Symbian OS vs Windows v5.0 in Handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
Symbian Rocks! just plain in interface and stable and fairly large no. of apps available and it would have been even better if something like the WinXp "System restore " facility was there!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
pathiks said:
Wm is ok.. This is one platform wher ms oses dont hav the monopoly
They only have a monopoly in the desktop operating system market. It's not as if they have a monopoly everywhere and only their mobile operating system is a minority, as your statement suggests. :)

Pathik

Google Bot
well i meant "this is the only platform in mobile and desktop oses wher ms doesnt hav the monopoly.." :D

Pathik

Google Bot
read my above statement again..i said that this(mobile platform) is the only platform of the two(mobile and desktop) where ms doesnt hav a monopoly.. That means that ms does hav a monopoly in the desktop segment..

aceman

Broken In
."HW manufacturers can do the same with Symbian.And Symbian provides just the base OS layer and a basic UI. It's upto device manufacturer's to customise the UI and five a unique LAF to their device range."
And excatly how many symbian based manufactures/phones are out there leaving Nokia and Sony and some other big names, even linux has more makers than symbian.

"Am not sure,but would like to know,does WM provide the same
LAF related flexibility."
I would like to assume that LAF=Look and Feel.In this case the answer is
No, atleast not yet till WinMobile 5.2 (aka WinMobile 6.0/Crossbow) which is running on Wince 5.0 since these mobile customers wanted a uniform interface.
In CE 6.0 based winmobile (the 3rd generation kernel) called as
"Photon" the LAF can be customised by the OEM.Since I do not work with ms,I do not know much about it but rest assured you will have a micro/mini laptop in your hands, with all D3D/Direct Show (Div X here i come).......etc.
The Photon is what is what is targetted at the average joe, crossbow is only targetted at RIM customers and you will agree that we ate this market, heck even palm is using WM now :) :).

"The screen is something that is seems to limit WM again.
No such thing with Symbian,they can and have supported screen
sizes right from 128 x 160 to 240 x 320.When I said right mix,
I meant a right mix of components that would reduce the total
cost of the device."

Sorry this is wrong, i have given below the WinMobile H/W requirments,please
read below.Any H/W which can support symbian , can /will support WM more effciently.Since the WM customers are enterprise users the current H/W's has some heafty features but it is not that it will not run in less powerfull H/W.
I have seen WM deveices on PXA270 at ~500 MHz and OMAP7xx at ~100MHz.Please see the attached photo.

"VS as well as Carbide are supported for Symbian C++ programming.And yes just some news for you:"

I had even used this so called .Net class and trust me it is
horrible.For starters try writing a Camera application in .NetCF and try doingthe same in this , you will know what I am taking about.
Having a class is no big deal, what functionality it does is the catch and here the only salvation for Symbian is C++.

"Well I haven't seen them doing that 'great' switch in the past 3 to 4 years."

I don't know about you but in my company .NetCF developers with pocket
PC SDK is in such a hot demand and there was hardly anybody a few years back.A lot of .Net developers are migrating to .Net CF and it is only growing.

"As for the features that you claim to make WM a winner are
also present in symbian devices."

This means it has Direct Draw/D3D/MPEG encoders/Direct show/Unified Audio model (UAM)/.Net CF/Video accelaration/Pocket office/Exchange server/3D Audio (SRS Mobile HD)/Deep fish/Unified SDK/Wide BSP support.........etc you are making me laugh :) :).If feel symbian has all these or better please post, lets discuss.WM has lot in common with its desktop brother.

"Anyways am tired of typing so much,so will cut it
short and may the Best OS win."
and let me also play my small part in making it happen. -::), since I get my bread and butter, actually high range gaming rig,XBOX360......etc by developing for WM/Wince.

"There are so many good emulators available for WM and
crappy ones for Symbian."

The only emulator I know of is the one available in VS2005, if know anything else which is better please post here.

"Symbian being an RTOS allocates greater priority for
the system tasks and software can achieve only so much."

I am totally confused here on what this means,
second windows ce is a HARD REAL TIME os, please elaborate further.

Give me a PSP like gaming device anyday which runs on Linux,
has fast processing with good emulator support, a phone, 3G,
ebook reading capabilities like WM . I'll buy it the same day."
Why do U want linux on this ? Developing app is crap on those.
very soon WM will reach a processing power to rival some old desktops.There is a processor callled as PXA320 which runs at 800 Mhz ( no there is no typo).

"Symbian is more of a SmartPhone OS,
whereas WM is a OS specifically made for PDAs."

Let me make one more point clear , WM is Not a OS , in fact it is sort
of a middleware running on WinCe.Wince is the OS.WM is made for enterpise users (RIM) and we Blitzkrieged this market (If palm is anything to go by).This does not mean that we are sitting and watching it's laurels.
The latest yet to be released WM SDK called as "Photon" (previous WM 6.0 is called as cross bow) is targetted at the symbian's target segments.

"I believe that WM can never replace in SmartPhone front and Symbian can never take place of WM in a PDA or Handheld PC."

People said the same thing for playstation/office/os.....etc, now they are saying the same for WM/Storage server (Linux bring it ON)...etc.If anything ms and its OEM's have enough money and some smart manpower and have the need to capture emerging markets.
People say so many things, we just make it happen.

"Symbian Rocks! just plain in interface and stable and fairly large no.
of apps available "

WM was never targetted at the average joe, please see the keynote speech of crossbow if you have any doubts, it for a segment where the Symbian interface just won't cut.

"They only have a monopoly in the desktop operating system market.It's not as if they have a monopoly everywhere and only their
mobile operating system is a minority, as your statement suggests."

"Microsoft,change the world or go home" :) :) yeah.

"I think we need to lock this thread till WM emerges as a market leader "
then you will then have to unlock it very soon.

Also from what is see in this discussion people are only intrested
in discussing the UI part, I can make a symbian like UI in a day's time ,its just that plain and simple.
The core of the OS is what sets WM apart from symbian/linux..etc. No other OS has so many SDK's,Frameworks,Componets like winmobile.WM did have a very nasty VM limitation which is rectified now in CE 6.0 and the new set up resembles XP more closely with only a fraction of the processing power required.
For example for year 2006 Windriver (Vx Works ) was No :1 ,XP EMbedded was No:2,Wince was No:3 and DSP/BIOS was No:4.Vx works market segment is totally different to ours,DSP/BIOS is a free OS anyway for DSP processors,which means MS is the fatest growing Embedded OS available and will continue and are eating into symbian,linux and others.

thus to conclude
a)Symbian will die just like palm os was killed by WM.
b)Linux,though is very bulky and slow for a embedded system (Montavista is as clostly
as WM anyway with not even 10% if the features).
c)OS-X mobile (or whatever they call it ) will pose a good competion in the mutimedia segemet (forget RIM it is our's now) but with the amount of OEM's for WM and MS pushing the Embedded segemet aggresively, in future it will be like 80% WM , 5% linux and 15% OSX.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
aceman said:
a)Symbian will die just like palm os was killed by WM.
b)Linux,though is very bulky and slow for a embedded system (Montavista is as clostly
as WM anyway with not even 10% if the features).
c)OS-X mobile (or whatever they call it ) will pose a good competion in the mutimedia segemet (forget RIM it is our's now) but with the amount of OEM's for WM and MS pushing the Embedded segemet aggresively, in future it will be like 80% WM , 5% linux and 15% OSX.
make it 80% symbian, 10% WM, 7% OSX, 3% Linux...
Palm OS was killed by WM cos it wasnt widely spread as SYMBIAN is...
btw Symbian smartfones r made for the general public whereas WM fones r for rich executives...
also the main war in the music fone segment will be between SE and iPhone...
WM, at present can compete just in the smartfone area...

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
pathiks said:
make it 80% symbian, 10% WM, 7% OSX, 3% Linux...
Palm OS was killed by WM cos it wasnt widely spread as SYMBIAN is...
btw Symbian smartfones r made for the general public whereas WM fones r for rich executives...
also the main war in the music fone segment will be between SE and iPhone...
WM, at present can compete just in the smartfone area...
This thread was basically about who being the best or better.I dont subscribe to the view that Windows Mobiles are for Rich Executives. I have 02 Xda mini S ( WM 5) and i bought it after deep research where i found WM to have the more matured games and Rich data base like , FIFA, NFS,Doom and more 3d Games base. MS OneNote and Microsoft Voice commander works only under WM.Wm has better softwares replacements for which symbian seem to offer.
Upgrading the phone under Windows Mobile is a breeze.The Radio Roms are freely available and there are not much chances of bricking the devices under windows mobile PC as Firmware replacement is easier else something goes work.
Infact WM's just about does what laptop seems to do and if i wanted a laptop replacement i had prefer Windows mobile based phone.
There are lots of more goodies for WM and are a fun phone to use.
For example how about i am posting this from my Mobile.

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ me 2... nd for a laptop replacement u need to have a laptop type of budget too... aint that meant for RICH execs??
also there are many people who hav access to the internet only thru their cellfone (we connect it to our pc as well)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
But then arnt Laptops getting cheaper than most phones.Look at Nokia N Series phones n91,n95...we get laptop quite cheaper than these phones.
But come to think of a real laptop replacement phones..The things that comes the closest .Not just being able to do things but being able to do those things with the same ease of the laptop.
Windows 5.0 are really pretty ahead.With windows mobile 5 we can hae all .Net developing program but symbian loses on that front.
We understand usually and take it that iphone from mac is going to be revolutionary. But Windows 5 already does what iphone will do.
*gizmodo.com/gadgets/macworld2007/windows-mobile-5-already-does-what-the-iphone-does-227778.php

Read the review..its not just copy and paste but think over it when we are done reading.
Somewhere iphone will have multi touch and rich text email which is not in Windows Mobile.But then Windows mobile is already there in the market and by the time Apple comes with iphone windows will be ready with WM 2007 somewhere around that time..

OP
dhan_shh

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
Recently,I updated my 'jasjar' with "Crossbow" (WM6) ROM,now the real power of jasjar is realized by me.

Excellent Mail client,far better than any device known so far (Only Nokia 9500,S80 device has near equal mail client but without push email),

Browsing is faster and good with Opera and PIE plus.I am able to browse and access 'Net Banking' using Opera,I don't think any other device does this!

New Adobe Reader LE occupies less space and faster and good in addition to other e book readers,

Only drawback with 'Crossbow' ROM is poor reception of 3G which is expected to get corrected in next update (IN India we are not affected as there is no 3G!)

Newer Symbian v9.2 like N95 is amazing,no doubt! But still lacks the punch of WM,of course this my personal opinion!

oval_man

Journeyman
#$&*^^*&%^%#%#w$&^**)_)*&^t$%@@%#$*%(&_+*)__***&^&*

%$#@&^^%()&^^%(((&^%$&*^()(&&^$#%$%^&&*&(*_*_((*&^%^

**&^^%#^&*&%%$@$$%^&^&*(&*(&_)(**&^%$&^(^*&*&&%^^$&

ksundar

Broken In
My God! still this thread is active? Mods why don't you put a big LOCK to this thread?

I'm allergic to 'windows',prefer 'aisle' !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom