SuSe 9.1 personal problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smk

Right off the assembly line
Has any one installed suse 9.1 personal. i burned the iso image from dvd on cd . then i tried to install suse 9.1 personal. i had a problem while installing. The installation started but was in text mode only. i could not get it started in graphical installation. i have chosen 640X480 before installation started. though i was able to install in text mode. it was unclear why it was not in graphical mode. i have celeron 600 on intel 810 motherboard with 192mb ram. can any one tell? :?:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
can u tell ur graphics card model? there is a problem with many old asus cards and different linux distros.. maybe ur graphics card is not supported by suse 9.1 but pls tell which graphics card u own...

OP
S

smk

i do not have seperate graphics card. it is onboard only. i have intel 810 motherboard. i think it has graphics and sound onboard. i also think the problem lies with graphics card. b'cause it was detected after the text mode instalation was over and the system rebooted.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Since you have already installed SuSE, so follow these steps...

1) Login as root in a console.
2) Give: # xf86config
3) Follow instructions and setup everything
4) While selecting Grafix card, select i810 card... with 16 MB ram...
5) Pick up horizontal/vertical refresh rates from Windows or select auto if not sure...
5) save and restart X-Server by giving # gdm (or # kdm depending upon what login manager u're using )

i810 grafix card has been supported since long time and there's should be no problems with it....

OP
S

smk

i think i have not reported my problem properly.
i burned the iso image of suse 9.1 personal from digit dvd. when i tried to install there was problem for graphical installation. i was able to install in text mode and os is working properly. the graphics card was detected after installation was over. now i have no problem using it.
but my question is, why i was not able to use graphical interface for installation. as you all are saying that 810 board is not the problem then, is it the problem with cd i burned or is the problem with the iso image given by digit. :?: :?:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If it were the problem because of a faulty CD or bad burning, then you wouldn't have been able to install SuSE, because of broken packages... however its possible that you did not install packages from that broken area on CD...

What you can do is reboot ur computer with that CD and note down the messages that it gives while starting text mode installer.... Go to alternate consoles by pressing ALT + F2 , ALT + F3 and not down any suspicious looking messages from there....

There's no problem with insufficient RAM, or Grafix card... either CD-ROM or its drive might be the culprit...

OP
S

smk

i have got one ref. link. it says same problem what i had. only diff is here it is suse 9.1 pro.
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/231285

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom