The entry-level DSLR battle

aadi007

Journeyman
Hi Guyz,

This is mainly for a friend but I am interested myself as well.

His main requirements are -
Fast accurate autofocus in various lighting conditions
Good low-light/High ISO performance
Fast operation - shot-to-shot times should be as low as possible
Good auto mode - JPEGs out of the camera should be good without post processing
HDR, panorama features good to have.
Might purchase a zoom lens in the future, do not plan to buy a whole array of lenses :) I hope buying lenses for Sony DSLR cameras should not be a problem
Video is not so important

Budget:30K approx.
Choices:
D5100
D3100
D3200
Canon 1100D
Sony ALT-A37

I do not have much idea about DSLRs, my only practical experience is with my friend's Canon 1100D and Canon 550D to some extent.
Reading the reviews, it seems the Sonly SLT-A37 is a great camera and at 27K (homeshop18), I am thinking of suggesting the same to my friend.
But before that, I wanted to check out with the experts here..

Thanks and cheers,
Aadi

amjath

Human Spambot
Canon 1100D ll fulfill ur needs at ur budget with good features
Check out the review
Canon EOS 1100D Review - watch CNET's video review - Digital SLR Cameras

I dont think it has a panaroma mode

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro whats ur actual budget...canon 1100D is a poor choice...a nikon D3100 is better at 25k

but I would say ur all requirements will be fulfilled with nikon D5100 and it cost around 29k

Sony is good but nobody seems to get any soo I didnt get any feedbacks...soo will not suggest...but u can get one and give me feedback then maybe i would suggest others too :)

fast focussing is an attribute of lens and camera both....actually more of lens...

low light performance for a camera is good ISO performance but for a lens its aperture...bigger aperture like f4,f2.8 f1.8 are better in low light

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Sujoy - thanks bro..
Where is D5100 available for 29k? Please enlighten :)

I was thinking of suggesting the Sony A37 as it has very good burst speed and more focus points. Price is also a bit less than D5100.
The reviews of A37 is very positive, only problem is the low res screen.
Budget, as I told is 30K..may be stretched by 1K at the max.
Also sony has in-body IS, so can be used with any lens and you get lot of gimmicky features ;-)

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sony vs Nikon, VF is the deal breaker here...

If he is a newbie, he don't mind EVF of Sony's. Most likely he would opt for A37. But ask your friend to try a DSLR for a day or two before checking those two cameras in a camera shop.

BTB, 29k is from ebay...

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes everything seems to be good in sony just that u need a uncle or bhaia in US to keep supplying u with flash,extension tube, and lenses :)

I have definitely seen a D5100+kit for 29k very recently...right now i can see that its 33k again ...just keep searching and check local market too

sony A37 have good report actually...i wont say no to sony...u get it and give a user review to us :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
just that u need a uncle or bhaia in US to keep supplying u with flash,extension tube, and lenses
i wont say no to sony...u get it and give a user review to us :)

:lol:

It's still there in ebay... 29.5k

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
yes everything seems to be good in sony just that u need a uncle or bhaia in US to keep supplying u with flash,extension tube, and lenses :)

I have definitely seen a D5100+kit for 29k very recently...right now i can see that its 33k again ...just keep searching and check local market too

sony A37 have good report actually...i wont say no to sony...u get it and give a user review to us :)

so, accessories of sony not available here????
I see that tamron and sigma also manufacture lenses for Sony SLR...available in zoomin.

plz reply..seriously :D

mastervk

In the zone
canon 550D + 18-55 mm kit lens + 50 mm 1.8

Fast accurate autofocus in various lighting conditions : depends more on lens i think
Good low-light/High ISO performance : will need expensive lens or prime lens or high end DSLR for high ISO performance
Fast operation - shot-to-shot times should be as low as possible : Why require this function...will require canon 7 D :p
Good auto mode - JPEGs out of the camera should be good without post processing : why buy expensive DSLR if you want auto mode only and that also jpeg...
HDR, panorama features good to have. : dont think low end DSLR have default hdr and panorama ..

digit.sh

Journeyman
Bro whats ur actual budget...canon 1100D is a poor choice...a nikon D3100 is better at 25k

but I would say ur all requirements will be fulfilled with nikon D5100 and it cost around 29k

Sony is good but nobody seems to get any soo I didnt get any feedbacks...soo will not suggest...but u can get one and give me feedback then maybe i would suggest others too :)

fast focussing is an attribute of lens and camera both....actually more of lens...

low light performance for a camera is good ISO performance but for a lens its aperture...bigger aperture like f4,f2.8 f1.8 are better in low light

Why is Canon 1100D a poor choice? Would you please elaborate? I am also planning to buy a DSLR, not now, maybe a few months later. :)

mastervk

In the zone
Because canon 1100D is very basic DSLR..but it does not mean that you should not buy it...But if budget is around 30 K there are better options..

if budget is around 20K and you want DSLR then canon 1100d will be a good choice..

at the end better lens is more important than camera body..and better skills are more important than both...

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
canon 550D + 18-55 mm kit lens + 50 mm 1.8

Fast accurate autofocus in various lighting conditions : depends more on lens i think
Good low-light/High ISO performance : will need expensive lens or prime lens or high end DSLR for high ISO performance
Fast operation - shot-to-shot times should be as low as possible : Why require this function...will require canon 7 D :p
Good auto mode - JPEGs out of the camera should be good without post processing : why buy expensive DSLR if you want auto mode only and that also jpeg...
HDR, panorama features good to have. : dont think low end DSLR have default hdr and panorama ..

Everything is relative ...didnt u read the budget is 30K?

Did u want to help really? I do not find a suggestion or recommendation which is useful..

So if someone buys a DSLR, he can't expect good pics straight out of the camera..what is the logic here? Just because someone has a DSLR, is he supposed to shoot everything in RAW and then spend hours editing those phots?

Why can't shot-to-shot time be important for someone?

Anyways, I have posted the requirements.
If you feel like sugesting something which can be helpful, please do so.
But what you are implying that the requirements are itself not valid.... whenever we buy a gadget, we look for the best buys within a budget considering our requirements.
When I say good low-light performance, it means good low light performance in the budget range of 30K..is that too difficult to understand?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
so, accessories of sony not available here????
I see that tamron and sigma also manufacture lenses for Sony SLR...available in zoomin.

plz reply..seriously

yes third party lenses and accesories are available....but may not be available locally...u can get everything online although.

u can also get sony lenses from flipkart.....sony originals are costly in India...but if u dont wanna get too many lenses then its fine:)

As mastervk already suggested advantages of 550D .... its also good option.

Why is Canon 1100D a poor choice? Would you please elaborate? I am also planning to buy a DSLR, not now, maybe a few months later.

canon 1100D have poor ISO performance....1100D is not much popular....in that segment Nikon D3100 is much popular(I have that)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Aadi, No offense meant buddy... He just means that a compact camera would be good enough if he just wants jpeg and gonna use Auto mode. And don't need to spend 30 grand for a DSLR

I don't think there is 550D with 18-55kit lens available in the market. Now it comes with 18-135... 600D with 18-55 may come close around 32k

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
Aadi, No offense meant buddy... He just means that a compact camera would be good enough if he just wants jpeg and gonna use Auto mode. And don't need to spend 30 grand for a DSLR

I don't think there is 550D with 18-55kit lens available in the market. Now it comes with 18-135... 600D with 18-55 may come close around 32k

Nac, thanks buddy.
When did I say that the user wants to use auto mode only?
I meant the pics should not require much post processing to look good which means a good JPEG conversion in-camera.
That does not mean that the user won't play around with PASM controls.

There is a lot to learn other than post-processing. I have seen many DSLR users (serious ones, not the neighbourhood aunty who buys a DSLR to show off ;) ) who shoots JPEG mainly and do not do much post processing...
There are many advantages of a DSLR without shooting RAW as well.

I have used a lot of P&S cameras and very limited experience with DSLRs.
But even with that experience, I can safely say that the image quality, speed, low-light performance,shallow DOF of a DSLR can't be matched with any P&S.
And obviously, you have the option to go for different lenses.

I think I saw a Canon 550D somewhere with kit lens for around 31-32K.
is it a better choice than a D5100?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I meant the pics should not require much post processing to look good which means a good JPEG conversion in-camera.
That does not mean that the user won't play around with PASM controls.

And obviously, you have the option to go for different lenses.
Fine then...
I think I saw a Canon 550D somewhere with kit lens for around 31-32K.
is it a better choice than a D5100?

If there is stock, fine. But I don't see any lately...
It's too tough for me to pick one 550D or D5100. More or less both are equally good.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Are u talking about RAW or general post processing with JPEG ..

I dont like to shoot in RAW...its just too time consuming ...and for normal users u dont gain much....maybe a bit more details :)

and about 550D vs D5100 ...D5100 have better ISO and canon 50mm 1.8 is cheaper by 5k....now u decide :p

OP
A

aadi007

Journeyman
LOL...U guyz are good at confusing people :)
The Sony lenses available online do not seem to be costlier than Canon/Nikon..am I right?
i was talking about shooting in RAW mainly.

I guess I will pass on the buck to my friend :) - anything between D5100, 550D and Sony A37 is good in my opinion.
Personally, I might have gone for Sony for better burst speed and more features

Top Bottom