Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Browsing this forum since last 2-3 years and I think that we don't have any BSD related thread.. so its time to start it now..

I installed PC-BSD 7 today and i must say that it is a wonderful operating system. All you Linux geeks will feel at home using it.. although its different..

I installed it on the following hardware :-

AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz
2 GB RAM
250 GB WD SATA II HDD
Jetway Mobo with AMD 690G chipset
GeForce 8800 GT
ViewSonic 19" LCD @ 1440x900 res.

Installation:-

Well the installation went pretty smooth. You just need to answer few questions. It needs a primary partition to install. However it can access logical volumes later. A swap partition on a logical volume can be used. The installation completed in about 10 mins (pretty fast).If you're familier with installing Linux then you'll have no problem. The entire installation is graphical based. After the installation it rebooted and asked for my graphics card. I selected Nvidia and it automatically loaded its drivers and detected the correct resolution of the monitor. Sleek. Its bootloader is a bit dated but it correctly detected my existing Vista partition. So all you dual booters can rejoice too.

The Desktop:-

The default desktop is KDE 4.1.1 which is beautiful. Although I reverted to GNOME when i found that KDE 4 wasn't stable enough. But here it is quite stable. Haven't used KDE in months though. All the familier apps are present in it.

Connecting to Internet :-

Connecting to internet is a bit tricky. You need to know the address of your DNS servers which is required by the Network Manager in PC-BSD. Your current DSL username and password will work.

Installation of Softwares :-

The PC-BSD softwares comes in the form of .pbi which stands for PC-BSD installer. This is simple click-n-run format. So there is no problem installing to softwares. You can get the familier softwares from www.pbidir.com.

So guys use it and please post your experience as well.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I have used PC-BSD Edison Edition and liked as well as hated it. I guess it was a mistake choosing the AMD64 version.
There is also DesktopBSD which I haven't tried but few consider it better...
For learning however "pure" FreeBSD is the BEST...

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@T159.. thanx for the correction..
@Dark Star.. yeah.. i did that too about 2 years back.. now yesterday I gained some courage and installed it again.. This time it went smoothly.. its cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom