System.ini corrupted - windows xp not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGS_001

Broken In
Hi,

In my laptop with Win XP Home as the OS, recently it has started giving OS load errors...

It would first state that previous shutdown was not normal and so select the standard options (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Cmd prompt, ..., Last known Working configuration, etc.).

If I select the Last Known Working configuration, it next states System.ini is corrupted - Press "r" to repair. But pressing "r" doesn't help but it just hangs -- no further action seen even 30+ minutes after pressing r.

If I select Safe Mode, it start listing out the files that gets loaded and when it reaches system.ini, it states that it's corrupted and hangs..

How can I fix this issue and get the OS load properly?

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Simple at system bootup hit F8 to get boot options select "Last Known Good Configuration" that should fix the issue

And to be safe boot your computer into Command Prompt Only and scan your HDD for problems

Chkdsk /r

Hope this helps :D

OP
S

SGS_001

Broken In
Well, Ashish -- As I had mentioned, even the Last Known Good configuration doesn't help here as it still hangs...

Cyborg -- When you state reinstall WinXP, how about the data on my HDD -- would it all be lost in that case? (since I had only one partition in it).

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
K first scan your HDD for errors and repair them; boot your machine into Command Prompt Only and then run CHKDSK /F on the boot Volume

Typically this should solve this issue but in case the issue still persists U'll have to repair the registry hives ...try the HDD repair and let us know the result ....

T

thunderbird.117

SGS_001 said:
Well, Ashish -- As I had mentioned, even the Last Known Good configuration doesn't help here as it still hangs...

Cyborg -- When you state reinstall WinXP, how about the data on my HDD -- would it all be lost in that case? (since I had only one partition in it).

Just read this and understand :-

*www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c29621675.mspx

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Simply reinstall Windows XP, U wouldn't loose anything unless the machine is into some domain ... I believe it's not ;)

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
if you have a back up then why dont you try replacing the system.ini file ???

My msgina.dll or something like that was corrupted and I had to replace the shell32.dll after booting using the Dynebolic 1.1 Linux CD that came with Digit December issue...

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Well this is what you need to do then :

Boot your system with the Windows XP/2000 Install CD, let the system start the Setup. Once in the Setup, choose to run the Recovery Console.

Now type the following commands pressing Enter after each line.

ren C:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

Try to boot the system, if it doesn't start, get back into the Recovery Console and enter the following commands.

delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
ren C:\windows\system32\config\system.old system

If you don't have an XP/2000 CD with the Recovery Console on it, you can try removing your hard drive and connecting it your friend's system or installing another Windows system in a different directory. Then you can access the \Windows\System32\Config folder. Copy the files System to a safe location. Then go to the \Windows\Repair folder. Those five files are your orginal registry files created when XP/2000 was first installed. Copy the file System from the \Repair folder and paste it into the \Config folder.

Try to boot your system.

Its better u install the OS again rather than tryin to implement all those repair stuff's n all...It hardly takes half an hour to install a new OS...n still if u r lookin in this post for new replies then GOD help u man....Amen!

Cheers,
Kunal :p

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
we are here for learning........reinstalling xp is the last option.....so i guess u should try the options which 'll definitely help u learning new things.....whichis main purpose of this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom