Switching to Airtel Broadband: Need Some Info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

After much fiddling with my current provider (a local one here in Sector-19, Noida), i am fed up of the notorious tricks he does to save bandwidth from his customers, i have decided to get an Airtel connection. I am opting for the 256Kbps UL @ 649 Plan (its a new one i think, the older one was at 799).

Now there are some questions that i want to clear out:

1. They provide both router and modem for different regn chanrges. Can anybody explain what will be the difference between two?

2. If there is someone from my area here, what kind of speed i can expect? Is 29-32 KBps possible with it?

3. Do they provide shared IP access or the other way, In other words, are their any problem with Rapidshare downloads?

4. How are the speed of torrent downloads and can i setup port forwarding properly on their Modem/Router so that torrents dont slow down?

Please guys, take some time out of your busy schedule and let me know about these queries. I'll highly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
1. They provide both router and modem for different regn chanrges. Can anybody explain what will be the difference between two?
Wiki??!!
Again is a router really required unless u r on Laptop or using more than 1 PC.
2. If there is someone from my area here, what kind of speed i can expect? Is 29-32 KBps possible with it?
Me on Airtel 384Kbps Ul@999.
Get a constant speed of 50KBps as D/l. I guess 30KBps u'd sure get in 256kbps
3. Do they provide shared IP access or the other way, In other words, are their any problem with Rapidshare downloads?
For me its dynamic IP. and I'm not on RapidShare so can't tell.
4. How are the speed of torrent downloads and can i setup port forwarding properly on their Modem/Router so that torrents dont slow down?
Never experienced such problem.
Just balance ur Half-open ports on System and torrent client config.
And obviously follow Naveen_reloaded's tutorial to download torrents. U'd never run out of speed.

Thanks buddy for your quick reply. Just one more query, what are you using yourself, a modem or a router?

And i am on a laptop, just 1 laptop, nothing else, so are there any obivious benefits of router associated with that?

What i can guess is that if i use a wireless router i can use internet without wires anywhere in my home. Am i correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom