system32 queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
Recently I started browsing through system32 in the windows folder.On exploring this i found services which I had never heard of.Can somebody please explain what the following are.Except the last two they are exactly in the order as they appear in system32.None of the above are screensavers or third party which are also present in system 32.
1.What is catroot it contains the key I suppose and there is time stamp to it.What is a time stamp
2.Dr.watson in this folder when is it used?Tthis is not a virus the company name is microsoft.there is another dr .watson32 post mortem debugger
3.Can diskpart be used to create partitions in the c folder
4.What is autoexec.nt
5.For what is syskey used
6.can sysedit also be used to edit system files like regedit is used to edit registry files.
7.what is packager .When you open this an object packager opens.What is an object packager
8.What is the bootbak configuration file .Can the timeout field in it be edited to increase bootup times.
what is edit in this folder.
9.What is jetcomp or a databose compact utility
10.what is eucedit or a private character modifier.
11. what is rtcapp and getmac(It is a microsoft file not third party one)
12.What is dumprep and cftmon
13.A link to paypal exists in system32 although I have never visited it.Is this spyware.
P.S-found an mp3 within system32 called smfcurrf

Last edited:

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Gr8 Qns buddy................................

Suggestion:
Thinkdigit hv added two options in the forum.......i.e.
1.Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread
2.Similar Threads...

It must also provide the option of bookmarking the thread....so that we can see the thread afterwards......

Possible

Custom User Title
Ron said:
Gr8 Qns buddy................................

Suggestion:
Thinkdigit hv added two options in the forum.......i.e.
1.Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread
2.Similar Threads...

It must also provide the option of bookmarking the thread....so that we can see the thread afterwards......
Was this even related? :confused:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
no, not related, and you have a drop down item called subscribe to this thread in thread tools just above the first post in a thread.

as for the questions, why don't you just run the applications and look for some tips in the help menu. If it is still not clear, you can try posting asking for clarification. I am just too lazy to go through all those stuff trying to find answers for stuff which i would probably never use anyway.

Someone else might answer though.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I can answer one:
1)Dr. Watson as the default system debugger.Using this you can troubleshoot "STOP 0xC000021A" error.To start this service type Drwtsn32.exe in run box and press enter.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
hey buddy........
I was not knowing the Ans of these Qns......but i wished to get some knowledge .....So i posted a message in this thread so that i can see the ongoing updates..... in this thread.........................................

I said to "Bookmark The thread " because i dont want to waste a post just to bookmark the thread................

morpheusv6

Journeyman
Did you try searching the net for your answers?
I am sure you wil find the by googling the appropiate keywords.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Catroot
catalog files and signature files

Dr. watson
*support.microsoft.com/kb/308538

diskpart
*www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/diskpart.mspx?mfr=true

autoexec.nt
used to initiate the ms-dos evironment

syskey
used to store your passwords *support.microsoft.com/kb/310105

sysedit
Sysedit is a specialized editor for core Microsoft Windows configuration files (such as WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI, CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT). Sysedit was bundled with and automatically installed by every version of Windows from Windows 3.0 to Windows 98SE. Support was discontinued with Windows Millennium Edition. At the time of its initial release, Sysedit was commonly used to demonstrate multiple document interfaces. It opens all of the aforementioned configuration files at once in separate daughter windows whenever launched. It still uses the System font from older versions of Windows.
source: *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysedit

packager
Present in my winXP Pro SP2

bootbak
Not present in my winXP pro sp2

jetcomp
The Jet compact utility, JETCOMP.exe, is a stand-alone utility that compacts databases created with Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x and 4.x. This utility may be run in conjunction with Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x and 4.x for recovering corrupted databases. Although you can run the Microsoft Access Compact utility or the CompactDatabase method with Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x and 4.x, Jetcomp.exe may be able to recover some databases that these utilities cannot. The reason for this is that the Microsoft Access Compact utility and the CompactDatabase method attempt to open and close a database before attempting to compact it. In certain cases where these utilities may not be able to reopen the database, Compact will be unable to proceed, preventing recovery of the database. JETCOMP.exe does not attempt to open and close the database before compacting, and may therefore be able to recover some databases that the Microsoft Access compact utility and the CompactDatabase method cannot.
source: *support.microsoft.com/kb/273956

eucedit
It is used to create logos and fonts. source: *www.winforums.com/showthread.php?p=6620

rtcapp
Not present in my WinXP Pro sp2

getmac
Returns the media access control (MAC) address and list of network protocols associated with each address for all network cards in each computer, either locally or across a network.
*www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/getmac.mspx?mfr=true

dumprep
It is a cleanup utility to free the resources used by a program

cftmon
no idea. But ctfmon is an office utility enabling alternative user input. To know more read this articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

link to paypal
Possible spyware. Try deleting the link

smfcurrf.mp3
Should not be there. Try deleting it

Hint: What should you understand form not in my winXP Pro SP2 and present in my WinXP Pro SP2

This is the first time my Windows is going strong after 2 months of installation. With windows Vista, the wow started for Windows XP as well.

OP
aneesh kalra

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
casnova I do think the extra file(bootbak) and the mp3 is due to something else.However they have not been visible during any of the scans for viruses
and spyware. whatt is the answer I should derieve from the hint apart from what is stated above.I should start visiting the microsoft site more often now has lots of info.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
I would suggest to delete them as I was unable to find any info. If you are unsure, zip those files before deleting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom