TCPA or Trusted Computing Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hey guys we all are crying about DRM here is uska baap .... did ya'll know about TCPA

these guys are gonna change the way we compute and its gonna be crap

-> TCPA or Trusted Computing Alliance is a congregation of 170 companies.

The companies:
The TCPA was founded 1999 by Compaq, HP, IBM, Intel and Microsoft. But in the meantime around 200 companies joined them. You will find Adobe, AMD, Fujitsu-Siemens, Gateway, Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba and many other well known companies. IBM already sells first desktops and notebooks with integrated TPM.

-> The TCPA is proposing the use of a hardware chip also called the Fritz chip to prevent people from using illegal software, movies, music and etc

-> The TCPA chip resides on your motherboard. Whenever a new application is installed or used, the fritz chip checks to see if it is TCPA conformant. (ie) if it is digitally signed by a 2048 bit encryption key governed by the TCPA authority in the united states

-> If a software maker tries to make software that is not TCPA conformant, then he/she is liable to a penalty of 5 years in prison with/without a 500000 $ fine. If the software maker breaks the law for the second time, he/she is liable to 10 years in prison.

-> Every software must be TCPA conformant if it is to be used in a TCPA conformant hardware. Even the OS. HP has apparently started on a TCPA conformant version of Linux.

-> Slowly other OS's will follow suit. They will refuse to install on a system that is TCPA non-conformant.

-> This will swiftly be followed by movies and music needing TCPA conformant hardware to view or listen.

-> The TCPA organisation want to install the fritz chip in every hardware...... including the

graphics cards - say bye to 100 Rs games
sound cards - say bye to copying music from your friends hard drive
display adaptors - even what can be seen by you will be controlled by the TCPA

and microsoft even wants to rig the keyboard with a fritz chip ( spying ).

-> what this means is that....... indirectly.... even though you own your computer, it is still being controlled by the TCPA.

-> The open source movement will not exist because its charter prevents it from writing software for closed source architecture. And as a result will remain non TCPA conformant. And since non TCPA conformant software cannot run on a TCPA conformant system... the open source movement will slowly die.

thats about it. This is what i understood. sorry if i've misunderstood anything. Correct me in that case.

But i still suggest it is better to go through the website and watch the video. i have omitted quite a lot.

if you understand the gravity of the situation and are scared... hmm... well..... you should be.

im sure there will be the naysayers saying someone will come along to crack this up just like all the times when companies came up with some new scheme to thwart piracy. I thought same. But Im afraid, this time, things have got a bit serious.

FACT : There is no computer in the world that can crack an encryption that is encrypted using a 2048 bit cyper. There is a method. Its called the brute force approach. The fastest computer on earth is mind bogglingly fast. But there are 2^2048 permutuations in a 2048 key. Do the math. You can crack such a key by 2030 if you start today using that mind bogglingly fast computer.

FACT : Fritz uses a 2048 key.

Website

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
We, the consumers need to start getting together and fight against such malpractices.
What if a linux user wants to make his/her own custom distro. We go to such authorities to get it signed.
And anyways why the hell should they interfere and stop us that too using our money.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@ techtronic : did u even care to read .... dude softwarre giant ... its all hardware ppl ... hardly any software companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well it can't be just hardware companies, software companies have to be involved too even if the article doesn't mention about it. It's the software companies whose interest is at stake.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ go thru the website ... iv posted some of the companies ... and it says in the website ... its first hardware ... then software

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
mAV3 said:
@ techtronic : did u even care to read .... dude softwarre giant ... its all hardware ppl ... hardly any software companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy, its mainly because of Software Piracy only, concepts like TCPA arise.
So its not only the Hardware Community that will go for this but Software Community too. As per your post
The TCPA was founded 1999 by Compaq, HP, IBM, Intel and Microsoft. When Microsoft is present, I smell methods to reduce software piracy :D

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Hmm this means no US software if this law comes to power (Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act) For sometime Indian/European software developers will have a field day (provided they succumb to non availability of open hardware. )

unless Chinese OEMs will start making open hardware available in the world.

I guess the biggest loser out of this thing will be the US companies, government, economy and unfortunately the US citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom