Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
YAOSW!
I have only used symbian OS, so I can post a few pros and cons on it
Pros:-
Wide range of apps available
coupled with nice interface on Nokia phones and SE P series phone, it has become a very popular OS
has backing of various mobile phone manufacturers
has a long history, right since the days of pscion OS
Cons:-
bit of a resource hogger
suspectible to viruses

Pathik

Google Bot
symbian os is the best.. Wm is ok.. This is one platform wher ms oses dont hav the monopoly

K

krazyfrog

Windows OS
Pros- Very similar to PC version, hence very less learning curve for most people, Good compatibility with PC, large amount of available software.
Cons- frequent crashes, app close key does not close apps, only minimises them, closing process is more cumbersome than necessary, older versions had volatile memory (i.e. memory gets deleted when battery dies), higher hardware requirements, no. of apps not as large as Symbian, runs a bit slow, cheapest Windows mobile handset is also quiet expensive.
Symbian
Pros- More stable, higher no. written apps, interface similar to regular cell phones, lower hardware requirements, very user friendly, Symbian phones don't cost a bomb, can be had even in inexpensive handsets like 6600 with all the functionality intact, large range of models having Symbian, so more choice and higher chances of finding one suiting ones needs.
Cons- latest version has few stability issues, solved only after updating firmware
There are more points i missed out, but these are the main ones. I myself would prefer Symbian anytime, especially Nokia Series 60.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well i used a hp palm ... and hav 6600 .... if ind that ms has a different feel to it ... it kinda makes u feel like u wrking on ur pc .... where as symbian doesnt let u forget tht ur wrking on another device (pun intended)

ProDemon

Broken In
Windows phones are 80% PDA 20% phone while
symbians are 50% phone, 30% media player, 10% party camera, 10% PDA( just bcoz you can sync info, typing addresses without qweerty = I am not possible )

A great balance of all these stuff is SE p990i, I love SONY

OP
dhan_shh

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
IMHO,if the memory managemnet is tackled (Hey RAM!!,free RAM!!) with the help of available applications (many of them are FREEWARE) like 'Magic Button',Oxios close apps,hibernate apps,Clear temp,etc.,then the 'real' value of a WinMobile will be exposed.

Browsing is a pleasure in WM5 devices with IE plus,Opera (gr8) and Netfront browsers.In Symbian browsing is slow & I remember browsing is comparable only in 7710 and 9500/9300 but at a slower speed!

Many rare apps like 'Remote PC',Voice Commander are of great value if properly used in WM5.

Reading E-Books is just amazing in WM5,In Symbian threre is NO chm reader known so far,no isilo reader for Symbian v9.1,no tagging of pdf books are some of drawbacks with symbian.But they may be available in future.

NahSoR

Broken In
I use Symbian and it is the best!! Only pros NO cons,

and besides Windows OS is a power drainer comparitively

And Symbian is waay better than any other SE, Moto, Samsung OS atleast, that is for sure.......

And Besides It is not very tough to develop Symbian apps on your own, u only need to kno C++

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
hailgautam said:
Win OS crashes every time i sneeze, beyond that i need not tell, very unreliable

Which Windows OS? The Desktop one or Mobile, this is discussion about Mobile

I have used various Symbian OS based Phones & Just 2 Windows Mobile based PDA phones, O2 XDA 2 atom & Dell Axim

Symbian

Pros

Extremely wide range of apps, which are also small
Made for smart phones then mobile phones.

Cons

For no appearent reason it gets slow within a month or so.
Adding big memory card makes the OS Slow

Windows Mobile

Pros
Feels like Windows, every thing is familier
Made for PDA then a mobile phone
Large number of apps

Cons
Devices are costly, & usually they are not Mobile phones. Well, it's not made for normal phones anyway like Nokia 7610 or W810i, it's made for a PDA like device

hailgautam

Youngling
Great Doubt! :D reasonable as well considering windows has this reputation of making crashy os. However I was talking about the Mobile OS 5.1. I had a O2 XDA II, had hell a problem with it. almost every day it used to crash. and the battery would drain like anything. However browsing Net on Internet Explorer was too good.

K

krazyfrog

The new browser developed by Nokia for Symbian S60 9.1 is said to be the best and most feature packed mobile browser ever, even better than IE in Windows Mobile. All those in doubt are requested to give it a try. You'll agree its the best way to surf on a cell phone.

OP
dhan_shh

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
O2 Xda II has WM2003 OS,

Recent handhelds mostly support WM5 and some even 'Crossbow' (WM6) after ROM update.

Crashing problem is rare in newer devices!

Symbian UIQ 9.1 devices (SE W950i,M600) have built-in Opera browsers,they are better than Nokia devices like N93,N73,E61 etc.,

Older Nokia models like 7710,9500/9300 support built-in Opera browser,

Still,browsing in WM5 needs to be experienced than explained! jus gr8!

Last edited:

ksundar

Broken In
But...Windows mobiles are very Bulky,very expensive even their smartphones.

I'm happy with my 6630 with loads of applications,no hanging,reasonable speed,decent browsing and easy messaging!

I've not used any windows mobile,for me it look more complicated and costlier,no need for a confusing stuff! when u have 'user friendly' Symbian!

aceman

Broken In
ksundar said:
I'm happy with my 6630 with loads of applications,no hanging,reasonable speed,decent browsing and easy messaging!
!
Programming with J2ME is a horrendous mess when you can program with .Net CF2.0,expect lot more application soon as an Integerated IDE is just now developed which ties together Windows Mobile/Pocket Pc/Platform builder (some thing i use for bsp developement) into VS2005.
No more eVC++........yeah.

ksundar said:
I've not used any windows mobile,for me it look more complicated and costlier,no need for a confusing stuff! when u have 'user friendly' Symbian
!

Depends on the user WM/Pocket pc was never targetted at the average customer......it was more the buisness people (palm,blackberry..etc) and they do find the features very usefull and thus is naturally costiler.Do note that at this segment (buisness) we are doing quite good.
Now windows mobile till now ( till Ce 5.0 and Mobile 6.0) , I do agree were very constrained by microsoft deciding what to have and what not to have (and coupled with a 32mb/32 process limitation), but things have changed now, from Ce 6.0 (and the Photon mobile SDK to be released to oem's by the year end ) the
a)UI ( the clumsy,confusing one you refered to) can be customised by the OEM
(for techy guys: UI is only a shell, now any OEM can customize it for their end, just like the iPhone UI for example)
b)It fully supports direct show(atleast the video capture graph) thus camera quality and developement time will for camera will drastically reduce.
c)Has a 2 Gb VM space for user process...........and supports 32k process....well practically somewhere around 100-200 by current H/W limitations.
d)Kernel is completely re-written ...it is lot more stable.....reliable.......efficient.
e)Drivers like Gwes,n/w,fs have been moved to kernel space and run as a kernel mode driver.
and best of all
f)You can program a mobile device with .Net
In may be a year/2 year's time we should be able to give symbian,linux and the wannebe phone (iPhone) a run for their money.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
IT would be better if we talk about the latest Symbian OS i.e. 9.1

The latest Nokia phones with OS 9.1 have Webkit as their browser. It supports RSS feeds, multiple windows, AJAX, Java etc. It also renders full pages in a very unique way.

If you do not want to fit the entire page in a screen, then you can chose to render the full page and scroll. When you scroll, a small pop-up appears, with the screenshot of the page currently open, indicating which part of the page you are currently on.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
JAVA was dying, Mobile phones saved it, & i myself prefer java over .net for mobile phones, cos one program runs on any mobile phone, such as Opera Mini

Windows Mobile 6.0, Photon brings a lot of core changes, it changes the way the UI is drwan on screen, & opens up possibility for hardware acceleration of the UI in phones too (DirectDraw is included)

IE 7 core will be there in Photon, Winodws Mobile 6 still has old IE 6 core, with little enhancement i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom