Suggestions For HDD

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey guys, as you guys already know, I got a new system without the HDD.

Now one of my relative is taking the old HDD as I already told at "How Much Should I Sell This For" thread. I already said him that I won't be giving the HDD.

So it's been a week now, and both he and me couldn't make out a 2nd hand HDD.

So I was thinking of giving my HDD. In that case I'd need a new HDD.

So please suggest a good performance + reliable HDD which can match up with my system.

I'd like to go for 500GB HDD. As I'll be using it for long term, I'm not planning to get a 160GB / 320GB HDD and sell it when price gets down and get another 500GB.

So please suggest 500GB keeping the price low as much as possible.

And, keeping in mind the present market prices, I have kept my budget strictly upto 4.5k max. I can't even stretch it to 100 bucks more.

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
Take mine with full warranty sealed(just two months passed, unused) @ 4k.-P It will be better to wait few months for prices to drop. Till then ask your friends if they have any spare hard drive and use it for time being.

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
You can go for green(low pwr consumption, silent and normal/average performance) and blue(normal pwr consumption and good performance). While picking any model check last word in them if there is an X then its a sata 3 drive, if anything else other than X like(S,K,L any) its a sata 2 drive.-) While new one wd blue 500gigs sata3 coming for 4.8k - 5.2k right now, im selling the same for 4k.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ok, how about it's status?? I mean warranty and other things like bad sectors and all??

Can you please post the Model No. of the HDD??

Also where are you from?? I guess mumbai??

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD Green drives have a history of starting with lots of failure, bad sectors and all, but subsequently improved with newer firmware. It was same two years earlier and it is same today. But their service is top-notch, recently got my 2tb HDD replaced without much fuss.

Coming to the point, WD's website shows 2 green 500 drives, sata 3gbps WD5000AADS, the same ones which I purchased 2 years back, no problems so far and sata 6gbps WD5000AZDX which I don't know if available or not. Get the 1st one, it should suffice your needs.

Oh, btw, mine has a 00S9B0 firmware, don't know about the newer ones.

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
There is no problem in drive bro its not even opened yet. I live in new delhi.
Warranty status:
*i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/sangzeel/WD%20Caviar%20Blue%20WD5000AAKX/sangzeelHDDwarranty.png
HDD pics.
*i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/sangzeel/WD%20Caviar%20Blue%20WD5000AAKX/IMG_0444.jpg

*i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz58/sangzeel/WD%20Caviar%20Blue%20WD5000AAKX/IMG_0441.jpg

P.S- You can check out my thread under Bazar section for full details on this drive.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@Skud How about Blue ones instead of Green??

@OSxSnowLeopard So you are the one who's selling the fresh RMA'd drive. BTW I guess you put 3.8k @ [E], so why 4k here ;)

Anyway, let me think, as I'll be going to Delhi on 5th. So you don't have to ship, I can directly collect it from you. And also you can waive off shipping charges from it.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blue ones are faster than Green drives with half the cache. Ultimately it boils down to price. If the price difference is not much, then go for the Blue.

Practically, I haven't found much difference between the two in day to day usage. ;)

susancts

Broken In
Hard Drives from Seagate are good and for approximately 4.5K, you can have Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002. It is 500 GB HDD and works at 7200 RPM.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thanks guys for the suggestion. I'll be going for WD5000AAKX. Now let me think and decide whether I'd like to get a fresh new one or the fresh RMA'd replacement from OSxSnowLeopard

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's where I'm hesitating..!! I never bought anything 2nd Hand..!!

You know, something 2nd hand with others new doesn't match :p

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
Oh. i mentioned my ebay price.:)) 3.8k for here, i still have its box that came along with it from wd to ship it securely.-) Let me know if you would like to buy it.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sure :)

Let me think, and I'll inform you. In the mean time if you get other buyer please do not hold the item for me.

And if I'm interested you don't need to ship. As I said I'll be in Delhi from 5th to 11th. So if you are free within any of these dates we can personally meet and perform the deal. :)

I'll let you know by tomorrow.

Top Bottom