System restarts on shutting down!

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
My old PC- a Pentium 4 restarts itself when I shut it down. I have tried reinstalling Windows(XP then XP again then 7 then XP then 7 again and finally XP now!!!). What could be the problem?
Its a P4 with 1GB x 2 DDR2 RAM(Even caused problem on a 512MB stick), some cheap PSU and I dont know anything else :(

If I unplug it when the computer shuts down(immediately before restarting), would it cause any problems?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
There can be many reasons for this. Try the following and see if it works. It's not a final solution, but it may help indicate the source of the problem.

Right-click My Computer, then the 'Advanced' tab. Click the 'Settings' button under 'Startup and Recovery'. Then under System Failure, untick "Automatically restart"

As to your closing question: No, it won't do any harm if you time it correctly. But if you switch off power while the hard disk is being accessed, then the HDD may be damaged.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
There can be many reasons for this. Try the following and see if it works. It's not a final solution, but it may help indicate the source of the problem.

Right-click My Computer, then the 'Advanced' tab. Click the 'Settings' button under 'Startup and Recovery'. Then under System Failure, untick "Automatically restart"
That's for BSODs?

Faulty power supply or bad earthing?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
^ Those and other things. There are many possible causes for the OP's problem - driver problem, buggy software or hardware, even condensed moisture at some critical points on the motherboard.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
@Ishu Gupta: I didn't say it's the OS.
If you re-install the OS then don't you have to re-install softwares and drivers as well? And I don't think the OP will install all drivers and softwares every time before he tries a restart.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If you re-install the OS then don't you have to re-install softwares and drivers as well? And I don't think the OP will install all drivers and softwares every time before he tries a restart.
Read your own post again. Don't you think the two sentences contradict each other?

Anyway, did you miss the part where I included hardware as a possible cause? Even moisture?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Read your own post again. Don't you think the two sentences contradict each other?
Not at all.
First part meant that he reinstall every software/OS/drivers so they are not the issue.
Second part meant that he was probably restarting between the OS reinstall and driver/software install. So you can't say that he was "reinstalling faulty drivers" again and again.

So it doesn't contradict the first part. More like builds on it.

Anyway, did you miss the part where I included hardware as a possible cause? Even moisture?
No. I was just saying that its probably not a software issue and we should prioritise on finding/fixing hardware faults.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It's best to keep considering all possibilities. He could well be installing the same corrupted files again and again. I'm not saying that this must be the reason, but it's still a possibility. And we don't know everything the OP did regarding hardware or software. In cases like this, he may not even remember them all.
we should prioritise on finding/fixing hardware faults.
Got any suggestions?

sygeek

Technomancer
My old PC- a Pentium 4 restarts itself when I shut it down. I have tried reinstalling Windows(XP then XP again then 7 then XP then 7 again and finally XP now!!!). What could be the problem?
Its a P4 with 1GB x 2 DDR2 RAM(Even caused problem on a 512MB stick), some cheap PSU and I dont know anything else :(

If I unplug it when the computer shuts down(immediately before restarting), would it cause any problems?
Did you try booting up in safe mode and see if the problem persists?

Also, try restoring to a point before this problem.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
He could well be installing the same corrupted files again and again.
That's the reason I put in that second sentence.
Ishu said:
And I don't think the OP will install all drivers and softwares every time before he tries a restart.
pimpom said:
Got any suggestions?
Already gave a possible problem.
Faulty power supply or bad earthing?

lol, much ado 'bout nothin'? :p

I'm bored :unsure:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Used to happen to a friend too. Bad PSU it was.
:)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent

Since it is happening in win7 as well as Xp is does not seem an OS issue Try to load BIOS defaults & see

also try these

Windows XP restarts when you try to shut down your computer
Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer

OP
Nipun

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Ram or PSU might be faulty.Try to check with your hardware technician.
RAM is not an issue, as it even caused earlier and and now with new ones also...

Since it is happening in win7 as well as Xp is does not seem an OS issue Try to load BIOS defaults & see

also try these

Windows XP restarts when you try to shut down your computer
Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
Thanks for the links but I already looked at them but it helps :(

Used to happen to a friend too. Bad PSU it was.
:)
hmm.. But I dont want to change PSU of a computer that will automatically die in 1 years.
Thanks anyways.

Did you try booting up in safe mode and see if the problem persists?

Also, try restoring to a point before this problem.
I will try it in safe mode.

But I dont think restoring is possible as I have reinstalled windows many times(for many different problems :)) )

Try installing Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.
No way!!!! :p

Top Bottom