Sun prepping Java for iPhone: your craplet investment is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/03/iphone-harry-potter-java.jpg
We're sure there have been some really great Java Micro Edition apps developed over the years, we just haven't been fortunate enough to find any that aren't a Bejeweled variant run into many of them. But that could very well change with the news that Sun is using that fancy new SDK to develop a Java Virtual Machine for the iPhone, which it expects to have ready "some time after June," and which will allow iPhone users access to the vast libraries of existing JME apps. We suppose the real conundrum now is which Java ME app we'll grab first: Harry Potter, or MapQuest Mobile. These choices, they overwhelm us.

Source

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Welcome news. But how has Apple has allowed this to happen? From what I understood, only third party vendors approved by Apple could write software for the iPhone.

Pathik

Google Bot
Chalo, now the iPhone seems to have some potential. Without the SDK and JVM it was %&*&^%.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
God, no! What have we done to you, Sun?

It's bad enough that you have infiltrated Mac OS X. At least leave the poor iPhone alone. Can't you see the tears it's trying to hide? :(

(I hope Apple disallows it.)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
....freakin disease ??
lol awesome, i can feel the quirkiness

wat if it was named iJava ? Would it hav been a blessing then

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What I'd suspected all along is probably going to be true. John Gruber does not think that the SDK allows something like Java to be deployed onto the iPhone, and so do I.

Hah! Take that, Sun. You've already infiltrated everything that is good about technology and have managed to spoil the party. Keep your crap away from the iPhone at least. :lol:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hah! Take that, Sun. You've already infiltrated everything that is good about technology and have managed to spoil the party. Keep your crap away from the iPhone at least. :lol:
Before speaking crap it'd be wise to learn about Java first rather than follow Apple blindly.

They wud say its not possi to deploy java on iphone today; tom they release it and all fanboys hail Apple as if they achieved something like man landing on pluto! :lol:

The implementation of KVM requires interaction with low level system services and as of now I suspect Apple doesn't haf a method to provide this to KVM without opening up the sources. So wait for a while, Apple will implement something, mebbe a new API for KVM and then you'll soon see Java on iPhone. KVM can be run on literally any processor out that.. even your microwave oven!!!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^ Dude, its JVM- Java Virtual Machine.

And btw, whats the reason for hatred of Java arya,
IMO its a pretty good language to code in.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What is the point of Java on the iPhone?

That's an article by a Java developer and lover (I don't know what's there to love but whatever) and, as you can see, even he does not want to see it on the iPhone.

As for why I hate Java, there are several reasons:
1. It is excruciatingly slow;
2. Java applications are ugly;
3. They are non-native, so all the UI elements look out of place;
4. They don't have any of the awesome features we expect from Cocoa applications; and
5. It's cross-platform.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
1. It is excruciatingly slow;
Well, yes it a tad-bit slow, but then again it depends on how the code was written.
2. Java applications are ugly;
Not true.If you use the default swing look and feel, it does look bad,
but you could always use the native look and feel.
3. They are non-native, so all the UI elements look out of place;
Again , one can always use the native look and feel.
Look at these screenshots.
*www.ensode.net/images/mustang_clearlooks.png

*www.ensode.net/images/native_clearlooks.png

See, how close it is to a native look?
4. They don't have any of the awesome features we expect from Cocoa applications; and
No idea on this one.
5. It's cross-platform.
How is this bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom