Switchable graphics: Which GPU is running my game?

MarveL

Broken In
Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop with switchable graphics (intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 6630M).

Today I was playing Mafia II and i noticed an option called benchmark in the game menu where you can see the FPS rate of the game for your hardware. surprisingly, it showed that the game is using the intel HD chip instead of the dedicated Radeon GPU.

I am not sure why the game is not picking up the dedicated GPU? it's not a ripped game. I have purchased it legally from steam.

I want to see whether my other games are using the radeon chip or not? Is there any way to check which GPU hardware is being used by any application?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Use any temp monitoring app. When dGPU will be in use, it will show its temp a positive value or 0°.
Regarding Mafia II not using dGPU, it may happen sometimes that graphic switching doesn't detects automatically, so assign it dGPU manually.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well actually when you are on desktop the laptop uses Intel Graphics. If in the benchmark you can run everything smooth you are in the clear.

balaji2525

Broken In
Hi,

I have a sony vaio laptop with switchable graphics (intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 6630M).

Today I was playing Mafia II and i noticed an option called benchmark in the game menu where you can see the FPS rate of the game for your hardware. surprisingly, it showed that the game is using the intel HD chip instead of the dedicated Radeon GPU.

I am not sure why the game is not picking up the dedicated GPU? it's not a ripped game. I have purchased it legally from steam.

I want to see whether my other games are using the radeon chip or not? Is there any way to check which GPU hardware is being used by any application?

Hi Marvel, plug in the charger and try, then your laptop will use discrete card.Idea of AMD switchable graphics is to manage power, Intel IGPU needs less power compared to discrete GPU, so, when your laptop runs on battery, intel HD is preferred rather discrete GPU

that is why you would have seen the game is using the intel HD chip instead of the dedicated Radeon GPU.

Aerrow

Journeyman
Hi Marvel, plug in the charger and try, then your laptop will use discrete card.Idea of AMD switchable graphics is to manage power, Intel IGPU needs less power compared to discrete GPU, so, when your laptop runs on battery, intel HD is preferred rather discrete GPU

that is why you would have seen the game is using the intel HD chip instead of the dedicated Radeon GPU.

Surely, that is not the only way.. There shud be a setting within the OS or BIOS which allows you to select one manually?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Surely, that is not the only way.. There shud be a setting within the OS or BIOS which allows you to select one manually?

try running some highend game at extreme setting. if game runs (forget what FPS it gives), it is using AMD GPU. And AMD GPU is used when there is load detected. not all the time.

you can compare your result with benchmarks.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Don't confuse other people by guessing.

Until and unless you set switchable method to use dGPU on A/C and onboard on battery, it won't act like that. If you run game on battery, it WILL use dGPU irrespective of battery left. (Depends on power settings too).

And there's no such setting in BIOS, just in Catalyst.

OP
MarveL

MarveL

Broken In
Thank you everyone, I have downloaded GPU-Z and checked the second tab (GPU Load) while running mafia 2 in the background. I am happy to see that the game is using the dedicated radeon GPU only :)

Still not sure how the benchmark option is falsely showing Intel HD, but who cares! the game runs smoothly on high settings :)

balaji2525

Broken In
balaji2525 said:

Don't confuse other people by guessing.

Until and unless you set switchable method to use dGPU on A/C and onboard on battery, it won't act like that. If you run game on battery, it WILL use dGPU irrespective of battery left. (Depends on power settings too).

And there's no such setting in BIOS, just in Catalyst.

yes switchable graphics can be controlled with catalyst but that reply was not on guess, check the link below

link: AMD Switchable Graphics Technology

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
yes switchable graphics can be controlled with catalyst but that reply was not on guess, check the link below

link: AMD Switchable Graphics Technology

Man, I own the same product and graphics switching never comes "power source based switching" as default. You have to do it actually. The link you gave just says half part of the story.

Top Bottom