SuSe problem.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
the SuSe 9.1 personal i installed using Digit DVD is giving me problems ....
i have 2 logins

arvind which is a user login
root which is a root login (default)

when i login to arvind i m able to get the desktop n able to do everything but admin related things ....

i m able to login to the "root" user ...but am not getting the desktop .... instead i m getting the YaST window and when i close it, the "root" user gets logged off n i get the "login window"
how can i loign to the "root" user n get the "root" user desktop??

though i can do the admin related things by entering the root password in the user login when ever required .... i want the "root" login desktop also ...
PLZ HELP....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
iinfi said:
though i can do the admin related things by entering the root password in the user login when ever required .... i want the "root" login desktop also
Why do you want to get to root's desktop? Especially since you can do all your administration job anyways???

Running GNU/Linux in root user mode is just like running Micros~1 Windows operating system. That is provided as a feature so that you do not mess up your system while loggen in as root. (Remember many servers have Linux installed, what if you mess up with a production server???)

However there's a bypass that you can enable to make root also login into GUI mode.... search for it... it must be somewhere in GDM setup... But it is highly discouraged..

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i did it b4

when i installed SuSe linux for the first time last week ... i was getting the root desktop .......

i was able to connect to the internet using the root user only ....
not the other one ....

i v a reliance FWP (LSP 340E)

i got the driver for it ..... frm the net

there are 2 files upnet.sh to connect n downnet.sh to disconnect the net...

upnet.sh
(its content is)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

echo "user <myTelNo.innumerals> password <actualpassword>" > $HOME/.ppprc

pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug usepeerdns defaultroute noauth connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" at+crm=1 OK "atdt#777" CONNECT' mtu 264

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

downnet.sh
(its content is)
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 pppd

i type
sh upnet.sh

to connect to the net ......

i type
sh downnet.sh
to disconnect the net ......

i cud connect to the net using the root login only ..... not the other one ...
i used to get the root user desktop when i first installed SuSe ...

when i type
sh upnet.sh
in the other user login i get an error "pppd command not found"

i did not get this error when i connected from the root login .....

i tried making the other login as admin .... but its of no use .....
when i install something .... it asks for the root password and when i type sh upnet.sh
i get the same error .....

:-(
plz help

oldmonk

Broken In
The problem is that as normal user pppd is not in your PATH.
u cn iether edit the upnet script and replace 'pppd' with '/sbin/pppd' (and maybe 'connect; with '/sbin/connect') and then try

OR

try this:

open a terminal.
type :
PATH=$PATH:/sbin<enter>
export PATH<enter>
now try upnet etc

if this doesn't work do:
su
<your root password>
then
PATH=$PATH:/sbin<enter>