The 8 secrets that make Apple No. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The 8 secrets that make Apple No. 1
How to succeed in consumer electronics (without really trying)

Mike Elgan

September 13, 2007
(Computerworld) -- Last week I wrote about how Apple's growing success will trigger accusations that it is a monopolistic, copycat bully and why the company should be defended against such complaints. This week, I'll discuss the secrets of Apple's growing success and call on PC makers and consumer electronics companies to steal those secrets so they can start making better products.

Apple isn't the biggest consumer electronics company, nor the most profitable. So what do I mean when I say it's the No. 1 consumer electronics company?

Basically, you can divide consumer electronics companies into two groups: Apple, and everyone else. Apple really is that different. Its influence on global design is many orders of magnitude higher than its nearest competitors. It engenders customer loyalty significantly greater than that earned by any other company in the consumer electronics space. The Apple brand and awareness of its products in the general culture far exceed what you might expect, given the company's actual sales.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is famous for a crazy video in which he yells, "I...love...this...company." With Apple, it's the customers who shout that.

It's no accident, and it's not a passing phenomenon. Apple knows something that other companies don't. Here are the eight secrets that make Apple the best company in the industry.

Secret 1: Engineering supports design -- no exceptions

Most companies bring designers in late in the product development process to create an experience "wrapper" around all the features and technologies the engineers and marketing people created.

At Apple, designers rule. Apple's brilliant designers figure out in detail how the product will look, feel and work, and then the engineers are tasked to make it happen.

Years ago, Jeff Hawkins changed the world by creating the Palm Pilot. He designed it by walking around with a Palm Pilot-size block of wood, pretending to use the device. He took notes about what he wanted to do with the device and how he wanted to use it. He refused to be influenced by existing organizers.

By the time he gave the engineers their marching orders, the Palm Pilot was conceptually complete. He got massive push-back on it from his engineering team -- "If we add six more buttons, we can make it faster..." -- but the original conception prevailed, and an awesome product was born. Read more...

[Via Computerworld]

IMHO, it is a truly interesting read. :)

dd_wingrider

In the zone
very nice read and secret 8 specially:-D
some secret 8 snippet
If you monitor (or participate in) the ongoing religious wars between Apple fans and Apple critics, you'll notice a curious phenomenon: Apple fans are the most rabidly active, fiercely loyal group in the industry.
but here both sides are equally active i must say:)

goobimama

 Macboy
Compare the four Mac users against the rest of the active members on this forum and you find that statement is just about right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom