The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

The readings shown by the os are never correct and man u shouldn't compare a 5 year old pc with current gen.. even if the old one is not a gaming laptop. Average life of a laptop battery for me was always 1 to 1.5 years

Still my father's laptop gives 2hr battery life now

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
The battery at min brightness and wifi off movie powe saver mode crosses 4 hours 20 minutes for me using headphones

!! i'm tempted to buy ! bt i also want haswell :| desperate for Y510p to launch in india
The 510p has changed to 768p screen or an upgrade to 900p which I doubt will be in India if the 510p does make it here

Around 10... maybe 15 %.. AFAIK, 750m is an overclocked 650m. Need clarification on this.

The 750m is exactly a overclocked gimmick of a 650m. 3dmark around p2700. I overclocked my 650 to over p3200 and game on 1100 regularly without throttling though I find 1000mhz to be the sweet spot which is still higher than the max 750m boost. Point being both the chips are the same. You can choose to set it at whatever clocks you want and get the corresponding performance. The 750m has a max boost to 960 MHz as shown online… not to mention I read that the new 750m models are more prone to overheating due to higher clocks and poorer thermal paste

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod There you go.... I found mine too @tinfrno.
Can anyone try the bios mod and report it here lol I don't feel like experimenting :D although afaik it would enable an option between sli and Optimus

Aerrow

Journeyman
The battery at min brightness and wifi off movie powe saver mode crosses 4 hours 20 minutes for me using headphones

The 510p has changed to 768p screen or an upgrade to 900p which I doubt will be in India if the 510p does make it here

The 750m is exactly a overclocked gimmick of a 650m. 3dmark around p2700. I overclocked my 650 to over p3200 and game on 1100 regularly without throttling though I find 1000mhz to be the sweet spot which is still higher than the max 750m boost. Point being both the chips are the same. You can choose to set it at whatever clocks you want and get the corresponding performance. The 750m has a max boost to 960 MHz as shown online… not to mention I read that the new 750m models are more prone to overheating due to higher clocks and poorer thermal paste

Can anyone try the bios mod and report it here lol I don't feel like experimenting :D although afaik it would enable an option between sli and Optimus

Thanks for clarifying on the 750m....

Abt the bios, it still can't enable optimus. I've read through the thread. There is a hardware limitation according to the OP.

perspex

Broken In
so, from everything i read so far. The best model is the 1080p GT650m, right? I shall go on monday to buy the badboy then.

Aerrow

Journeyman
so, from everything i read so far. The best model is the 1080p GT650m, right? I shall go on monday to buy the badboy then.

Yup... unless u want to wait like a few... I would say... go get it....

Post here when u get one.. Congrats in advance.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman

Thanks for the info man!

Thanks for clarifying on the 750m....

Abt the bios, it still can't enable optimus. I've read through the thread. There is a hardware limitation according to the OP.

Go to the lenovo webpage/Y500/features

download the Y500 datasheet
towards the end of the pdf, its written that it supports optimus

optimus.JPG

its a different issue that no has been able to make it work yet =|

Aerrow

Journeyman
Thanks for the info man!

View attachment 11131

I'm not sure of this but the OP on that thread was pretty sure it can't be done.there were numerous posts asking for the feature.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Thanks for the info man!

View attachment 11131

It is indeed hardware issue.. Intel HD 4000 is not present and so optimus won't work. This has been confirmed by Admin on Lenovo official forum.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Oh i see its 65k. Whats the best one under 40k ?
Kindly create another thread asking this question this is not the place to ask laptop recommendations

It is indeed hardware issue.. Intel HD 4000 is not present and so optimus won't work. This has been confirmed by Admin on Lenovo official forum.
Can't be a hardware issue intel hd 4000 is like built inside the CPU unless Intel sells CPU without the intel hd 4000 which doesn't seem so considering the model number is specified with an availability of 4000. The hardware is definitely there we just need to find a way of detecting it. If only we could access the intel vbios

H2O

Journeyman
Lenovo have given so many apps. Deleting a lot of 'em which I don't need.

BTW, which drivers do I need to upgrade?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
(some of) My Windows 8 apps are not working. When I click them, They open for a second and then return to start screen.

Apps like powerdvd for ideapad, skype, jetpack joyride although some apps work fine..

Any Idea what might be the problem?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Kindly create another thread asking this question this is not the place to ask laptop recommendations

Can't be a hardware issue intel hd 4000 is like built inside the CPU unless Intel sells CPU without the intel hd 4000 which doesn't seem so considering the model number is specified with an availability of 4000. The hardware is definitely there we just need to find a way of detecting it. If only we could access the intel vbios

Yeah I know that...
But AFAIK Lenovo 'physicaly' disabled Intel hd 4000 in y500 because sli and optimus won't work together.

Aerrow

Journeyman

Hardware issue doesn't mean the igpu is not present... it is present but cannot be enabled or switched to... in the words of the OP, the motherboard architecture has to be complex to allow to enable optimus on the sli config... complex = expensive. And I think everyone knows about the cost cutting part of y500.. ahem... touchpad... ahem..

Top Bottom