The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

jamiejako

Broken In
1. The touchpad sucks.
2. Keyboard used to start adding random characters and then stopped responding for a brief period.
3. Speakers sound works only when the laptop is positioned in certain way.
4. Some times it wouldn't boot unless I try to hard reset.

The first two issues were common with Lenovo Y500s manufactured before a certain date. I had them too, but they were fixed immediately under on-site warranty.
I've never heard of a speaker issue with the Y500, in fact, the speakers on this are probably the best on a mid-range laptop.
Maybe the issue is specific to your laptop?
The fourth one sounds like an operating system problem..try updating, cleaning your registry and scanning your drives for errors.
I recommend you immediately register a complaint and get it fixed under warranty.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^for the 3rd problem found this thread.
*forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Audio-problems-with-Lenovo-Y500/td-p/1211430

Aerrow

Journeyman
This product is designed badly.

1. The touchpad sucks.
2. Keyboard used to start adding random characters and then stopped responding for a brief period.

What a mess !

These issues are with old stock. The new stock has ironed out all of them.

1 & 2. Both are history with new stock. But yeah, was present with previous models.

3. Strange, never heard of it
4. Now I'm sure you have a faulty device. Replacement time.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hey,
I updated to 8.1 and now my two-finger tap to right click doesn't work anymore..I can two-finger 'click' for a right click but it doesn't work when I tap. I tried the drivers from lenovo support site and the synaptics site. What do I do to get it back? All the other gestures work fine.

edit:
never mind, found a solution :
In regedit, go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2" and keep the value of 2fingertap as 2.

I recently Updated to 8.1 and face the face the same issue as jamiejako, 2 finger tap doesnot work for right click. and i even tried the regedit to modify the value still i dont get it. anyone with same problem ?

This product is designed badly.

1. The touchpad sucks.

What a mess !

About the speakers issue.
First things first, its not a major technical problem, and sorry to hear that!
You just got VERY unlucky, its a nice machine.
Posting this from a Y500 which HAD the exact same issue.
Call Lenovo support and ask them to loosen the wires which power the speakers.
I had the same problem and the on-site engineer came and loosen the over-taught wires and since then its working fine.

1&2 exist on machines with elan touchpad - file a complaint and get it replaced
4 - It could be a software problem; this needs a bit of diagnosing

darthV

Right off the assembly line
Hello,everyone.
I bought a y500 4 months ago.Unfortunately,its graphics card started dying after 3 months.The lenovo guys said that they will have to replace the mobo,and the replacement part will have to be imported.Is lenovo's support for their products really this bad?I mean,it's been a month since the lenovo engineer first came to check my laptop....
/endrant

Anyway,the main reason why I created an account here is to ask if an ultrabay graphics card imported from USA will work without any problems with my laptop.

Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5 | Lenovo | (US)

Also,I am not sure if the AC adapter that came bundled with the laptop is 150W or 170W.
In case it is 150W,I will have to import an adapter too.

IdeaPad 170W AC Adapter (UL) | Lenovo | (US)

^^The operating voltage is 100-240V,so it will work fine,right?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
There's no problem with the adapter as i myself am using that for my Y500 imported from US... As for the ultrabay graphics card, i think you are gonna need to repair your primary one first before you can use it... :)

darthV

There's no problem with the adapter as i myself am using that for my Y500 imported from US... As for the ultrabay graphics card, i think you are gonna need to repair your primary one first before you can use it... :)

Well,I am not too worried about the laptop,since it's under warranty,so it will get fixed...May take some time though.

I won't order the parts until the mobo has been replaced,obviously.

Just wanted to make sure that the ultrabay 750m will run without a hitch on my laptop.

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Well,I am not too worried about the laptop,since it's under warranty,so it will get fixed...May take some time though.

Just wanted to make sure that the ultrabay 750m will run without a hitch on my laptop.

Though you would need something like this DigiFlip Voyager Worldwide Travel Adaptor/ USB Mobile Charger - Price in India, Reviews, Ratings & Specifications | Flipkart.com since their plug contacts are different... :)
It's available in the local market for just 50 rupees...
You can also buy this: Flipkart.com | Belkin 4 Socket Surge Protector - Surge Protector

prateekS

Pair Ultrabay 650 with ultrabay 650 ONLY !

Do not try to use 650 and 750 together.

jamiejako

Broken In
I recently Updated to 8.1 and face the face the same issue as jamiejako, 2 finger tap doesnot work for right click. and i even tried the regedit to modify the value still i dont get it. anyone with same problem ?

get the drivers from the synaptics site instead of lenovo :

Drivers | Synaptics

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hello,everyone.
I bought a y500 4 months ago.Unfortunately,its graphics card started dying after 3 months.The lenovo guys said that they will have to replace the mobo,and the replacement part will have to be imported.Is lenovo's support for their products really this bad?I mean,it's been a month since the lenovo engineer first came to check my laptop....
/endrant

Anyway,the main reason why I created an account here is to ask if an ultrabay graphics card imported from USA will work without any problems with my laptop.

Y 15'' Removable Graphics GT750M5 | Lenovo | (US)

Also,I am not sure if the AC adapter that came bundled with the laptop is 150W or 170W.
In case it is 150W,I will have to import an adapter too.

IdeaPad 170W AC Adapter (UL) | Lenovo | (US)

^^The operating voltage is 100-240V,so it will work fine,right?

If your current graphic card is GT 650m then the laptop will not even recognize the GT 750m as they are 2 different cards and they cannot run in SLI config.
Now suppose if after repairs you get a GT 750M(NOT GT 755M) , only then the laptop will recognize and run the second GT 750m

darthV

If your current graphic card is GT 650m then the laptop will not even recognize the GT 750m as they are 2 different cards and they cannot run in SLI config.
Now suppose if after repairs you get a GT 750M(NOT GT 755M) , only then the laptop will recognize and run the second GT 750m

My y500 has a 750m(and hopefully,the new mobo will have the same card too).
What I wish to know is-Will the 750m ultrabay card fit in my laptop?The ultrabays in us models and the ones sold here are same,right?

And,will there be any problems due to voltage?I don't want the card to catch fire when I turn on the laptop.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
What I wish to know is-Will the 750m ultrabay card fit in my laptop?The ultrabays in us models and the ones sold here are same,right?

And,will there be any problems due to voltage?I don't want the card to catch fire when I turn on the laptop.

Then there shouldn't be any problem. Go ahead and order it.
Does your y500 has 1366x768 screen?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

Don't worry, there won't be any problem due to voltage!!! It is simple Electrical Science...
Let me explain to you, step by step:
1. Mains voltage in India is 220 V, 50Hz. Mains voltage in USA is 120 V, 60 Hz.

2. Type of Plug/Socket in India are C,D,M.
A. Type C:
*i.imgur.com/rr96BKG.jpg
B. Type D:
*i.imgur.com/bmboCQ8.jpg
C. Type M:
*i.imgur.com/Fs1h0Cm.jpg
3. Type of Plug/Socket in USA are A, B.
A. Type A:
*i.imgur.com/qCuoEwB.jpg
B. Type B:
*i.imgur.com/jDTl9Ab.jpg

4. Now, the 170 W, 20 V AC Adpater that you are going to buy is a Switched-mode power supply (SMPS) unit.
From Wikipedia:
A linear circuit must be designed for a specific, narrow range of input voltages (e.g., 220–240V AC) and must use a transformer appropriate for the frequency (usually 50 or 60 Hz), but a switched-mode supply can work efficiently over a very wide range of voltages and frequencies; a single 100–240V AC unit will handle almost any mains supply in the world.

What this means in layman's terms is that it will work here... If you check the rated Input supply, it is written 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz which means that it will accept input in those ranges...

5. Also. the AC adapter has a socket of Type B, so you will have to buy an adaptor to use it here...
*i.imgur.com/NzDKDnV.jpg

Don't worry, nowadays, in the 21st century, most AC adapter, including the one you are going to buy are designed for variable voltage input. :-D

Attachments

• 150px-A_plug.jpg
    150px-A_plug.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 84

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The question is, is the 170W adapeter even required? Is not the laptop designed to run is SLI mode with the standard adapter you get in India? Besides when you buy the adapter from the US website, you only get one half of the adapter, the other half,i.e, the wire that connects the big burly thingy(adapter) to the plug is not in the same package. You can detach your current wire(plug one) to fit into that adapter but I don't think that will work in which case you also need to import that wire (idk from where). After that you need to buy the things mentioned in powerhoney's post.
TL;DR: I suggest you first import the card and then try to run it, first in battery mode and then slowly go ahead and try to plug in using your default adapter.
I also calculated that the adapter I got with my y500 is only 120W. T_T
There may also be a possibility that the adapter with more wattage only charges the batter faster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom