The Flagship Killer - Oneplus

aloodum

Journeyman
Apologies in advance if a duplicate thread exists:

Of late the phone market has been abuzz with talks of a giant killer- a powerful device at economical price, with enough grunt to floor the flagship models of current day. Finally the specs and pricing been revealed : A phone theoretically faster than the galaxy S5, but priced almost half- At 299$(ex tax) for a 16 Gig version and 50$ extra for 64 Gig version. Is it too good to be true? Well initials reports and test drives suggest it actually is. So should the is the Nexus 5 be scared? What about Note 3?

Here is the homepage :
*oneplus.net/

And here's a hands-on with the one :
*www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456853,00.asp

So what is the thinkdigit's junta's musings on the oneplus one? :)
composition-main.jpg

OP
aloodum

aloodum

Journeyman
Peter Lau is one interesting character. From ex vp of Oppo to the brain behind oneplus. Here's an old article from last year when oneplus was founded:
*www.theverge.com/2013/12/16/5217794/oppo-ex-vice-president-pete-lau-launches-oneplus

What is a good thinking point would be if suppose the Nexus 5 (16gig) were to drop to say 250$ bracket, would the oneplus one still be a viable alternative ?

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't think so it will be launching any time soon. Even the purchase is limited to invitation only. One can't simply buy it until he has invitation to buy it.

OP
aloodum

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ you would find similarities between the two....

Anyhow if any of you chums want to smash their new nexus 5 or say a iphone 5s to be eligible for a oneplus@ 1 $..here you go:

*oneplus.net/smash

The process :p is their language is as below :

Want the One? Follow this 3 step process:
1. Apply - Fill out the application form and send it in.
2. Stand Out - We'll choose 100 applicants to be our smashers.
3. Smash & Share - Share a video of your smash on YouTube and the OnePlus One will be yours!

Anyone?
:wink:

OP
aloodum

aloodum

Journeyman
If old phones were allowed to be smashed, I'll go for it l. Plenty of old dead phones lying in my house. :p

Unfortunately no....their target are flagships of their competitors :(
I had sooo sacrificed an old BB for the deed :p

What is good is of the 100 people that will be selected, each one of the folks will be able to invite 3 other folks to buy the oneplus.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't think those who just bought a new phone from that list will smash it to buy a phone from a new company. They should have included nexus 4 and lg optimus g in that list too as they have included Samsung galaxy s3.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^if you are in India, then no :p

Oneplus One isn't available for India :(

*www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/OnePlus-One-actually-kills-Nexus-5-with_20608.html

OP
aloodum

aloodum

Journeyman
I don't think those who just bought a new phone from that list will smash it to buy a phone from a new company. They should have included nexus 4 and lg optimus g in that list too as they have included Samsung galaxy s3.

Which reminds me that back in August 2013, Nexus 4 was available , albeit for a limited time, @ 199$ for the *Gb model and 249$ for the 16gig version. Google please pull off a stunt for the Nexus 5 as well :)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ still not worth destroying a new nexus 5 to buy another new phone (still not available in India :( )

read the ToS:

Terms and Conditions
Contest Entry Dates

Applications will be accepted from April 25th, 2014 to May 2nd, 2014.

General Conditions

Applicants may apply to break or damage their current phone. If selected and notified by the OnePlus team, the applicant will submit a video of themselves breaking their phone. If the video submission is deemed acceptable by the OnePlus team, based on the official guidelines, we will send the applicant a code to purchase the OnePlus One for $1.00, tax and extra charges not included.

Who May Enter

Applications are limited to persons above the age of 18 who are residents of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States. Applicants must have a valid email address and mailing address within one of the countries listed above. Applicants may only apply once.

Contest Entry

To enter, please submit the form found on the main contest site. All submissions must be received by May 2nd, 2014.

Successful Application Notification

Applicants accepted to participate in the smash campaign will be notified by email on May 6th. Then, and only then, will applicants be eligible to receive a OnePlus purchase code after sending in a video. Applicants who smash their phone and submit a video without explicit acknowledgement of acceptance into the campaign will not receive a purchase code for the OnePlus One. OnePlus is not liable for any damage or injury incurred to the smasher, surrounding persons or any equipment used during the shooting of each smash video.

If accepted, the applicant will have four days to submit a video to the OnePlus team. If their video is not submitted in the required timeframe, their application will expire and a replacement applicant will be chosen to take their place.

Video Submission Guidelines

All submitted videos must be shot in one frame with no cutting or editing. The applicant must show that their phone does turn on and use the phone that was chosen by the applicant in their initial application. The phone must suffer significant and visible damage to qualify for the OnePlus One purchase code. The applicant must show evidence of the damage in the video following the smash.

OnePlus reserves the right to disqualify any video submission for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. OnePlus is not liable for any damage done to phones that are damaged in disqualified videos.

Releases

By entering in this contest, applicants agree to OnePlus' use of their first name, country of residence, submitted video and/or application materials for both online and offline direct marketing purposes.

OP
aloodum

aloodum

Journeyman
Just one simple problem, who'll give support?

Currently, Support will be sketchy as its a new start-up and they don't have any wholesales or distributors in their current sales plan. For now , you simply have to trust them and submit a ticket on their website :)
Not a first of kind situation IMHO.
In-case, it actually clicks with the audience and the competition is too smug to react, they should step in to mass production and thene the essential after sales service. A a starter, I guess it will start in the 3 regional warehouse locations in US,East Asia and West Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

^ still not worth destroying a new nexus 5 to buy another new phone (still not available in India :( )

Exactly. Can you imagine the bragging rights this company will use ...."Folks are breaking iphone 5S for an oneplus one" :p
For its initial list of 100 users, i can see either very rich folks or ardent supporters of the underdog . I would rather be in the invitee list :)

Top Bottom