Tech Journalism

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hey
So Im in +1 right now, in Non med (PCM)
And I want to know
1. What degrees do I need to get in tech. journalism
2. What courses should I join
3. A Job plan 10 years down the lane (incl. expected salary, designation etc.)
IF THATS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK

PLEASE help me! And I would love it if a member from team Digit would help me out. Cuz isn't that what Digit is all about? Tech. Journalism? :/
THANK YOU in advance! :)

Krow

Crowman
Well, first up, tech journalism is a niche field. So don't expect to make a career instantly as there are so few employers, especially in print media. There is no specific degree for journalism in general. I mean there are good courses but not fundamental to join journalism.

Its not worth it doing a mass communication degree at graduation level. You could do a BTech or BE or BA, it doesn't make a difference. Learn as much as you want to during graduation and do a post grad in a specific subject. If you want journalism courses, look for Indian Institute of Mass Communication or Asian College of Journalism (the best in India at the moment).

Brush up your English writing skills and read news regularly. If you are able to stay ahead of the game, spot rising trends and have a nose for news, you are good to go. These are skills, not talents. You learn these over time, so better start early. :)

10 years down the line? My friend, the media industry is a fast moving one. The tech media world moves even faster. In 10 years, all print publications might have died and websites might be the only saving grace (other than being shipped off outer space). :p

Don't worry about salary. If you are good at your work, your pay and growth will be decent. Don't expect MBA level salaries but you do get paid well in journalism.

Last but not the least, you are far too young to speculate so far ahead in life. Enjoy life now, keep learning as much as possible and try and keep yourself unbiased. Last thing the media needs is more fanboys. :p

Cheers, and good luck. :)

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Haha thanks a LOT Krow!
AND I KNOW this is :offtopic: but answer only if you feel its okay to,
but what field are you in? Hows your work experience?

and if Mods are reading this I WOULD LOVE if Digit did an article about Tech Careers , one every bi-monthly or a fast track or a a cover article.
And I think Ill write to them in the By demand section Forum too

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
@TheLetterD :
If you don't know this: Digit had already done a fast track on Tech Careers. I don't remember perfectly the issue-date but I think it was accompanied with the Special June issue.

Also digit carries career-related article in each month.

And I think Ill write to them in the By demand section Forum too
Sure, you can demand that.

Top Bottom