The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

ashwinsingh8

Right off the assembly line
Yes... They send it in separate courier packages.

Guys,
Anybody has any problem with playing games for prolonged period ?
When i play NFS Rivals (all settings maxxed out at native resolution) , after some 30 min, the game starts to lag.
Havent investigated deeply. Will check temps and fps and let you guys know. In the meanwhile just wnat to know anybody else has the same issue.

Apparently its because of throttling.

udit247

Journeyman
Yes... They send it in separate courier packages.

Guys,
Anybody has any problem with playing games for prolonged period ?
When i play NFS Rivals (all settings maxxed out at native resolution) , after some 30 min, the game starts to lag.
Havent investigated deeply. Will check temps and fps and let you guys know. In the meanwhile just wnat to know anybody else has the same issue.

I have played NFS Rivals at maxed out settings for little more than 1 hour and have not noticed any lag on AC mains. Temperature on my lappy and PS3 also remains normal and thats the another reason I love Winter.:-D:wink:

If anyone has bought 59390016 recently could you please confirm if it has got the elan touchpad or the synaptics? Also please mention where you bought it from.

You don't have to worry about touchpads anymore if you are using the latest drivers because Lenovo has already fixed their Elan touch pad hardware issues and more over most Y510P variants are coming with Synaptics.
I have brought mine from Digitus Electronics, Nehru Place, New Delhi

Wishing you all a very prosperous New Year...

knocknock

Broken In
I get that the touchpad is no longer a problem, just to be sure, but is there anyway that I can check which touchpad the laptop has before opening the box?

udit247

Journeyman
I get that the touchpad is no longer a problem, just to be sure, but is there anyway that I can check which touchpad the laptop has before opening the box?

No
If you find yours lappy has Elan touch pad and you find it problematic (which you wont) than you can get it replaced to Synaptics easily later on.

Apparently its because of throttling.

Any workaround for this ?

I have played NFS Rivals at maxed out settings for little more than 1 hour and have not noticed any lag on AC mains. Temperature on my lappy and PS3 also remains normal and thats the another reason I love Winter.:-D:wink:

I'm also using in AC mains. But not sure why...

Any good software that has onscreen monitoring like MSI afterburner so that i can montor temps and loads while gaming ?
MSI after burner is not working for me. It worked just once and stopped after that...

rider

as Kratos
How much I have to wait for the next generation laptop, a successor of GT 750M GPU with Maxwell architecture .

Last edited:

neo_natasha

Broken In
I bought this during the thanksgiving weekend here in the US.

IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59405668 - Dusk Black: Weekly Deal | Lenovo | (US)

I am slightly disappointed with few things

1. Keyboard (One of the keys popped out right after I openned up the laptop). The keys could have been even more sturdier as its marketed as a gaming laptop and we definitely dont want keys popping out. (I am waiting for one or more keys to pop up to send it for replacement)
2. Power management, In power saver mode the laptop goes so down that I cant even play music in itunes. I have to have it max power for it to do normal work. (which obviously drains the battery in 3 to 4 hours or so which is pretty okay).
3. Again power management - Plugged in = max performance which is understandable given the output of the battery and the components inside.
4. Color calibration in the monitor. It could still use more calibration. I compared it with a 2 year old 1366 macbook pro (non retina) screen. The calibration is stunning in that screen.
5. Touchpad - I guess this ones a standard complaint for all non mac users. Used a mac and tried out the same gestures here one word it sucks.

But I am really blown away by the performance. Mine has the 20GB SSD cache, once the warranty ends I will add a full fledged SSD boot.

And I ran the blizzard system check and it recognized the Intel HD graphics and simply ignored the nvidia 755 card. It works though.

Any workaround for this ?

I'm also using in AC mains. But not sure why...

Any good software that has onscreen monitoring like MSI afterburner so that i can montor temps and loads while gaming ?
MSI after burner is not working for me. It worked just once and stopped after that...

Got it. It was the problem with the laptop placement while playing.
I was using a flat table top while playing. Added a basic laptop cooler and now i dont face the issue.. !!! :doublethumb::doublethumb:

yashsharma

Re: New to forum...First Post, with some good news!

Hey guys, i heard on every forum that Y510p's don't come with M2 NGFF SSD slot.

I bought my new Y510p (Model: 59390016) yesterday and guess what, it DOES have a connector slot for SSD.

I guess new models are coming with connectors.

Check out the attachment for pics. Thanks.

Hey I am new to this forum and i want to know more about this laptop cuz I will be buying a new one soon.
Please tell me if I can add a samsung series 840 120 GB ssd without losing my stock 1 TB hdd.

knocknock

Broken In
Anyone who has 1 year onsite warranty and 1 year adp active on their y510p can you tell me what you see when you enter your serial number here: Lenovo Support - Check Warranty Status (IN)
A screenshot will be appreciated.

knocknock

Broken In
If anyone has got 1 yer onsite warranty and 1 year adp active on their y510p can you please tell me what you see when you enter your serial number here:
Lenovo Support - Check Warranty Status (IN)
A screenshot will be appreciated.

silverlight4

Broken In
Does anyone know for how much this thing sells in Nehru Place? Online Snapdeal is offering the best price. But I don't trust these online sites, I have read a lot of bad experiences of buyers on Flipkart, is it safe to buy such an expensive laptop from Snapdeal?

$hadow

Geek in making
Does anyone know for how much this thing sells in Nehru Place? Online Snapdeal is offering the best price. But I don't trust these online sites, I have read a lot of bad experiences of buyers on Flipkart, is it safe to buy such an expensive laptop from Snapdeal?
Snapdeal is not recommended for such purchases atleast for me. Better pay a bit more and get it locally and if online try to get it from Flipkart.

hybridic

Broken In
Does 720p gaming on 1080p looks very bad ?
Asking this because i know that single GT 750M might have trouble playing upcoming games @ 1080p at high settings so you might wanna switch to 720p.
I have no access to a 1080p display so putting this question up here . And BTW i am also looking to buy this laptop if the prices drop . .

silverlight4

Broken In
Read this in a review on Flipkart

There is a small correction, in Indian version lenovo is providing External Graphic - GeForce GT 755 M series, which basically Doesn't support Ultrabay graphic card ( Dual graphic card), can be checked out from Nvidia website. later on if You want to Upgrade Your Laptop with SSD without using Ultrabay then this also not possible because the laptop with series 59-390016 and below models sold in India don't have the bracket holders and ports to connect the SSD's

Is this correct, we can't install an SSD on this beast?

udit247

Journeyman
Does 720p gaming on 1080p looks very bad ?
Asking this because i know that single GT 750M might have trouble playing upcoming games @ 1080p at high settings so you might wanna switch to 720p.
I have no access to a 1080p display so putting this question up here . And BTW i am also looking to buy this laptop if the prices drop . .

Current games can be smoothly played at 1080p @ high to ultra settings on single GT755M but may be in future you have to lower down your settings or resolution to be able to play smoothly and 1080p definitely looks great on 1080p screen but 720p is no far behind. If you really pay attention to detail then only you will find out that 720p isn't as sharp as 1080p on 1080p screen.
If you are confused between HD and FHD screens than I would suggest go with FHD because you are not only playing games on your PC but watching videos, movies etc as well!

Read this in a review on Flipkart

Is this correct, we can't install an SSD on this beast?

This is bullshit!!
SSD is like a HDD with same dimensions and same SATA & Power ports so HDD can be easily upgraded to SSD. GT755M also supports SLI and GT755M Ultrabay for Y510P is already available in some countries!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Current games can be smoothly played at 1080p @ high to ultra settings on single GT755M but may be in future you have to lower down your settings or resolution to be able to play smoothly and 1080p definitely looks great on 1080p screen but 720p is no far behind. If you really pay attention to detail then only you will find out that 720p isn't as sharp as 1080p on 1080p screen.
If you are confused between HD and FHD screens than I would suggest go with FHD because you are not only playing games on your PC but watching videos, movies etc as well!

This is bullshit!!
SSD is like a HDD with same dimensions and same SATA & Power ports so HDD can be easily upgraded to SSD. GT755M also supports SLI and GT755M Ultrabay for Y510P is already available in some countries!

The gt755m can reach high at most and cannot render high end games like company of heroes 2, crysis 3 and ghosts in ultra.
I tried playing BF4 today in 768p in a fhd panel, the visuals looked pretty good to me.
The new Y510Ps have m.2 ngff(I think) SSD slots, just shown by an owner a few posts back.
Besides you can always remove the hdd and swap it for a 2.8" SSD.
The Ultrabay Gpu is currently only avaliable in Singapore. US models are coming with 755m SLI by default.
Now whether that GPU will work or not is not confirmed.
Some people successfully mix and matched gpus of the y series of lenovo, ie between. Y500 650m, y500 750m, y400 650m and y400 750m. They tried a gt750m Ultrabay Gpu in Y510P and found that Ultrabay feature was locked in Y510Ps which came with a single Gpu. Lenovo can probably fix this with a bios update if they decide to launch the second Gpu worldwide. Till then you can buy and pray and hope lenovo doesn't do what they did to me ( I bought the y500 to run in SLI mode which they never released in India.)

ashish12

Snapdeal is not recommended for such purchases atleast for me. Better pay a bit more and get it locally and if online try to get it from Flipkart.

Hi $hadow congratulations on your Y510p purchase! i also wanted to buy Y510p but before doing it i have some questions it will be very helpful if you could answer them

1)since i'm from amritsar i'll be buying it from a retailer near me and he said it will cost me around Rs. 72000.
now how's your experience with the laptop so far i mean any pros or cons.
2)A lot of people have been saying that the cpu throttles and does not go over 2.4 ghz when the gpu is under heavy load. is it true? did you face any performance issues till now while gaming?
3)lenovo recently announced their new lenovo Y50 at ces 2014 which will not include any ultrabay option instead it will come with 4 GB of gtx 860m graphics now is it a wise decision to wait as there is still no sign of gt 755m|GT 750m ultrabay coming to india..
4)can it run assassin's creed 4 and battlefield 4 and GTA 4 on high settings without any lag.
5)And last but not the least does it have a Full hd 1080p screen?

Please reply as soon as possible.. i'll be waiting!! :)

$hadow

Geek in making
^^You are most probably the last guy to congratulate on my purchase :-D but thanx for that
1. It is your choice to buy from anywhere you feel like to be. No problem as of now for me except battery life.
2. No problem is there as far as cpu is concerned
3. You could probably wait but pricing will be insane and along that availability is not known in India.
4. I am playing creed 4 on it on at 1080p not yet played bf4 but will be playing soon.
5. Yes it does have a fhd display.

Top Bottom