Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
What does this file, svchost.exe, exactly do?
Whenever I try to access internet, my COMODO firewall shows it trying to access the network. Is it some windows-file-turned-trojan/worm? What is its exact purpose? I felt that sometime I'm not able to access net after disabling it in COMODO.
Can u detail me on its purpose? And if it's necessary?

It can be a trojan, as indicated by some webpages i got online, but it is in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder itself, which makes it a legal file. Also the virus is of the name scvhost.exe, so I'm not under risk by svchost.

Did anyone face similar problem? Is it needed for networking? Why does my internet play spoilsport sometimes when i disable it? I'm a DATAONE user with some services disabled/in manual via services.msc. Is it guilty? Which service is related to svchost?

Help me someone. URGENT.

Last edited:

blueshift

Wise Old Crow

Svchost, which is short for "service host", is a core part of the operating system that provides support to many of the required services that are Windows.

*support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

Its necessary. Its not a virus

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
I went to both sites. Did some research of my own. Just wanted to know if anyone had encountered the same problem & disabled the svchost?

What is it's purpose when i start my internet? Is it related in any way to networking or updating? I already disabled updating in my windows?

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
yes i was encountering the problem last weekwhen i had formatted it with my XP CD
so i formatted again with my friends CD

sakumar79

Technomancer
svchost is essential for running services, but I dont think it is necessary to connect to the internet... Try disabling access to internet and see if it is a problem. If so, you can reset it later... The only reason I can think that it may need internet access if it is for service such as Automatic Updates or Windows Time Updating...

Arun

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Search for svchost.exe file on your PC. Its location must be in system32 folder in Windows. If it is found elsewere then delete it.

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
as i already said, it's in System32 directory. So might not b trojan.
My doubt is "y does it try to connect online?"

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
koolbluez said:
as i already said, it's in System32 directory. So might not b trojan.
My doubt is "y does it try to connect online?"

Some trojan use it for their purpose so they just add/attach their code to this file.
My suggestion is, get a new copy of this file & then just replace it with an older one. U have to do this by another os or by booting with DOS bootable CD.

shantanu

Technomancer
NO YOU CAN DO IT THIS WAY FROM WINDOWS ITSELF THE SAME PC YOU ARE RUNNING :

type msconfig in run and click on EXPAND FILE then insert your windows xp cd in your cd rom drive

then write in:
file to restore : c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
restore form : x:\i386\ (where x is your cd drive letter)
save file in : c:\windows\system32\

do it and your problem is solved

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Some trojan use it for their purpose so they just add/attach their code to this file.
My suggestion is, get a new copy of this file & then just replace it with an older one. U have to do this by another os or by booting with DOS bootable CD.
Can i get it online? Where?

I tried replacing the one in my system with the one in my WinXP CD. I noticed that the original one is ~6.2kB in size, while the one I had in my system is ~14kB in size. Does the file size change?

Also when I replaced it, my network connections and LAN went kaput! I was not able to access/enable network connections again even though my LAN card was detected and working well. Also my desktop settings and some windows services were not what they were before!

What I would like to know is what all services does this file tamper with? What's it's relation with network services?
A Ctrl+Alt+Del showed 5 svchost.exe's running, 1 for local service, 2 for system, 2 for network services!!! What does it mean?

Last edited:

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ koolbluez

OK to know about services related to svchost.exe, follow these steps.
Open command prompt & type tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt. Now u will get a tasklist.txt file in C:\ drive which contains description of processes controlled by svchost.exe.

These links will also help u

*www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/svchost/

*www.processlibrary.com/directory?files=svchost.exe&showId=24778

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom