THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE Graphic Card Industry !!!!

Ive been using my XFX HD 4670 1GB DDR3 on my old PC for almost 4 years. Since i have some spare cash left from Christmas, thought of replacing with a new one.
I payed Rs 4000 something something for it, so i plan to replace it with something in the same price bracket.

After checking Toms Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - 2014 GPU Comparisons i found that its Current Generation equivalents is R7 240 (not so new anymore).

So i checked online for its price. AND MA MA MIAAAA the price- Its Rs5200-6000 !!!!

Ok let it sink in....

....hufff...

...puff.....

A 4 YEAR OLD GRAPHIC CARD PERFORMS THE SAME AS A MODERN GRAPHIC CARD THAT COST 20% MORE !!!

So let me ask you all, IS there ANY NEW Advancement in graphic technology ?? Are Those oh so fancy OpenGL 4.3 & OpenCL 1.2 bullcr@p really all these Billion Doller GPU Companies could come up with? The graphics and technology within games are increasing in leaps and bounds and yet YOU GET THE SAME PERFORMANCE IN GPU AS YOU GOT 4 YEARS AGO ??? What kind of advancement is this!!!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
A HD 4670 does not perform same as a R7 240
Typically there is minor improvements in low end GPUs in consecutive iterations, but the gap of improvement increases significantly when you move from Mid end to High end products.. For example, the GTX 770 beats the previous gen top of the line GTX 680 ..
you need to know what is value for money before buying, just take a look at this linus video

The best bet for you is to save up for ATLEAST a R7 250X (or a HD 7770).. it is the absolute minimum for a "gaming pc" now..

Last edited:

vkl

Cyborg Agent
As already pointed out hd 4670 doesn't perform as well as r7 240.
4 years back 1$ was about ~45INR..now 1$ is about ~63.6INR

> Inflation.

> Suppose 4 years back a car gave 18 km per liter and now it gives 16 km per liter but with 70% lower CO2 emissions and costs 20% more. Got the point? Current GPU have excellent performance per Watt figures. It's not about absolute performance.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No they are not, the amount of progress between the two generations (GTX 6xx and GTX 7xx) is massive.. low end stuff will have lesser improvement as compared to high end ones
consider this a gtx 650 ti vs a gtx 750 ti , there is a consistent 10% improvement in all games, not to mention.. the gtx 750 ti doesnt use a 6 pin connector at all.. That right there, is very very impressive

joyceanblue

Broken In
you should be thankful that there is at least some competition in gpu market between nvidia and amd. check out cpu market where intel has no competition, as a result they decide when to release a new top end cpu for desktop and what price to release at. my 3930k was launched over 3 years ago and if i want a reasonable upgrade there is no option but a 5960x price at over 75,000.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
so is my Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R7 250 with Boost GDDR5 1GB not a good one? (IT PLAYS CRYSIS 2 IN ULTRA 1080P)
:shock: :evil: :cry: :hissyfit:

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
yeah. A ~6000 Rs. graphic card playing Crysis 2 @ 1080p is NOT 'a good one'.

A ~6000 Rs. graphic card playing Crysis 2 @ 1080p -------------------------positive
A ~6000 Rs. graphic card playing Crysis 2 @ 1080p is NOT 'a good one'. -----negative
you mean it is good or bad?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
A ~6000 Rs. graphic card playing Crysis 2 @ 1080p -------------------------positive
A ~6000 Rs. graphic card playing Crysis 2 @ 1080p is NOT 'a good one'. -----negative
you mean it is good or bad?
Learn about sarcasm. :mrgreen:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What about laptop GPUs

GT740M ???

GT 740M is just a bit above GTS 450, very very weak by today's standards... Right now, there isnt any single non SLI/CFX laptop GPU among Indian laptops that even passes Witcher 3 minimum system requirements..
Transition to next gen will be brutal !!

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
There aren't any more good GPUs found on Indian models now. This is what I could get max. in 50k. I handled FC4 thats what I needed. I m just waiting for GTA V.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
GT 740M is just a bit above GTS 450, very very weak by today's standards... Right now, there isnt any single non SLI/CFX laptop GPU among Indian laptops that even passes Witcher 3 minimum system requirements..
Transition to next gen will be brutal !!

MSI one with GTX 870m and Alienware 17 with GTX 880m are the exceptions. Also there are MSI 17 inchers.

Aorus will soon launch their SLI notebooks in India.

Alienware will probably launch the new 15 and 17 in 3-5 months.

Con:Everything above 1 L probably close to 2L.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Alienware is so grossly overpriced. Gaming in mid ranged laptops especially is a crap experience. Max settings in GT 740M is impossible without few crashes. Bearable with mid settings though but i would rather buy my own GPU and play on comp.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alienware is so grossly overpriced. Gaming in mid ranged laptops especially is a crap experience. Max settings in GT 740M is impossible without few crashes. Bearable with mid settings though but i would rather buy my own GPU and play on comp.
True. Gaming laptops are suitcases. PCs are better.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

GT 740m is not mid range. It is a low end GPU. You should play games @low in such a low powered GPU.

Mid range=GTX 860m-GTX 965m.

High end=GTX 880m,GTX 970m,GTX 980m.

Also the new Alienware series(especially the 15) is very competitively priced in the US. The price is more in India due to Mudi Sircar.

- - - Updated - - -

True. Gaming laptops are suitcases. PCs are better.

Look at Aorus X5. Thin as a notebook(like real one) and almost as powerful as any GTX 980 based PC.

Top Bottom