TFT Screen Choice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

theraven

Technomancer
yeah but it'll be hard to get as a single piece !
anyways
i didnt say gamin SUCKS on LCD's
infact its quite pleasurable,
ghosting effects are almost nullified with low RT's
the rest of the features arent exactly defects as its a "chance of defect"
as for the blacks looking grey .. ok those must be the low quality LCD's cuz the LCD's ive worked on are very clear and very faithful in color reproduction ! so if it looks grey .. it probably was grey
since LCD's are capapble of dispaly of more colors than a CRT

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Thankx raven..

thats cools me off.. ive played games in RWW many places.. and found it nice on a TFT.. should get mine in 24-48 hrs..

theraven - "Black looks grey" problem can be reduced to a large extent by NOT sitting in a dark room.

Or, try my tested method (100% satisfaction gauranteed :wink: ) - assuming you have a light colored wall behind your LCD and desk, and you have decided to sit in a darkened room, point a tablelamp towards the wall and switch it on. This should do the trick. Also, this arrangement is recommended to prevent eye strain.

Keith

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
The black looks grey problem is due to the fact that the LCD uses Tn panel and is capable of display only 262k colors while the rest of the them are dithered. This is the shortcoming with most TN panel displays. 713n is a TN panel so its capable of displaying only 6bit colors.

24bit = 8 bit = 16.7 million colours
18bit with dithering = 6 bit = 16.2 million colours
true 18bit = 6 bit = 262,144 colours

Anyways LCDs are good for reducing the strain on the eyes and the colors shudn't bother you if you arent looking for accurate color reproduction which is mostly needed in games. :)

blade_runner said:
The black looks grey problem is due to the fact that the LCD uses Tn panel and is capable of display only 262k colors while the rest of the them are dithered.

I believe it occurs due to the fact that the backlight on a LCD is always on, and bit of it bleeds through. Whereas in a CRT, black is represented by doing nothing, i.e. the phophors don't light up at all. Hence black looks black.

Low color depth doesn't have anything to do with "blacks looking grey". Didn't our 8k color monitors of the DOS era display perfect blacks?

Here's a better explanation from Techreport -

Contrast ratio - While brightness is definitely a strong suit for LCD monitors, their contrast ratios could use a little help. Since an LCD's backlight is always on (at least when the monitor itself is turned on), the display's liquid crystals must completely block light from the backlight in order to produce a true black. Unfortunately, few LCD monitors are up for the task, and many struggle to produce darker shades of other colors, as well.

From - *techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/lcds/index.x?pg=1

Keith

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Keith Sebastian said:
blade_runner said:
The black looks grey problem is due to the fact that the LCD uses Tn panel and is capable of display only 262k colors while the rest of the them are dithered.

I believe it occurs due to the fact that the backlight on a LCD is always on, and bit of it bleeds through. Whereas in a CRT, black is represented by doing nothing, i.e. the phophors don't light up at all. Hence black looks black.

Low color depth doesn't have anything to do with "blacks looking grey". Didn't our 8k color monitors of the DOS era display perfect blacks?

Keith
Well in the DOS era not many colors were used were they now :D. Dithering is the process where
Dithering is the attempt by a computer program to approximate a color from a mixture of other colors when the required color is not available. For example, dithering occurs when a color is specified for a Web page that a browser on a particular operating system can't support. The browser will then attempt to replace the requested color with an approximation composed of two or more other colors it can produce.
CRTs never have this problem so you wont see it on them. So when a different shade of black has to be displayed and since the lcd cant produce the exact shade native it dithers :D resulting in the so called "black looking grey".

geekysage

Journeyman
blade_runner and keith both have a point.

@keith: yep, i generally switch off lights in my room while watching alias/lost/movies, prolly that's why the black-to-gray transition looks more evident. I do know the work around you mentioned, but man, you can't really get involved and get the cinema theater experience when you have some other light bothering you in the background.

@theraven: sorry man, i have to differ from you here. blacks-looking-grey is not because of the quality of an LCD but rather coz of the way LCDs display image. It's a common problem with any LCD, google it and you'll know what i am talking about. Ofcourse, in my case the problem gets more evident coz i switch off lights while watching any video. As for the quality of LCDs i have used, dude, search around - dell 2005/2405fpw displays are the the current kings in every aspect. I also work ( watch movies :p ) on my friend's iMac, which has the 20" widescreen, also supposed to be the best in display quality. BTW, dell 2005fpw and apple 20" LCDs both use the same LG.Phillips panel and i really don't notice much difference apart from the looks. Although, i do notice a significant difference when i work on my Toshiba lappy with 15.4" HDTV quality screen, but then that screen alone costs ~$700, disqualifying it from the comparison game.

theraven

Technomancer
yup but read keith's first quote

... a few LCD's are upto the task ..
some LCD's are good enough to block all light
hence the problem isnt in ALL LCD's
it may ovvur over a period of time, due to a defect or cuz of the quality of the LCD

tho ofcourse i agree with keith and blades reasons more than my own after readin them :p

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Ok Guys i got the Samsung 713N 17" TFT Screen.. damn kool looks

Here is my comp

*img463.imageshack.us/img463/3637/picture0022if.th.jpg

Here is the screen

*img463.imageshack.us/img463/3293/picture0039xb.th.jpg

Although a small red dot it there at the end of the screen while i switch it on or something is loading.. when window comes on or playing games... i cannot see it.. is it a defect or is it normal for a TFT???

*img463.imageshack.us/img463/4886/picture0045th.th.jpg

All games are running smooth.. my desktop has a lot of space now..and i dont see ne ghosts ;)

theraven

Technomancer
jesus H. christ !!
1600*1200 res !!! couldnt u just resize :|
anyways lookc kick ass
and if u have a red dot there then get it replaced
i dunno what the reason is since u say u cannot see it after windows loads !
normall that could be a dead pixel !

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
congratulations on ur purchase...

on a side note, 2 hathway connections?

i see 2 motorola sb5101 cable modems there :p

khandu said:
Ok Guys i got the Samsung 713N 17" TFT Screen.. damn kool looks

Looking good. I'm expecting a full review from you soon. BTW, you need a new desk to do justice to your screen. :lol:

The little red dot would have irritated the hell out of me. Go back and complain. Ask for a replacement. This time test it before you get it home.

Keith

geekysage

Journeyman
theraven said:
the rest of the features arent exactly defects as its a "chance of defect"
khandu said:
Although a small red dot it there at the end of the screen while i switch it on or something is loading.. when window comes on or playing games... i cannot see it.. is it a defect or is it normal for a TFT???

chance, huh? ....peace :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom