System Infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

afonofa

Journeyman
1. Uninstall Symantec's Antivirus/Suite. It's "protection" is just not worth the resource drain on your comp. If you want to, you can always reinstall it after you cleanup the malware.

2. Install Kaspersky Antivirus v7.0.1.325 trial, with its self defense enabled during and after installation. Set KAV's settings to max. It will barely hurt your comp's performance. Activate the trial > update it > disconnect from the internet > do a full system scan in normal mode and if it can't quarantine/delete any infected files even on reboot, then scan in safe mode. At max settings the scan can take a long time to complete. So you may want to exit all other programs before starting the scan. (also before a HJT scan, exit all programs other than your antivirus + antispyware + firewall, so that it reduces the length of the HJT log)

3. Turn off System Restore.

4. Clean out your Temp files and folders. I have never used it, but many forum members recommend using CCleaner.

5. Definitely upgrade to Internet Explorer 7

6. Install all the critical updates through windows automatic updates or SP3.

7. Check your comp with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

I have never tried Avast, but my friend used to have Avast home on his comp, and his comp would be infected with malware often. His comp's been malware free for a long time now, since I got him to switch to Eset Nod32 Antivirus + ZA Pro + Spybot S&D + Sandboxie. But to cleanup an already infected system, I would pick KAV over EAV any day(coupled with HJT of course).

HijackThis log

O1 - Hosts: 9.124.105.52 d23m0172
O1 - Hosts: 9.124.105.52 d23m0172.ibm.com

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [6806ab12] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ejtcyvph.dll",b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BM6b35988e] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\migrrvwp.dll",s

I don't think those two dll files are supposed to load at startup. A google search brings up no info on them. Do a search(include hidden files) on your comp for ejtcyvp*.* and migrrvw*.*

1. If you find any .exe's in your search, then quarantine them alongwith the .dll's.
2. Select(tick mark) the entries for those two dll's in HJT > Fix checked.
3. I'm not sure about those entries in your hosts file. So I leave that to you to decide whether they are required or not. If you are unsure, then note them down, remove them with HJT and check if there's any problem without those entries. If there are, then its simple to add them back.

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

If you have no open windows (add/remove programs, windows firewall settings etc.) and you see rundll32.exe running in your Task Manager processes, end it immediately, until the time your comp is free of malware.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"

For your comp to work properly, the above programs are not required to load at startup. It depends on your preferences but turning them off will speed up your startup. Turn them off from within the programs themselves, for those that you can't, use Spybot S&D to disable them from startup(don't use msconfig). This has nothing to do with the browser hijack problem that you are having.

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
Thanks afonova. I tried the steps you mentioned. But the problem still remains. somehow the names of dll (which were calling rundll32.exe ) today in the HTL have changed. I tried deleting those dlls, but seems they are being used by lot other processes too (tasklist/m).

Updated Windows Defender/Spybot/Adaware/Symantec got nothing.

Bluescreen problem got resolved, but popups still open. Another issue which I see now is that after login, the explorer doesnt itself starts. So I have to use taskmanager and start the explorer.exe manually.

ALL, changing the browser wont help, since whatever executable the malware uses, it will use the system default browser and launch the URL. So its not about browser. My system is infected because of opening a wrong email attachment which initially seemed to have come from a valid source.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Try QuickHeal trial version............insatall and do a boot time scan............its a pretty good boot time scanner...............and have u tried Avira??

drsubhadip

In the zone
the easy solution is format the hard disk..
install ubuntu 8.04 hardy..
forget about antivirus,anti spyware,anti malware, trojan horse
everything..
go to linux my friend..
or use knoppix live dvd or cd ..

afonofa

Journeyman
I tried deleting those dlls, but seems they are being used by lot other processes too (tasklist/m).
1. Try deleting them in safe mode.
2. If you can't see them in windows explorer in safe mode, try the command prompt in normal and/or safe mode.
3. You can also setup HiJackThis to delete those dll's on a reboot.
4. Check whether it's just the names of the dll's which have changed or whether they are entirely new files.
5. Submit those dll samples to Symantec. Scan them at VirusTotal.
6. Immunize after Spybot S&D update, use Spybot S&D's Resident "SDHelper".
7. Search for any new/unknown/suspicious *.bat files *.vbs files
8. I think you will find Process Explorer much better than tasklist
9. Try blocking windowsscanner-freever.com and zoombli.com in your firewall OR add them to your hosts file
Code:
127.0.0.1 windowsscanner-freever.com
127.0.0.1 zoombli.com

Usually in normal mode, if you end explorer.exe, then through the command prompt, you can delete many of the "access denied" files. You may have to use the dir and attrib commands for this.

Bluescreen problem got resolved, but popups still open.
Was there anything specific that you did to fix the BSOD? (incase someone else comes upon this in a search)

Another issue which I see now is that after login, the explorer doesnt itself starts. So I have to use taskmanager and start the explorer.exe manually.
There was a similar problem posted. The original poster never replied back whether it worked or not, but the suggestion was to add a string value("Shell"="Explorer.exe") in the registry at
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I still think you should trial Kaspersky AV 7.0 for 30 days, or till your browser hijack is solved. I don't know if Symantec's antivirus has a HIPS, but KAV does. On max settings it will alert you to any registry changes or any executable trying to load those dll's into other processes, find things that don't show up in HJT scans, which can give you a clue to where the real problem is.

I agree, formatting the HDD should be the absolute final step, only if nothing else works. Could you post a HJT log with only the essential security software running and all other windows/programs exited?

OP
E

enjoy

Journeyman
Thanks afonofa.

Finally I got a chance to reboot my system. Scanning in safe mode with Windows Defender did fixed the issues. However some applications like winamp have started to crash, well these could be reinstalled anytime.

I had been really disappointed by Adaware & Spybot this time.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Are yaar keep them updted 7 u'll see that teh're also damn good
Also Run SFC to recheck any altered file
Go TO Run
type SFC /SCANNOW
Window will pop up & check all your system files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom