Suggestions for sound cards please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I looked around but couldn't find anything about sound cards. Please give suggestions about the best sound card in a decent budget(Rs500 to 5000). How much better are they from the onboard ones, both for gaming and music? Is creative the only option? I am specially interested in their gaming performance.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Creative leads the pack, but there are others.

1)Gaming: If you have a SoundMAX AD1980 (or better) onboard sound chip, then the quality is almost as good as it gets and the benefits of having a separate soundcard are only limited to EAX 3.0+ (even for this, you must have a Creative soundcard).

2)Audio: Again the SoundMAX (AD1980 or better) onboard does exceptionally here, but the Audigy2 would get you a bit extra quality, I think.

3)DVDs: Here, having a separate soundcard is better. With a good soundcard, you can enjoy a better implementation of DTS sound (onboard sound is only designed for Dolby Digital, not DTS), and have a somewhat better experience.

Creative is the only one with EAX 3.0+ support, but if you care less about EAX 3.0 and 4.0, Gainward is offering a sound card based on VIA's Envy24 chipset that supports 24-bit, 7.1 channel audio and most bells and whistles of Creative soundcards (it costs about Rs. 2000-2200)

goobimama

 Macboy
It also depends on what speaker system you are planning to use. If you use a low end system, then it wont make much of a difference but high end speakers need features like low SNR and 24 bit sound.

Creative Audigy 2 ZS is the best way to go for you.

shakti

Journeyman
Creative Audigy 2 ZS is the best way to go for you.

Edited by aadipa
Removed multiple posts.

Please use Delete button to remove double posts, you can delete your last post if anyone have not posted after it.

G

gxsaurav

what motherboard R U using right now. The onboard Audio these days is really good for anything, even gaming. If U have 2.1 channel Speakers, then stick to onboard Audio

It's only that if U have 5.1 channel Speakers, go for Audigy2 Value, that should be all U will ever need. X-Fi is good but costly & not available here properly

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Hi saurav. I have the intel 915glvg mobo with 5.1 support. I have Altec lansing 251 5.1 speakers. Bye the way thank you guys for all the replies.
Awaiting reply.
Bye buddy.

G

gxsaurav

i would suggest that U stick to the onboard Audio, that is enough for everything.

Gaming will benifit from Audigy because of EAX etc, & since u already have 5.1 channel speakers, U can go for it. An audigy 2 ZS or Value should be enough for all your needs, but i don't know about the price

soham

In the zone
Whats the street price of these cards. Digit hasn't reviewed sound cards for a long time.

jay4u

In the zone
gxsaurav said:
i would suggest that U stick to the onboard Audio, that is enough for everything.

Gaming will benifit from Audigy because of EAX etc, & since u already have 5.1 channel speakers, U can go for it. An audigy 2 ZS or Value should be enough for all your needs, but i don't know about the price

agree with you.... but depends hugely on ur feel and ur purpose and ur pocket.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom