Swapping DVD drive for an SSD on my lenovo

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
hey all
I'm going to upgrade my laptop a bit.
I was planning to change my DVD drive(Which i never use) and add an extra SSD.

My laptop config
Lenovo E540.-15 inch-Win 8.1
Processor - i5 4rth gen 4200m
Ram -2*4gb
GPU - nvidia 745 m.
Full hd Display.
500 gb HDD.

so the plan is
1.put the 500 gb hdd in to the dvd drive slot.
2.put a new ssd to the HDD slot.

il be using the new ssd for OS,Games and MS office.
and im planning for a 120gb SSD within 6k.

so my question s how to do it?
Which SSD should i go for.?
What should i check before i proceed?
Has any body done it before?
is the performance change noticeable?
Will there be a change in battery performance?

il start the process after my exams.
any ideas or suggestions will be great

cheers

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
You live in Australia right?
Take a good look at this:
Review Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 20C60041 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
and this:
*www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Lenovo_ThinkPad_Edge_E540_20C60041_Innereien_1_von_1_8335a6ab3b.jpg

There seems to be a mSATA SSD slot on the right side of the wifi card. You can get a mSATA SSD such Samsung Evo mSATA or Plextor M5M. Intel 525 is good but it doesn't come with a screw of that will be a problem. My 128 GB mSATA cost me 8k.

- - - Updated - - -

or is it M.2??
You have to open up and see.

- - - Updated - - -

hey all

is the performance change noticeable?
Will there be a change in battery performance?

il start the process after my exams.
any ideas or suggestions will be great

cheers

After SSD upgrade, you laptop won't lag at all. It won't hang no matter what. Battery life will improve if you don't use your HDD much and keep it idle.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Simply replace the ODD with an SSD or HDD using any converter caddy. Search on eBay for ssd caddy.

OP
sanoob.tv

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
You live in Australia right?
Take a good look at this:
Review Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 20C60041 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
and this:
*www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Lenovo_ThinkPad_Edge_E540_20C60041_Innereien_1_von_1_8335a6ab3b.jpg

There seems to be a mSATA SSD slot on the right side of the wifi card. You can get a mSATA SSD such Samsung Evo mSATA or Plextor M5M. Intel 525 is good but it doesn't come with a screw of that will be a problem. My 128 GB mSATA cost me 8k.

- - - Updated - - -

or is it M.2??
You have to open up and see.

- - - Updated - - -

After SSD upgrade, you laptop won't lag at all. It won't hang no matter what. Battery life will improve if you don't use your HDD much and keep it idle.

yep,Im nw in Melbourne .
Thanks for the links.Il look in to it n let you know.

i got exams till 18th. and will start the upgrade soon after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Simply replace the ODD with an SSD or HDD using any converter caddy. Search on eBay for ssd caddy.

here is a tutorial
lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Im looking in to the caddy as well.but before that i just wanted to know user experience.
im considering msata SSD.

one more question will it void my warranty?i got one year warranty and almost 8 months left in it.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
As long as as you just open the back cover(and do it carefully), you will not void your warranty unless of course you get cheeky and confess opening the laptop. If you delve further(opening more screws) then you will void warranty as the screw required to open the motherboard has the warranty sticker on it. Don't worry, you don't need to go that far.

User Experience:-
For everyday computing, a SSD is above all other upgrades(RAM/CPU/GPU etc). This will make your device blazing fast. You would never want to go back to normal HDDs again.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW For Msata SSD you don't need to remove disk drive or require the caddy. It's plug and play.

SunE

Professional Newbie
mSata SSDs are much more expensive though. It's better to just go with the caddy solution.

BTW I got my Samsung 840 Evo delivered today. Boy is it fast!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
mSata SSDs are much more expensive though. It's better to just go with the caddy solution.

BTW I got my Samsung 840 Evo delivered today. Boy is it fast!

It's better to pay 2k more than to remove the DVD drive.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks a lot for the info... :)
Which one do you suggest??? Budget is around 10k...

Get Samsung Evo 1TB :lol:

I and [MENTION=169037]ariftwister[/MENTION] got Plextor M5M 128 GB.
Performance is amazing. 550 read and 320 write.(Both sequential)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

Lol...
I will almost get another kidney at that price!!!

Will go for the Plextor one then...
Gonna purchase in August!!!:)

OP
sanoob.tv

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
I'm gonna postpone buying the Audio Technica m50 and go for the SSD for sure.
im not sure about the price here.but an upgrade to ssd is definite.

- - - Updated - - -

and one more thing Which one is better mSATA ssd+hdd or HDD+caddy(instead of dvd drive) and 2.5" ssd in HDD bay?

which combo performs better?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
I'm gonna postpone buying the Audio Technica m50 and go for the SSD for sure.
im not sure about the price here.but an upgrade to ssd is definite.

- - - Updated - - -

and one more thing Which one is better mSATA ssd+hdd or HDD+caddy(instead of dvd drive) and 2.5" ssd in HDD bay?

2.5" SSD >> mSATA SSD

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, till now i didnt get that mSATA SSD.:-(

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
2.5" SSD >> mSATA SSD

Wrong assumption. Just because it is small, it doesn't mean it will perform worse. Plextor mSATA SSDs performs better than most 2.5" SATA SSDs. You can check the reviews.
Only PCI-E is better than both SATA and mSATA. This is because of no 6 gbps bandwidth limitation.

- - - Updated - - -

It performs much better than Samsung EVO recommended a while earlier.

IMO mSATA SSD+HDD is better. DVD drive is not replaced. You get a faster SSD than most 2.5" SATA SSDs. I can't see an argument against this setup except a nominal increase in price.

PS: Guys post about mSATA SSDs only after you have even a slight knowledge of their performance,endurance and advantages.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Wrong assumption. Just because it is small, it doesn't mean it will perform worse. Plextor mSATA SSDs performs better than most 2.5" SATA SSDs. You can check the reviews.
Only PCI-E is better than both SATA and mSATA. This is because of no 6 gbps bandwidth limitation.

- - - Updated - - -

It performs much better than Samsung EVO recommended a while earlier.

IMO mSATA SSD+HDD is better. DVD drive is not replaced. You get a faster SSD than most 2.5" SATA SSDs. I can't see an argument against this setup except a nominal increase in price.

PS: Guys post about mSATA SSDs only after you have even a slight knowledge of their performance,endurance and advantages.

Oops My Bad. :eek:
I thought msata is limited to 3gbps. Anyway cost per GB is more in msata due to its form factor.

Top Bottom