Temperature Sensor for OpenSuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I have noticed my laptop getting quite hot after using OpenSuse and the fan also runs all the time, even when idle. Is there an installable temperature sensor available for OpenSuse so that I could find the CPU, GPU and HDD temperatures like I do on Windows? I want something I could use or at least an instruction to compile and install source file.

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I have gkrellm and I don't find a setting for for my CPU, GPU and HDD temperature sensors. Doing a search on lmsensors

Is there any other which work?

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
lmsensors comes pre-installed on OpenSUSE. At least it was installed on my system which was installed from a DVD. IMHO instead of compiling lmsensors yourself, you should use the distro supplied version. This will provide you with proper start-up scripts installed in appropriate places.

After you have installed lmsensors using yast, you need to configure it. This can be done using sensors-detect script that comes with lmsensors. You just need to execute "sensors-detect" as root in a terminal window and then follow the onscreen instructions. Once the script detects all the sensors available on your motherboard, it creates valid sensors.conf file. After this, start lmsensors service from the service manager and you should have lmsensors working.

To test whether lmsensors is working or not, just execute "sensors" command as a normal user in a terminal window. If you get temp, voltage and fan rpm outputs then everything is working fine. Now, you can use programs like gkrellm or gdesklets widgets to read your sensors outputs.

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I didn't know 'sensor' was same as lm-sensor. 'Sensor' is what I have found in the Yast package. Running sensors-detected I was told the driver 'coretemp' didn't exist in the kernel which is for the CPU sensors in IntelCore Duo laptops. An URL is given for the patch, where I couldn't find which is the patch and what is there to do, I'm pretty in the sea.

*lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-October/018100.html

I have installed gkrellm but it does not show CPU, GPU and HDD temperatures either.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
Looks like you don't have much choice here. Either patch your kernel or wait for the patches to go upstream into kernel.

The patches are available in next 3 posts in that thread you linked us to.
*lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-October/018101.html
*lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-October/018102.html
*lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-October/018103.html

Look at the bottom of the posts that says "Url:". You can download the patches and apply them to your kernel. Then enable coretemp driver.

OP
Aberforth

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I really have no idea how to use these bin files to patch the kernel. Perhaps someone could help me or I'll need to wait for the next kernel release.

eddie

El mooooo
You can rename the bin files to .patch and then use them on your kernel source dir using patch command. Once you have got the patched source, you can compile your own kernel or just the module coretemp. Read "man patch" to know how to use patch command.

mediator

Technomancer
You can also observe the temperature via "gdesklets"! U need to have/install gdesklets for that.

Check this out!

*gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/SideCandy-HDDTemp-0.2.tar.gz
*gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/lmsensors-gdesklet-0.8.tar.bz2
*gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/SideCandyBattery-1.1.tar.gz
+
More there!

eddie

El mooooo
^ Nothing will work until he has lmsensors working. That is the necessary backend...every frontend...be it gkrellm or gdesklets comes after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom