TFT Screen Choice..

Status
Not open for further replies.

khandu

In the zone
I am plannin to upgrade to 17" TFT

Now my old CRT 17" LG Studioworks 700S , the person is taking for Rs. 3000 .. Is this a good buy back price???

I have two choices

1) LG L1720B : Rs. 14900
2) Samsung 713N : Rs. 15700

Which is better?? is the pricing right ?? should i go for any other model?? which one??

please answer queries asap.. it is a 1 time buy remember..

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
LG L1720B has 16 ms response time i guess... where as Samsung 713N has 8 ms. Also Samsung LCDs are just brilliant.. i own 710N which is same as 713N except that it has 12 ms RT.

I'd recommend going in for Samsung 713n

theraven

Technomancer
also the contrast ratio and brightness of the samsung 713n is better than that of the LG
samsung is ur clear choice

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Ok.. cool..

any 3rd opinion?? is it good price i m getting? im not much of an expert in monitor field..

Major-Minor

Broken In
Viewsonic VA712b - 8ms

VA712b
Rs. 14,750 from Roop Technology.

OR

Viewsonic VX724 - 4ms

VX724

Rs. 19,500 from Roop Technology.

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
Hey i have got caught in 1 question

should i go for a TFT?? do i need it? can some1 point out advantage and disadvantage of a TFT screen??

if u had a choice between a 17" CRT and TFT what would u take ?? y??

my comp is on nearly 24 hrs.. and i do some gaming and lot of surfing everday..

please suggest asap

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:lol:

Just a few simple questions ....

:?: :?:
are u the one who is going to pay the electricity bills ????

if the answer is yes to the above one... go for TFT

:?: :?:
How does ur comp. table looks like .. ?? overcrowded nd messy ((like mine)).... ??

if u say yes to the above one..then again TFT is ur choice...

Last question ....
In frustrating times...do u intend to give a tight slap to monitor...just to vent out ur anger....?????
if the answer is yes again...DON'T go for TFT .... !!! :lol: :lol:

oooh by the way...iam abt to do the same upgrade...but will have to wait now...have exhausted 2400bucks for Microsoft wireless KB/Mouse ... :(

Sankalp

Journeyman
Well few months back I too bought a TFT. Did a lot of reserch work. Compared the monitors side by side and finally decided to go for Samsung. It is undoubtedly the best in the market and comes witha a 3 yrs warrenty. U wont lose nething even u have to pay a bit more for it. But as far as i know the Samsung monitor was priced Rs 100 less from where I bought.

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
grinning_devil said:
:lol:

Last question ....
In frustrating times...do u intend to give a tight slap to monitor...just to vent out ur anger....?????
if the answer is yes again...DON'T go for TFT .... !!! :lol: :lol:
:(

y so?? very delicate?? i dont slap.. but just incase some passerby hits it then???

theraven

Technomancer
cuz CRT monitors offer very clear and crisp displays even tho lcd is gettin there
also CRT monitors dont have ANY amount of ghosting
or dead pixel problems
and also have a larger viewing area !!

afaik ... only samsung LCD range is worth it... the ones from viewsonic have certain specs which arent even as good as samsung
and other companies which cant even match the Response time of either of these 2

if u decide to go by the digit and C**P reviews then forget it ... they are the worst
i saw a 30ms RT monitor get best buy silver
thats just laughable !
plz do urself a favour and get a samsung 713n with 8ms RT u wont regret it

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
theraven said:
cuz CRT monitors offer very clear and crisp displays even tho lcd is gettin there
or dead pixel problems

afaik ... only samsung LCD range is worth it... the ones from viewsonic have certain specs which arent even as good as samsung
and other companies which cant even match the Response time of either of these 2

if u decide to go by the digit and C**P reviews then forget it ... they are the worst
thats just laughable !

agree with him..

when i wanted to buy my lcd.. we researched a lot.. viewsonic has pretty solid models in the US but their models in India are not so good...

so better stick with samsung...

OP
K

khandu

In the zone
theraven said:
or dead pixel problems

thats just laughable !

u make it sound as if TFT is just not worth it.. CRT is much better..

but lemme see.. i wil waste my money.. nothin to upgrade in my PC

theraven

Technomancer
lol .. no but those are the obvious advantages of crt's over LCD monitors !!!
its just the technology diff
LCD is prone to dead pixels .. doesnt mean its GOING TO have dead pixels
Response Time is a factor in LCD's which can be responsible for ghosting. ubt anything 16ms and below shouldnt cause it .. ur gettin one with an 8ms which is very good ( very good cuz viewsonic did come up with a 3ms monitor recently)
yet why samsunbg u ask ? again like i mentioned the other specs matter quite a bit !

advantages of LCD's ... they DO have crisper display .. but its kinda hard to explain what im talkin abt .. you'll see the diff im talkin abt once u work on an LCD
also is the ability for 16.7 million color display !
another is bulkiness ofcourse
also CRT's tend to STORE a lot of charge ( due to the capacitors), which can be dissipated throught the data cable too ( after a lot of years ofcourse ) ...and if u open without waiting for a couple of days to let it dissipate then the voltage can be lethal in case of accident ( thats just a precautions .. ofcourse no one normal opens CRT's ;) )
and obviously LCD's look sleek n s**y

the disadvantage is the native resolution .. u can work ONLY AT THAT and cant change it !
normally for almost all 17" its 1280*1024

all in all .. im just gonna say im dying to get that piece for myself ( or a 913n ) !! i think that should be sufficient :)

geekysage

Journeyman
theraven said:
lol .. no but those are the obvious advantages of crt's over LCD monitors !!!
its just the technology diff
I second this. Having used all kinds of LCDs in the past few years, i can tell that CRTs still rule if you don't mind keeping a monster on your table. The picture quality difference is as evident as looking through a clear glass compared to looking through a thin film of gel. ( don't know if this makes any sense :p )
I have worked on LCDs in laptops (dell latitude, then toshiba HDTV quality screen laptop, then a sucky toshiba tablet pc screen) and desktop LCDs (dell 17", 19", LG, HP and my latest baby, the cutest so far Dell 20.1" 2005fpw). So you better take it seriously when i say a sony, viewsonic 20-21" CRT would kick any LCD's ass, hands down! I personally hate keeping those bulky monsters on my table hence the attachment to LCDs.

Oh yeah, as somebody already mentioned, LCDs still have a lot of defects - ghosting, dead pixels, bad viewing angles, blacks looking kinda greyish, etc. etc. Gaming on an LCD sucks, not only because of the above problems but also because LCDs are limited by odd native resolutions (especially if you have a widescreen).

Still if the OP decides to buy an LCD, I'd recommend either Samsung or Dell (uses the same panel...most of the time).

Hopefully LCDs will improve with newer technologies like OLED (organic LED) panels, which are supposed to give a much wider array of colors, and prolly leave CRTs behind with time.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
geekysage said:
Still if the OP decides to buy an LCD, I'd recommend either Samsung or Dell (uses the same panel...most of the time).

err.. dell in india? err...

Are you sure dell sells LCDs in India?

mail2and said:
geekysage said:

err.. dell in india? err...

Are you sure dell sells LCDs in India?

No, but they do bundle their LCD's with their desktop pc's in India.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom