Text to speech: indian accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Well.. there are many text-to-speech softwares out there which can convert text to speech and save it in wav or mp3 format.

1) Which among the FREEWARES is the best?
2) Since all the voice are American, is there any Indian accent that can be used to generate Indian voice?

amitava82

MMO Addict
As long as it use Microsoft speech engine, all are same. AT&T Labs Speech engine is the best (almost natural) and it has indian accent too. But its not free. You can try online demo to convert text to wav: *www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ any other brand of s/w available ?? i knw abt dragon, but they all hv US,UK accents...

or else, how can i make the PC learn step-by-step.. I guess that will take ages.. considering thefact that i'll hv to speel each and every work in my accent.. :(

----------

edit: hey i was impressed by the demo (in US accent).. :D

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
Dragon and others are Speech-to-text. And this is Text-to-Speech. Microsoft speech engine is used in most T2S softwares. So, quality is same. AT&T is the best natural sounding AFAIK. For Speech-to-text, Dragon is the best. Not very productive IMO.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I have a question - why would anyone want to hear an indian accent? I mean, US and UK accents are far more natural than indian.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Opinions differ. Not every Indian is comfortable with the western accent. When the target audience is Indian, why present them with a western accent? What do we prove by doing that?

Please leave this discussion aside...and let me know if you are aware of any such Indian speech engines.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ Translate, please...

lol.. good one :D:D

btw, yup after hearing the AT&T's Hindi accent, sum words (like, Anjali, the speech AI herself cannot pronounce the name properly) also, the US accent was really simple adn smooth..

yup, i do understand ppl hv different tastes, but was really impressed by the clarity.. :)

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@OP

Try this: Nuance Realspeak

*www.nuance.com/realspeak/

You need to register for free to see the demo, use BugMeNot.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ yeah i knw, infact the US version is really clear...and understandable... Anjali messes up with the pronounciation of certain words..

mkmkmk

In the zone
try this.......

Sangeeta Indian Accent English 22khz Voice Sample

*nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html#Nuance

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@Sridhar, if you are planning to have lots of desi names/words, these engines pronounce it funny. My name for example :( You'll have to bend your jaws in unnatural angles to speak like that lol :)

Saharika

In the zone
if for opposite speech to text then

the best
dragon naturally speaking ....any one above 9.0

in that they have "indian accent" itself...for normal user it is 90% accurate..if you are somebody who work in call center and all...you will forget trying....

i am not sales person of that ...but just a recommendation...was very nice that some software do care about indian consumers as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom