD.

GPU is overclockable upto +125Mhz core and +1000Mhz memory. It's not a good idea to overclock anything in this laptop. The CPU is pretty damn powerful and doesn't need any more overclocking. The GPU is also a overclocked and overvolted model of GT 650m and therefore runs quite hot and even more if overclocked. the temps will be safe as long as you don't OC anything. Should you ever want to OC more or overvolt, you need to flash a custom bios found in Tech inferno forums.

The lid is metal, palm rest part is metal. The underside and side is plastic which is pretty damn durable. The air suction part on the underside is metal.

falcongamer

Broken In
Thanks. Sounds good.

The notebookcheck.net review of the dual GPU version states that the CPU throttles to 800 Mhz during high load because of the heat, and TurboBoost is not present when more than one core is being used. Are these things true for our Indian version too? Sounds pretty bad...

udit247

Journeyman
Thanks. Sounds good.

The notebookcheck.net review of the dual GPU version states that the CPU throttles to 800 Mhz during high load because of the heat, and TurboBoost is not present when more than one core is being used. Are these things true for our Indian version too? Sounds pretty bad...

No its not true, Turbo Boost is present even when all the cores are used, I have tested it myself but I can't tell what will happen when SLI is enabled since I am having single GPU configuration.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
No its not true, Turbo Boost is present even when all the cores are used, I have tested it myself but I can't tell what will happen when SLI is enabled since I am having single GPU configuration.

I guess you'll never be able to enable SLI, there's a rumor floating around that Lenovo deliberately underpowered the SLI PCI-e type slot to not allow SLI in models of Y510p which do not have SLI by default.

starbearer

Broken In
Since I got the DOA... I think the gud news is y50 coming this March ....bad news no India scheduled date...maybe in another 2 weeks after US release......

See below... (ignore spelling mistakes, I use my Note 3 for typing and got this very bad habit of typing ultra fast...courtesy Blackberry phones lol)

Customer Chat

Chat Transcript

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.

You have been connected to ^Kalayana Ranam.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Kalyan and my Rep ID is 2900713399. Happy to help you today.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Hey Nishant, how are you today?

Nishant:* Hello

^Kalayana Ranam:* How may I assist you on your purchase today?

Nishant:* I got 2 questions for you so wont take much time.

Nishant:* Im doing well, thabk you for asking

^Kalayana Ranam:* Sure.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Please go ahead.

Nishant:* **thank... (on a mobile)

Nishant:* Y50 is upgraded veraion of y510p

Nishant:* Version

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is expected to be released by the end of this month in US.

Nishant:* Have you got any date for its release or expected price range

Nishant:* For India?

^Kalayana Ranam:* Unfortunately, we do not have information on this.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Product's and Price details are Country specific.

^Kalayana Ranam:* We are Dedicated Sales support team on chat for US.

Nishant:* I just bought y510p and got DOA for it within 3days

^Kalayana Ranam:* For more information you can contact Lenovo 1-800-3000-9990 (Toll Free)

Nishant:* So if y50 is coming within 2 weeks ... I think I can wait for that, provided its India release

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes, I can not guarantee the release date in India.

Nishant:* Also, I need to ask you a favor, im sure you can assist me in that...is y510p closing down around y50 release?

^Kalayana Ranam:* No.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is not going to get disconnected.

Nishant:* You sure Bud?

^Kalayana Ranam:* Yes.

Nishant:* Coz its like 75000inr for y510p. ..lol

^Kalayana Ranam:* I understand.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It is one of the Top Sold product in Lenovo.

Nishant:* Pand I wouldnt like to buy a closed down machine...hope you understand...

^Kalayana Ranam:* I am sorry, I didn't get you.

Nishant:* You have no idea...lol...last year bought y500 went for Doa too...some good gentleman helped and advised to wait for y510p...so j have been unlucky twice

^Kalayana Ranam:* I understand now.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Not to worry.

^Kalayana Ranam:* Nishant, the current model is one of the best sold product.

Nishant:* So thatsy I want to be sure because its huge amount for a laptop and I think helping a fellow peer is what you can do best

Nishant:* So if its scheduled release in US for March end....any idea what price?

^Kalayana Ranam:* It can only be known once the product is released.

Nishant:* Gotcha

Nishant:* Ty for your time and help buddy

^Kalayana Ranam:* Glad to be of some help.

^Kalayana Ranam:* It's a pleasure working with you today. Please include my Rep ID 2900713399 while you place your order, it will be highly appreciated. It will help me track your order.

To ensure that we are always improving our service, you may receive a survey invitation at the end of the chat session to tell us what you think about our products and services. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. Have a Great Time.

^Kalayana Ranam:* You will get a feedback pop-up if you click on End chat. Please leave your valuable feedback to serve you better.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Input Area

Send

End chat

Images

Top Bottom