The Archlinux thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
My UPS(APC 500VA :( ) battery finished 3 days back.but that happened when I was on archlinux and suddenly a powercut and no backup from ups :cry: the ext3 fs is fcuked up by the sudden switch off :-|

So,I fscked from Debian,and it deletes a lot of "inodes" :rolleyes: and next I booted into archlinux,many apps are not working,sometimes hanging.

I googled archlinux thread and found how to reinstall packages :)
as root:
Code:
pacman -S $(pacman -Qq | grep -v "$(pacman -Qmq)")
^used this as I have few "local" packages.
and everything is reinstalled.
I restarted archlinux via "shutdown -rF now" command.
F -for force fsck.
this time also fsck reported error and rebooted;weird :? and next boot also fsck run automatically and verified File System.

Now,everything seems running fine and I am confident that because of I have reinstalled all packages.
Note:If u have no "custom" packages installed,u can run below command to reinstall:
Code:
pacman -S $(pacman -Qq)
^will do!
Hope it helps! :)

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
and i compiled a custom kernel and a few minor tweaks and what i finally have is full boot from grub to kdemod desktop with compiz enabled in 18sec.
cooooooool.

my system:
c2d,1gb,945.

praka123

left this forum longback
BIGGEST shock for me! :D
today I went to archlinux forum and saw that whole forum is shown in Dutch :oops: biggest april fool
see! the message:
Ankündigung

Important Notice for English Archers

Over the past two months, great discussion has passed on the private development list, and we have come to the conclusion that keeping Arch as a primarily English distro is a disservice to our largest user-base. As such, we have decided in majority vote to change the official, primary language of Arch Linux to German.

Please bear with us during this transition - we are working closely with archlinux.de to facilitate the switch, at which point we plan to merge the websites. Knowing the great community behind Arch, we are sure a community project will arise quickly to fill the small void left when we completely discontinue the English site.

Also, please note we're now using the German pronunciation for "Arch".
Don't worry, you'll get used to it - 90% of our devs already are!
*bbs.archlinux.org/img/60px-Nuvola_German_flag.svg.png

Last edited:

Renny

Padawan
Downloaded the ISO,

So after installing what all should I download to get a fully running desktop?

And preferably I'd like to download and install it bcos if I install from arch I might be formatting and will loose everything downloaded.

praka123

left this forum longback
edit /etc/rc.conf to add ur eth0,lo. edit etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist as below .
archlinux wiki pretty much explains all(Remember ARCH is not n00b friendly!u have to edit using nano editor in CLI ie, "nano -w /path/to/whatever.file)

For your benefit,I have uploaded my /etc/pacman.conf for kdemod(use it if u like kde!super fast!)
here:
*pastebin.ca/969183
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist:
*pastebin.ca/969193

/etc/rc.conf (mine edit as needed):
*pastebin.ca/969190

Now am posting from system rescue cd loaded to memory!smooth :D and minimal(JWM).

always refer arch wiki,they have explained everything there:
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page

If you use broadband and like to update and install packages from Internet look here(bridge mode):
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPPoE_Setup_with_pppd

installing kdemod(kde -crap/bloats) :
Code:
pacman -Syu && pacman -Sy kdemod-lite
install other packages as needed.first familiarize with pacman.
its better in many aspect than apt+dpkg.

kdemod:
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDEmod
after familiarizing with archlinux,use AUR(Arch User Repository) for custom user made packages. :) Best of Luck!

Renny

Padawan
@praka,

thnx for the effort buddy,

I've not yet installed Arch,

I'd first like to download the required packages from Windows and burn them to a CD\DVD and then install it from the CD\DVD from Arch.

praka123

left this forum longback
^well,be prepared!read arch wiki :) I had installed archlinux with a ftp iso (30MB) provided you have a good internet connection.do ur wiring during NU :)

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
also should I disable IPV6?what Other reasons for slow down?esp the APplications menu in GNome when pressed takes 4-5 sec to open at the first chance sad

^^^thats what u posted on arch forums @praka123

strangely i too have been experiancing the same on my arch install for the past 3 days.do tell me if you find any solution.

praka123

left this forum longback
^@abhinandh:actually I posted it in general ;) I am experiencing this slow down on Ubuntu! haha! :D

archlinux is as always very fast with kdemod :)
if something is slowing down,it will be some network thingy,I think.
for eg:check /etc/hosts entries etc.

Installed gentoo today.it was broken due to their new release coming(2008.0),I have to manually symlink /etc/make.profile to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0
:(
also,I had used systemrescue cd for installation :)
@abhinandh:why dont you post the slowdown on that thread itself?

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
^@abhinandh:actually I posted it in general ;) I am experiencing this slow down on Ubuntu! haha! :D

archlinux is as always very fast with kdemod :)
if something is slowing down,it will be some network thingy,I think.
for eg:check /etc/hosts entries etc.

Installed gentoo today.it was broken due to their new release coming(2008.0),I have to manually symlink /etc/make.profile to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0
:(
also,I had used systemrescue cd for installation :)
@abhinandh:why dont you post the slowdown on that thread itself?

a little tweaks here and there and disabling ipv6 did the trick.

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
like this

Adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf will disable the automatic loading of ipv6, while also allowing you to load it manually, if needed.
# disable autoload of ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off

praka123

left this forum longback
^install flashplugin?
err..I mean with pacman -dU flashplugin.
libflashsupport-always get from git.(I may upload those files if u want :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom