Suggestions on gaming PC using existing setup

melt

Broken In
Hello folks,

I have this old PC which is sparingly used. It was assembled appx 3-4 years back, don't remember exactly when. Anyways, it is not used much and gathering dust. I was wondering if I can use the installed components as is and by adding graphics card and other necessary components to make it into a decent gaming PC.

Currently it has installed core i3 530, 2.93 GHz processor. It also has 2 GB ddr3 Ram. Case is a iball one, don't know exact model. I can share a picture if it helps.

I cannot find out the model number of motherboard, but It says 'Intel desktop board' in the middle. If you can suggest how to figure out model number I can do it and put it up here.

Any other information that may be needed but not mentioned due to my ignorance please tell, I will look into it and post that information.

I need to know if above components can be used as a base and if by adding/replacing some components the setup can be turned into a decent gaming PC.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer and what kind of applications and games will be run?
Ans: I want to play play games like AC III, IV, Watch Dogs, GTA V(if it ever makes it to the PC), GTA IV, Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution, Crysis I - III, Battlefield 3, 4.

2. Overall budget:
Ans: My budget is around 25K. Max up to 30k.

3. Planning to OC?
Ans: I don't want to OC my CPU but I'm looking for a "factory Overclocked" GPU.

4. Which OS am I gonna use?
Ans: Windows 8.1 64 bit

5. How much Hard Drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 500 GB. Not required.

6. Need to buy a monitor?
Ans: Yes. The resolution should be 1920X1080 Full HD.

7. Components that I already have:
Ans: Mouse, Keyboard, speakers, i3 530 2.93 GHz processor, motherboard (refer my 1st post), 2 GB ram, iball case with PSU.

8. When am I gonna buy the System?
Ans: June 2014.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I've never build a PC before and yes, I'm going to build this one.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I'm in Delhi. Happy to buy from local store. I'll gladly buy stuff from online if the prices are cheaper.

11. Anything else?
Ans: No.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your Processor is the 1st generation Core i series processor which is outdated long back and no Processor or motherboard is available for it. I think you can reuse the components like Cabinet, DVD R/W, HDD etc. However, you have to get a new PSU for sure.

FX-6300 @ 7.4K
Gigabyte GA-970-DS3P @ 5.6K
Kingston 4GB X 1 DDR3 1600MHz @ 2.6K
ANtec VP450 PSU @ 2.6K
Dell S2240L 21.5" Full HD IPS Panel display @ 8.4K
Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 @ 7.3K (*www.snapdeal.com/product/sapphire-hd-7770-1-gb/1906167230)

Total is around 34K. The reason of the little hhigh price is your requirement of a Full HD Display which is almost 2K pricer than a normal 1600X900 display and the choice of Graphics card. You need a HD 7770 to play games at 1080P resolution with mid settings.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Is there a better graphics card you can recommend if i dont buy dell sceeen. I have old monitor i can use on daily basis and I have a HDTV I can connect to if I want to view in high def.

Also, how much can I sell the old processor and motherboard for appx, since I will be replacing them both.

Is cooling going to be sufficient with single cabinet fan? This is the cabinet I have

*www.iball.co.in/Product/Class---X/280

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
You can expect around 3K from the CPU+motherboard+2GB Ram combo. And I don't think your Intex cabinet has provision for 120mm Fan which is required for proper cooling. If it has provision for 80mm fan. buy some good quality 80mm fan like this one: *theitwares.com/computer-hardware/c...s/deep-cool-xfan80l-80mm-blue-led-cooling-fan
Regarding GPU, if you are not getting the monitor then opt for Sapphire R9 270X Dual at 15.2K (*mdcomputers.in/sapphire-graphics-card-r9-270x-2gb-ddr5-dual-x-oc.html?search=270) and Antec VP550P PSU @ 3.6K

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Thanks for the reply. But I guess this defeats the purpose of what I wanted to do- using the old components and adding some to make it into a gaming PC. It doesn't make sense now.

Cilus

laborare est orare
In that case what you can do is to add HD 7770 GRaphics card and another 4GB Ram on it.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
In that case what you can do is to add HD 7770 GRaphics card and another 4GB Ram on it.

How do i check if motherboard is compatible with above graphics card?

Will the addition of these 2 components help to play the above mentioned games at medium settings at least?

Cilus

laborare est orare
All the motherboard comes with a PCI Express X16 slot can accommodate any Graphics card available today. But you should upgrade the BIOS of the Motherboard with the latest one from the manufacturer's site. To check the exact model number of the motherboard, download CPU-Z, run it and post the screenshot of the motherboard tab. You can see the name of the motherboard on that tab, so you can just post the name here too after checking it in CPU-Z.
And yes, HD 7770 will let you play the mentioned games in moderate setting @ 1080P.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Ok. Here is what it says:

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model: DH55PJ; AAE93812-302
Chipset: Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge; Rev. 02
Southbridge: Intel H55; Rev. 06

BIOS version: TCIBX10H.86A.0037.2010.0614.1712 (Please suggest how to upgrade the bios).

1. I am assuming adding the Graphics card & RAM is a Plug-and -play type. Please suggest if otherwise.
2. I am assuming I do not have to change the iBall PSU (250 Watts)? It has pre-installed 1X8cm fan, with option to add another 1X8cm fan in the side panel.

Cilus

laborare est orare
YOU MUST CHANGE THE PSU TO INSTALL A DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD.

Your motherboard has a X16 PCI Express 2.0 expansion slot and you can plug any graphics card.

You can download the latest BIOS of the motherboard for Win 7 64 bit from here: *downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchRes...ds&ProductProduct=Intel®+Desktop+Board+DH55PJ

If you have different OS, just change it to your version and filter.

Regarding update, download the EXE version of the BIOS from here: *downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_De...OSVersion= &DownloadType=BIOS
Now run it and it will update the BIOS automatically and restart the system. Make sure, you have uninterrupted power during the whole upgrade process.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
YOU MUST CHANGE THE PSU TO INSTALL A DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD.

Your motherboard has a X16 PCI Express 2.0 expansion slot and you can plug any graphics card.

You can download the latest BIOS of the motherboard for Win 7 64 bit from here: *downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchRes...ds&ProductProduct=Intel®+Desktop+Board+DH55PJ

If you have different OS, just change it to your version and filter.

Regarding update, download the EXE version of the BIOS from here: *downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_De...OSVersion= &DownloadType=BIOS
Now run it and it will update the BIOS automatically and restart the system. Make sure, you have uninterrupted power during the whole upgrade process.

Ok, I have now installed the latest BIOS of the motherboard and updated the BIOS as per the links above.
Now things I have to purchase:

1. Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 @ 7.3K
2. Kingston 4GB X 1 DDR3 1600MHz @ 2.6K
3. ANtec VP450 PSU @ 2.6K

I also want to add another 8cm fan to the side panel of the case. Can you suggest a fan for the same? Will the ANtec VP450 PSU able to handle the power from an additional fan?

How is this one---> *www.flipkart.com/deepcool-wind-bla...f6e8-bc53-489c-b77b-02b2ae6d5de2#read-reviews

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Any major difference between ANtec VP450 & VP450P?

Also is the 600VA ups sufficient for backup?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Any major difference between ANtec VP450 & VP450P?

Also is the 600VA ups sufficient for backup?

choose the vp450p. vp450 is old and is not recommended as vp450p is cheaper too. check snapdeal. vp450p is at 2.5k

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
1. What is the purpose of the computer and what kind of applications and games will be run?
Ans: I want to play play games like AC III, IV, Watch Dogs, GTA V(if it ever makes it to the PC), GTA IV, Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution, Crysis I - III, Battlefield 3, 4.

2. Overall budget:
Ans: My budget is around 25K. Max up to 30k.

3. Planning to OC?
Ans: I don't want to OC my CPU but I'm looking for a "factory Overclocked" GPU.

4. Which OS am I gonna use?
Ans: Windows 8.1 64 bit

5. How much Hard Drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 500 GB. Not required.

6. Need to buy a monitor?
Ans: Yes. The resolution should be 1920X1080 Full HD.

7. Components that I already have:
Ans: Mouse, Keyboard, speakers, i3 530 2.93 GHz processor, motherboard (refer my 1st post), 2 GB ram, iball case with PSU.

8. When am I gonna buy the System?
Ans: June 2014.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I've never build a PC before and yes, I'm going to build this one.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I'm in Delhi. Happy to buy from local store. I'll gladly buy stuff from online if the prices are cheaper.

11. Anything else?
Ans: No.

Intel Core i3 4130 -7500,
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H -5500,
Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600MHz -2500,
ANtec VP450 -2600,
Dell S2240L LED IPS 22" -8200,
Sapphire HD 7770 1GB -7300.
TOATL -33,600.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Go through the posts 1st...OP is not willing to get a completely new system anymore, he wants to upgrade over his existing system.

OP
M

melt

Broken In
Guys can you please share link to online website/s for purchasing 4 GB RAM as suggested above. Thanks.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Guys can you please share link to online website/s for purchasing 4 GB RAM as suggested above. Thanks.

*www.flipkart.com/kingston-hyperx-ddr3-4-gb-1-x-gb-pc-ram-khx16c9b1r-4/p/itmdnymmwagqzfnm
it should be cheaper than this locally.

Top Bottom