Technology vs Terrorists?

Do we techno-buff people hold any responsibility?

• No its governments job

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal.rewari

Right off the assembly line
Well are we here to only discuss that.......

Windows Vista didn`t fared nicely, and windows 7 is it`s make-up?
or
Did anyone tried Nvidia Card GTX-280!!
or
Brandishing our i-Pods ,music players or gadgets!!!

26th November 2008 Attacks did put a question in my mind ....

Can`t Technology fight these Terrorists?

We can make supercomputers in India or even launch a probe to moon, or control the world outsourcing but our real problem remains.

We techno-buff people, can`t we come up with any solution to stop all these things.Don`t we hold any responsibility?

There are about thousands of people in this forum. If we can work for something that stops this invasion and use technology to the fullest I think then only it will be the fair use of technology.

Then what`s the use of this technology if we can`t figure out something to stop these people?

Wat say Am I right in my thoughts?

Common people we are at the No 1 technology Magazine`s forum..............

mrintech

Technomancer
Virtually in this Internet we can spread awareness. Rest Practically do anything, come in light and you will be shot dead one day or the other.

This is the truth and truth is always bitter.

Our responsibility is to spread Awareness within People and Authorities regarding what can be done with Technology.....

This is my view ;)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ok, Mr. Vishal lets be practical and be very practical...I'm ready to "DO". Do u have any practical idea how we can help government?

Don't suggest to open a hacking group and hack d pakistani websites(its realted to cyber war right, and validates ur demand, "fight back with technology"), then we'll also become criminal.

We are already doing wat we r supposed to do. Those who are in jobs (blue collar or white collar) they are doing their duty, our government earns revenue from here(taxes).

AND, again I'm clueless how do u want to help technologically our government? Do u have any idea?

VD17

Journeyman
^ Agreed

What i find appalling is the lack of will on the part of authorities to deal with these incidents. It's not like we are so cash strapped that we can't afford proper surveillance of high priority areas. Does the mumbai police really mean to tell the rest of the world that the shore in front of gateway of india and the adjoining places was left unmanned? what was the coast guard up to? tracking down pirates somewhere near somalia while terrorists unloaded their picnic-basket full of weapons?
The least they can do is set up camera using secured wifi/internet connections and have them manned at a central control room which can relay alerts to the nearest guard station (which again needs skilled policemen).
Not only has our nation failed to implement technology in this "fight against terrorism", we have managed make a fool of ourselves in front of the entire world even with the NSG not matching up to the standards of their western counterparts. I imagine swat would be better equipped with weapons and technologies to deal with such a situation.

I think Indian PM should cash in on the promises of help made by US, UK and have them send in teams to train our NSG and special task forces on tactics, weapons and technologies. We spend a $h1tload on logic-devoid plans like the BRT corridor... using money that could atleast buy some good cameras or night-vision or something for the task forces. This one time, I'm ashamed of being an Indian.

agreed to the view that the only thing we can actively do is raise awareness

Last edited:
What technology do you want to use to fight against those militants who rely with guns and grenade? :???:
Stop being n00bish.....

mrintech

Technomancer
@VD17

Dude there is no need to be shamed. Remember Jerks are everywhere. These terrorists are like SPAM/Viruses/Hackers and their main work is finding out vulnerabilities. No Matter Howsoever the security is strong or how well we are equipped, these jerks will find one way or the other to perform insane things.

Also remember, there are always hidden political motives behind each and every action and these jerk politicians will do all insane things to satisfy their deeds and pockets.

Rest this is Kaliyug and there is no need for an avatar of Vishnu to appear again and destroy this whole world. Humans will do his task in coming future, for sure. ;)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Well for one thing, technology is used for making such attacks successful :/
Someone can have the whole plan of area via google maps or other things. Any detail about minute things.

VD17

Journeyman
Yeah you're right.. I over-reacted perhaps... but seriously, even after the year this has been, i am yet to see any serious initative from the authorities apart from big talk.
and perhaps this is what we should be spreading awareness about. Our voices would be heard now more than usual because of the elections, although this is the time of blatant false political promises.

afonofa

Journeyman
Virtually in this Internet we can spread awareness.

Our responsibility is to spread Awareness within People and Authorities regarding what can be done with Technology.....
+
The least they can do is set up camera using secured wifi/internet connections and have them manned at a central control room which can relay alerts to the nearest guard station (which again needs skilled policemen).
Man the cams at a central control room but also send out the feed live over the internet.

"The Phantom has a thousand eyes and a thousand ears" - old jungle saying

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
fyi pakistan and vietnam are top countries in hacking afaik and india comes 2nd most are from hydrabad and delhi some are from mumbai and nagpur

iinfi

mekalodu
corruption is the root cause of all evil in India!! a person is not corrupt by birth. he is made corrupt by the person sitting next to him.
we must put an end to corruption by abolishing hard cash and giv SMART CARDS to every Indian citizen.
The SMART CARDS are only for transaction. Central database will contain contain every single source of income of a person. it will contain the total assets of a person.
now if a person gets money disproportionate to his income then automatically IT dept sud be alerted giving the details so that they can raid him.
IT dept cannot take bribe as it will recorded and they themselves will be in trouble. any foreign income will also be recorded whn it comes into India.
When hard cash is abolished it will end corruption also and illegal immigrants cant survive in this country as SMART CARDS will be issued only to Indians. foolproof system sud be made !! The cost of IT infrastructure will crores of rupees but it will reap rich dividends in the long run by making India a great place to live.
there can be more ideas added to this. we have to begin now OR face anarchy

there will hell lota people who wud say this is simply impossible. how r u going to get a villager understand this? wat wud be the cost of smart cards?
my answer is, if a villager can handle a mobile fone, he can handle a smart card as well.
a road side paan vala sud v a handy mobile device to validate and accept money from the SMART CARDS, while bigger establishments dealing in large transactions sud v biometric devices to validate the transactions.
this cannot happen jus tdy or tomorrow. i can definitely happen in the next 10 years if we start with gusto. we already v half of the infrastructure in the form of BSNL and Railway communications. it only requires a WILLPOWER to begin.
please do post if you have better ideas or if u can add to this, instead of jus thinking "impossible". i cud v put this all up in a better way .. but i didnt v time for an essay. sorry abt that.

iSLaND

Broken In
> If govt. does collect tax, its govt.'s duty to protect us.

> Its not ONLY govt.'s duty to protect us. we all have a great responsibility.

> Common man is ready for this responsibility but someone (NGO/Govt./Party) should take the lead and organize it all.

> We lack trained police, security guards.

> We lack political will to fight terrorism.

> There is a need to learn a lot from countries like Israel, US, UK on how to tackle terrorism.

> Imagine technology playing role in this encounter- you release a gas that makes all people unconscious- all commandos wear masks and go inside. capture terrorists and release hostages who are all unconscious.
This is also technology.

> Computer technology in intercepting their conversations, emails etc

> There is a thing called RAW, but i think its really in raw stages!

iSLaND

Broken In
This is India not America :?
Exactly and we don't need to make India like america. India can be better.

@iSLaND: Been watching a lot of movies lately?
Nope. This gas was used by russian forces in rescuing when terrorists hijacked a full cinema hall a few yrs back. if i get exact story i ll link it.

With such mentality, how can we fight militants who are trained strategically to cause max destruction and panic?

Mindset makes the difference!

unni

In the zone
Here is the link:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
The Moscow theatre hostage crisis, also known as the 2002 Nord-Ost siege, was the seizure of a crowded Moscow theatre on October 23, 2002 by about 40-50 armed Chechen rebel fighters who claimed allegiance to the separatist movement in Chechnya. They took 850 hostages and demanded the withdrawal of Russian forces from Chechnya and an end to the Second Chechen War. The siege was led by Movsar Barayev (aged 22 at the time).

After a two-and-a-half day siege, Russian OSNAZ forces pumped an unknown chemical agent into the building's ventilation system and raided it. Officially, 39 of the terrorists were killed by Russian forces, along with at least 129 and possibly many more of the hostages (nine of them foreigners). All but two of the hostages who died during the siege were killed by the toxic substance pumped into the theatre to subdue the militants.
Another one: *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis
The Beslan school hostage crisis (also referred to as the Beslan school siege or Beslan massacre) began when a group of armed rebels, demanding an end to the Second Chechen War, took more than 1,100 people (including some 777 children) hostage on September 1, 2004, at School Number One (SNO) in the town of Beslan, North Ossetia-Alania, an autonomous republic in the North Caucasus region of the Russian Federation. On the third day of the standoff, Russian security forces stormed the building. A series of explosions shook the school, followed by a fire which engulfed the building and a chaotic gunbattle between the hostage-takers and Russian security forces. Ultimately, at least 334 hostages were killed, including 186 children. Hundreds more were wounded or reported missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom